Author Topic: your favorite soil mix  (Read 15690 times)

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: your favorite soil mix
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 01:57:41 PM »
Fox farm light warrior has never failed me, although quite pricey but always worth it.

FF light warrior is a wonderful soil and as stated on the product , primarily a seed start super mix. But $15 for 1 cu. Ft. Is price ineffective unless you have a few potted trees or other soil options to blend.

My personal favorite soil for potted plants is the Aurora innovations roots organics. Put your hands in it and I think you will agree. $11 for 1.5 Cu. ft. Here.$20 for 3 Cu. ft.
Nothing against fox farm but I mix the happy frog with other soils, otherwise it doesn't root out as quickly and WILL take longer to dry out.
All this talk of paying for mulch and wood chips is so far from where I'm coming from. I have way to much to mulch and wood chip, paying for these free waste products is unnecessary I think. I would think the bagged stuff at the store is much more sterile and has a lot less beneficial micorize.
Tree company's and utility company's hiring tree company's to clear by the power lines are the best choice I have. Friend up someone and see if they can drop the TRUCKLOAD of wood chips near your trees.
Alternatively I go to dumping sites these guys have and load myself with A snow shovel.
There is one site near me with 3 acres of wood chip piles dumped over the last 3 years so you can choose composted Pine for citrus and guava, 3 year old chips that got so hot it's now truckloads of free awesome soil amendment. Or fresh redwood chips that look great, breakdown slow, and are nice to walk on for paths and everywhere.Takes about 15 minutes to load a truck with a snow shovel.
I know everyone would get chips and  mulch for free if possible and I hope those options exist for you out there.
There is also a Organic Materials Exchange website where people list free spent coffee grounds ( citrus, blueberries) animal poops ( bunny and horse), and wood chips. Could be beneficial to get going in other parts of the country. I know people are happy to get rid of this crap, as we are to use it.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 02:04:25 PM »
Adam, pro mix bx $24 for 3.8 sounds like the nice price! I didn't check the link, I figure it's peat and perlite? The comparable mix on this coast is Sunshine mix from Canada , probably up to $31 this year for #4 peat& perlite mix 3.8 size.

Just as of recently, for rare seeds that like an acid pH, I've been using a mixutre of Pro-mix BX http://www.hydroponics.net/i/137312

and Fafard (organic soil conditioner) which is aged pine bark http://adamaskwhy.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/20130201-163718.jpg

this is my favorite potting mix so far...but is a bit expensive...the cheapest place to find Pro Mix BX is at a wholesale place near me  called BWI (Bunch Wholesale Incorporated)...it's $24 for 3.8 cubic feet.

I usually use about 2-3 parts pro mix, with about 1 part of Fafard soil conditioner.  It's lightweight, holds moisture well, and has a good acid pH, below 6.5 I'm guessing.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 02:13:07 PM »
I went to my local City Recycling station for Riverside County.... They advised me not to use the free mulch they load on your truck for anything edible such as veggies and fruit trees... I was told that it should mainly be used for flower gardens, borders, landscaping etc due to its chemical content from Paint chips from old fences, other toxins and chemicals found in their shredded wood and composted matierials...
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 02:35:10 PM »
puglvr1 & nullzero,
For "coarse" perlite, do you mean the largest size particle possible? Also, I fertilize all my plants with Foliage Pro 9-3-6 liquid, would that still be OK for potted mangoes?

puglvr1,
Would a bag of soil mix marketed for Palm & Cactus be OK? Just add your 2 ingredients?

nullzero,
Your process is certainly not hard at all. Should I look for coir of a certain size, or does that not really matter?

Thanks!!!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
This type of perlite is the best; http://hydrobuilder.com/big-chunky-perlite-4-cu-ft-bags.html?dzid=csegps_FX14044&gclid=CKOt76DY6r0CFcg7MgodRC0ArQ

However a little more pricey. The standard size perlite bag is fine, as long as its not crushed and particle size is maintained.

This brand of coco peat is good; http://www.hydroponics.net/i/134607 . You dont want the coco chips, just look for decent quality coco peat with low sodium content. It should run about $10 or so at your local hydro store. Out in the central valley hydro stores should be easy to find.

Btw its safe to assume the 60/20/20 pine bark mix PH is running in the mid to low 6 range.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:48:58 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »
Yes...BWI sells wholesale to the public...im so lucky to have them near my farm...people seem to come from all over FL to buy from them.
Adam, pro mix bx $24 for 3.8 sounds like the nice price! I didn't check the link, I figure it's peat and perlite? The comparable mix on this coast is Sunshine mix from Canada , probably up to $31 this year for #4 peat& perlite mix 3.8 size.

Just as of recently, for rare seeds that like an acid pH, I've been using a mixutre of Pro-mix BX http://www.hydroponics.net/i/137312

and Fafard (organic soil conditioner) which is aged pine bark http://adamaskwhy.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/20130201-163718.jpg

this is my favorite potting mix so far...but is a bit expensive...the cheapest place to find Pro Mix BX is at a wholesale place near me  called BWI (Bunch Wholesale Incorporated)...it's $24 for 3.8 cubic feet.

I usually use about 2-3 parts pro mix, with about 1 part of Fafard soil conditioner.  It's lightweight, holds moisture well, and has a good acid pH, below 6.5 I'm guessing.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 02:48:36 PM »
Null,

Nevermind, you posted the answer.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:51:07 PM by Rtreid »

Treees

• Palm Beach County, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »
Sorry folks, but i am having trouble with the idea of paying so much for soil.  Much rather choose fruit that does well in local soil.  But totally I understand the drive toward the perfect mix for various exotic fruit varieties.  Just not for me.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 02:53:54 PM »
Null,

For your perlite are you using the #4?  The stuff that is also used for hydroponics and is about the same size as the pine bark pieces?

