Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Sweet Potato

<< < (2/8) > >>

Galatians522:
I can verify that sweet potatoes will be highly productive when grown in 25 gallon pots. You may even be able to grow the vines on a trellis of sorts if you tie them in place. They are crawlers more than climbers.

sc4001992:
If you plant them in a 25 gallon pot, does the roots grow and have the tubers and you can let the vine (with leaves) grow on a trellis like a passion fruit ?

Galatians522:

--- Quote from: sc4001992 on November 11, 2021, 11:45:26 PM ---If you plant them in a 25 gallon pot, does the roots grow and have the tubers and you can let the vine (with leaves) grow on a trellis like a passion fruit ?

--- End quote ---

Yes, with one catch. Sweet potatoes do not have tendrils or twine like climbing vines. So, you would need to tie them onto or weave them into the trellis. The tubers are normal size, thoug. Actually, when the vine crawls along the ground naturally it sets roots and a lot of small potatoes that are not really worth the trouble to clean. If the vine does not touch the ground, it will send all those sugars back to the main root cluster and grow those potatoes bigger instead.

sc4001992:
Ok, thanks for this info. Now it makes sense that my vine was growing outside of the 2 gallon pot and somehow the vine got under another larger pot that was on cement (patio) and it had the small smashed potato in the photo above. Maybe I should transplant my plant and I might find a larger potato in the pot. My vine grew about 20 ft from the pot on my other citrus trees and over the cement patio.

Galatians522:

--- Quote from: sc4001992 on November 12, 2021, 09:55:56 PM ---Ok, thanks for this info. Now it makes sense that my vine was growing outside of the 2 gallon pot and somehow the vine got under another larger pot that was on cement (patio) and it had the small smashed potato in the photo above. Maybe I should transplant my plant and I might find a larger potato in the pot. My vine grew about 20 ft from the pot on my other citrus trees and over the cement patio.

--- End quote ---

I have seen those "sweet potato pancakes" before, too! If you clip the growing tip the vine will branch more and put out side shoots. If you don't, it can grow a long way! I have one that is getting close to 30' long!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version