Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread

(1/159) > >>

simon_grow:
I’m starting this thread to track the progress of our Yangmei trees in the hopes of learning as much as we can about this exciting and delicious new fruit crop. I am especially interested in tracking the growth rate, fruiting season, identifying morphological characteristics (leaf shape, size, etc…) and fruit quality of the various varieties.

My understanding is that there may be some varieties that fruit a little earlier or later and it would make sense that there would be males out there that produce pollen earlier or later in the season as well. According to one article I read there are also some monoecious (hermaphrodite) trees out there.

Since this is such a new crop in North America, I would love to gather as much data as possible. Please feel free to post pictures of your trees, links to articles and share your success and failures. There is a lot of information out there but almost all the information is in regards to growing Yangmei in China and some of the information may not translate well to growing this crop in the US.

I recently started a new job so I don’t have as much time as I used to have but I will come back to this thread to post a lot more information and pictures as time permits.

Simon

simon_grow:
Here are some pictures of a variety called Wandao. This variety may ripen a little later than other varieties but ripening times in the US may be very different. The morphology of the leaves may be influenced by environmental factors and stage of growth of the tree so until we get a better understanding of how these trees grow in the US, we should use these pictures for informational purposes only.

Initial observation of the leaves indicate that the leaves may be more narrow. Some leaves have the serrations and some don’t. I have noticed that for many of the varieties, the leaves may or may not show serrations based on the growth stage.

This next variety is called Early Hard and it is supposed to be monoecious (hermaphrodite). Initial observations of the morphology of the leaves indicates it has wider leaves. I have observed both serrated and non serrated leaves on the same tree.

Simon

jtnguyen333:
this will even more popular than your mango thread..Simon.

roblack:
Wandao and Early Hard sound WOW! The cultivars keep piling on.

Here are some pics of Biqis finally waking up for spring:

Should I strip the leaves and wait for buds before trimming and grafting, as with mango or annona?

Jeramyl SoCal:

--- Quote from: jtnguyen333 on March 07, 2022, 12:23:54 PM ---this will even more popular than your mango thread..Simon.

--- End quote ---

WHOA NOW!!!  Slow down there JT.  ;)  That is a big statement.  That mango thread was magnificently popular!  Just teasing you.

Thanks for starting this Simon.  I share the excitement and look forward to adding to this post.  As always, your efforts are very appreciated. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version