Richard

Richard only about 10% of my plants were using the big chunky stuff, mostly due to was hard to find at a local hydro store (it works well from what I have seen first hand). If I see it and its a good price I go with the chunky perlite, it maintains its size and last longer then the smaller size.

The flushing jabo has standard size of perlite (was used because its easier to find locally for a cheaper price). If I can find a good well priced locally of the chunky perlite, I go with that. I try to stay away from peat moss mixes, because they breakdown after 1 year and don't re wet easily when dried.

Low sodium coco peat excels over peatmoss in everything except lower ph (however the mix is mostly pine bark so this is not an issue). The re-wet ability of coco peat and the longer life (+2 years) make it a no brainer to use for me.

Sorry folks, but i am having trouble with the idea of paying so much for soil.  Much rather choose fruit that does well in local soil.  But totally I understand the drive toward the perfect mix for various exotic fruit varieties.  Just not for me.

This is the reason why I mix my own, I can get the costs down for 2 cu ft. between $8-9. Which I think its very reasonable for a high quality mix that last at least 2 years.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:56:19 PM by nullzero »

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 03:38:40 PM »
nullzero,
As puglvr1 mentioned, her soil mix, and apparently yours too, is very lightweight. Do you have problem with your containers tipping over?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 03:47:18 PM »
nullzero,
As puglvr1 mentioned, her soil mix, and apparently yours too, is very lightweight. Do you have problem with your containers tipping over?

Mix is going to be slightly heavier then Pugs because of the 10% more coir (which  is more water retention). I never had an issue with stuff blowing over, however my trees were not as large and top heavy as others can be.

Using the fabric containers and air pruning containers reduces the wind resistance on the side of the container (because some of the wind strength is able to dissipate through the pores of the fabric or holes of the air pruning.)

If you are using fabric or air prune containers, I would say that even with a tree that is top heavy, its very unlikely it will blow over. Now, if you are using a V shaped or U shaped (that is not a wide type) plastic container there would be an increase chance of plants blowing over. CoPlantNut, talked about this subject in one of his past posts. Saying something to the effect that fabric container resisted being blown over with heavy wind gusts.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:50:41 PM by nullzero »

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2014, 03:52:04 PM »
I have 3 air pruning containers on the way, trying them for the 1st time. Do you recommend  rinsing off most of the soil from the root ball before planting the tree in this soil mix? Are your % by volume or by weight? I'm looking on Amazon for the coarse perlite, the particle size is between 1/4" - 1/2". Would that be equivalent to your "chunky" perlite?
Thanks,
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:54:37 PM by NewGen »

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 04:02:41 PM »
Newgen...that bag should be fine? I'm no expert but I don't see why that wouldn't work. As for the chunky perlite...I usually cannot find that "chunky" bag like Null posted so sometimes I'm forced to buy the regular stuff and rinse the dust off...

When I use the Gritty mix (Turface, crushed granite or Silica sand and Pine bark) I have NO issues with tipping over...but the other mix is much lighter so I put some bricks around the plant or slightly bury it in the soil :o)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 04:05:45 PM »
I have 3 air pruning containers on the way, trying them for the 1st time. Do you recommend  rinsing off most of the soil from the root ball before planting the tree in this soil mix? Are your % by volume or by weight? I'm looking on Amazon for the coarse perlite, the particle size is between 1/4" - 1/2". Would that be equivalent to your "chunky" perlite?
Thanks,

Yes that sounds like chunky perlite. I try to wash off the excess soil of the root ball, however it depends on the plant and how much it does or does not mind disturbance  to the roots. I would also sprinkle the myco mix directly onto the wet root ball to get optimal results.

Sounds like your on your way to a great setup, with choosing the air prune containers.

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 04:18:09 PM »
Yep, the gritty mix is very heavy. I have an Indian rubber plant in a wine barrel. I have to leave it on a platform with casters for ease of rolling it around, good exercise for my lazy self.  :)

Newgen...that bag should be fine? I'm no expert but I don't see why that wouldn't work. As for the chunky perlite...I usually cannot find that "chunky" bag like Null posted so sometimes I'm forced to buy the regular stuff and rinse the dust off...

When I use the Gritty mix (Turface, crushed granite or Silica sand and Pine bark) I have NO issues with tipping over...but the other mix is much lighter so I put some bricks around the plant or slightly bury it in the soil :o)

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »
Do you use a base with your air pruning containers? The mango trees will send roots into the ground without a base, but if I need to move them indoor, I'll have to cut off the roots. With a base, I don't have to worry about that. But, if I let the roots grow into the ground, it may make for healthier plants??

Sounds like your on your way to a great setup, with choosing the air prune containers.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2014, 07:52:43 AM »
Up until recently, my knowledge on soils was real simple, get some Scotts Miracle Grow, which to me is like steroids for fruit trees, and my fruit trees are good to go in the ground.

I'm now starting to gain some knowledge about soils. For example, I was told by someone at TREC that peach trees like a PH of about 7. Yet, at my S. Florida (Miami) location, the PH is higher at about 9. This  can negatively stress the fruit tree, even if the peach tree has the correct rootstock (Flordaguard) for nematodes. My solution to this problem? Make a big hole and fill it full of dirt, and preferably with a dirt that has the correct PH for peaches.
Leo are you sure you have a 9.0 PH? You are not that far away from me.  I have 7.5. Well I finally got a good PH meter should be in early next week.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2014, 02:29:46 PM »
Most Home Depots sell bricks of Coir that you reconsitute in water. 

On a side note, fair bit of warning to those shopping at hydro stores ... there's been reports in my area of police camping out by these stores and then following or tagging customers ... maybe it's paranoia, but it's enough to make me want to only go to nurseries or big box stores for items, sadly.