Author Topic: Anyone growing Cassabanana?  (Read 5290 times)

natsgarden123

Anyone growing Cassabanana?
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:48:48 PM »
I have lots of fence to grow this on...worth it?

thanks

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone growing Cassabanana?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:53:42 PM »
I will try too... i hope it's good!  ;D

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:55:46 PM »
There must be a special way to juice this fruit, or maybe a special variety that's better than the common types...because the ones I had were not my favorite....but maybe because I didn't know how to eat them...they were all seed...with almost no flesh.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

natsgarden123

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:46:05 PM »
There must be a special way to juice this fruit, or maybe a special variety that's better than the common types...because the ones I had were not my favorite....but maybe because I didn't know how to eat them...they were all seed...with almost no flesh.

Doesn't sound great....

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:33:43 PM »

thanks

Do you like canteloupe melon? If so you will certainly like this fruit. it tastes like a very juicy canteloupe. It's a great fruit. Very popular in Brazil, and they have lots of great fruits to choose from.
Oscar

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:16:51 AM »
I also heard having one in the house fills the whole house with a lovely melon scent. Is this true?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 12:18:30 AM »
I also heard having one in the house fills the whole house with a lovely melon scent. Is this true?

Don't remember mine having any fragrance at all...until i cut into it. They do store incredibly well, just like winter squash.
Oscar

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 12:26:34 AM »
Thanks Oscar.  I left a fresh picked cantalope in the car one afternoon.  That wonerful scent lingered for more than 24 hours. I hoping to recapture that in a house sized scale. Lol.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 12:32:31 AM »
Thanks Oscar.  I left a fresh picked cantalope in the car one afternoon.  That wonerful scent lingered for more than 24 hours. I hoping to recapture that in a house sized scale. Lol.

There is a long keeping melon that gives an incredibly perfumed scent. It's called Queen Anne's Pocket melon: http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/melon/Melon-Queen-Annes-Pocket.html
Oscar

natsgarden123

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 09:02:01 AM »
Sounds like it may be worth the $2 Ebay seed price....
 Those of you who have grown this, did you start the seeds in pots? Direct into the soil? What time of year did you start the seeds?

thanks
Nat

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 10:46:24 AM »
i tried cassabanana last year.  the season here wasn't long enough.  i trick that will help raise germination percentages is soaking the seeds in tepid water - FOR SEVERAL DAYS!  like four or five days.
treefrog land and cattle company

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 09:35:57 PM »
i tried cassabanana last year.  the season here wasn't long enough.  i trick that will help raise germination percentages is soaking the seeds in tepid water - FOR SEVERAL DAYS!  like four or five days.

Well I guess that's why my seeds from Luis didn't sprout. I did not know about the soaking.

Luis, did your seeds germinate?

Oscar, thañks for the link. I will get some seeds.

Nat,  thanks for starting the thread.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 03:10:21 AM »

Well I guess that's why my seeds from Luis didn't sprout. I did not know about the soaking.

Luis, did your seeds germinate?

Oscar, thañks for the link. I will get some seeds.

Nat,  thanks for starting the thread.
Yes mine sprouted...

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 09:41:31 AM »
any more reports on cassabanana growing/eating experiences?

Adam mentioned it being fibrous and seedy, and that's what I thought when looking at the photo that Wilson Popenoe took (on the Morton's Fruits of Warm Climates web page) of the cassabanana in Guatemala, 1916.

Is there a special method to eat it?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 09:59:23 AM »
I had two vines of Cassa. The fruits had absolutely no smell and the ripe fruits could not be eaten as there was hardly any flesh to eat being full of seeds. In little flesh there was, was tasteless . I ate a tender one, it was like eating a firm crunchy cucumber. May be the seeds I bought from TopTropicals or Tradewinds was no good. I had let the vine up a tree and they started spreading to the neighboring betelnut trees and smothering them, so I cut down the vines.The seeds sprout very easily if soaked in warm water and placed between moist towels.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 10:33:37 AM »
any reports from Florida?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »
have 2 growing. i think i planted 4 seeds
didnt do anything unusual to germinate them.
hoping they taste better than the reports.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 05:58:27 PM »
I had two vines of Cassa. The fruits had absolutely no smell and the ripe fruits could not be eaten as there was hardly any flesh to eat being full of seeds. In little flesh there was, was tasteless . I ate a tender one, it was like eating a firm crunchy cucumber. May be the seeds I bought from TopTropicals or Tradewinds was no good. I had let the vine up a tree and they started spreading to the neighboring betelnut trees and smothering them, so I cut down the vines.The seeds sprout very easily if soaked in warm water and placed between moist towels.

I ate them in Puerto Rico, where they are rather popular and sold in roadside stands. They certainly are not tasteless. But there are several different types of them, so some may be a lot better than others. I've seen brown, black, and yellow types. The ones i had in PR were brown. They were seedy and stringy but very juicy and had very nice canteloupe juice taste and smell. They didn't smell until you opened them. It is kind of like a winter canteloupe as they keep for an extremely long time. I opened one up here after 6 months and was still perfectly fine inside.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 07:24:40 PM »

thanks

Growing it, but only seedlings thusfar. The seeds germinate even if moldy. Did no soaking and got great germination despite the package having gone through some pretty rough circumstances (nearly three weeks in transit /customs, sent to Iceland in the winter)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...