Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

questions about Flying Dragon - Trifoliate Orange rootstock?

(1/3) > >>

Lyn38:
I've had a Washingtonia navel for many years and I forget what rootstock it's on but "Flying Dragon" sounds awfully familiar and I think that's what it is. Not sure.. At any rate, I ordered Flying dragon seeds to try and grow rootstocks for grafts from my orange tree. I have some questions..

I guess FD is a deciduous bush. Will it make any orange or lemon grafted to it become deciduous?

Will it support Meyer's lemon grafts also?

Considering it's a dwarfing rootstock will it dwarf or slow a Meyer's even more as they are already pretty dwarfed and slow? Seems like FD is about the same height when mature as a Meyers?

tedburn:
I can answer the first question, the graft won' t get decidious, if its a non deciduous graft.

Lyn38:

--- Quote from: tedburn on March 25, 2023, 02:05:08 AM ---I can answer the first question, the graft won' t get decidious, if its a non deciduous graft.

--- End quote ---

Thank you Ted!

Lyn38:
Oops, I have another question that I cross posted in the general citrus forum. I'm in California. I ordered the seeds from Fla without thinking. Should I grow them out or are they likely to carry citrus greening disease or something just as bad?

drymifolia:

--- Quote from: Lyn38 on March 25, 2023, 02:43:37 AM ---Oops, I have another question that I cross posted in the general citrus forum. I'm in California. I ordered the seeds from Fla without thinking. Should I grow them out or are they likely to carry citrus greening disease or something just as bad?

--- End quote ---

Seeds should be fine. I don't think HLB/greening spreads via seeds
--- Quote from: Lyn38 on March 24, 2023, 11:21:01 PM ---Will it support Meyer's lemon grafts also?

Considering it's a dwarfing rootstock will it dwarf or slow a Meyer's even more as they are already pretty dwarfed and slow? Seems like FD is about the same height when mature as a Meyers?

--- End quote ---

Meyer lemon is unique among citrus in that it is relatively easy to root cuttings. Most of the Meyer lemon trees you'll buy in the nursery trade are on their own roots. So why do you want to graft it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version