Author Topic: Where to buy mango tree in socal?  (Read 4493 times)

nikedunks

• orange county, CA, 10
    • View Profile
Where to buy mango tree in socal?
« on: January 02, 2017, 01:26:19 AM »
Hi all,

I'm looking for a place to buy a couple mango tree for the new house in orange county. I love mango, but not enough to know the types that i'm eating. I'm thinking about getting a nam doc mai and a kesar; those two seem to be the tastiest from forums that i've read.

Anyone in orange county know where i can purchase dwarf nam doc mai and kesar trees?

Thanks in advance,
Nike Dunks

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy mango tree in socal?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 01:37:30 AM »
Mimosa Nursery in Los Angeles carries Nam Doc Mai and many other varieties of Mango

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 01:49:43 AM »
My favorite local spot is Champa nursery in El Monte, but that is in Los Angeles county.  Prices are the best I've seen so far in the Los Angeles area for Florida grown trees.  Btw, many of the Orange County CA nurseries get their trees from Champa.  Champa will probably have the most selection.
It's best to call to see what varieties they currently have in stock.  Jimmy, the owner, is a really nice guy.
In past visits, Champa has carried NDM#4 and Kesar.  NDM has a florally scent/flavor while Kesar has a strong Alphonso-like piney taste.  It's too bad we CA folks don't have mango fruit stands like Florida has so that we can try different variety fruits before buying trees.

To answer your original question, some Orange County CA nurseries that sells mango trees are:
Laguna Hills nursery, Green Mart, Mimosa Anaheim, Flowerdales, and Emily Garden.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:03:13 AM by wslau »
Warren

Brebarian

• USA, CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 03:40:21 AM »
I have to second the LA stuff, if you're willing to drive.

I was at Champa just last week. Their selection is good but a little limited in variety because it's the winter season. I saw 10 or so varieties. Jimmy said they would have their full selection (>20) later in the spring. Mangos are 30% off at the moment and I picked up a very nice Pickering there. I don't remember seeing Nam Doc Mai or Kesar there but I would call Jimmy and ask. Also something to keep in mind, I believe everything at Champa is on Turpentine rootstock.

I was on the phone with Mimosa LA a few days ago and I was told they have some Nam Doc Mai on Manila rootstock. Have no idea if it's #4 or not. I was also told Mimosa also has some Glenn on Manila rootstock as well. I guess everything else is on Turpentine.

Can't speak to anything in OC, but good luck with your hunt!

nikedunks

• orange county, CA, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 03:04:14 PM »
Thanks all for the great info! I'll give champa a call this week. Are you guys having much success like the rest of the forum members in LA with your trees?

What's the difference between the two rootstock?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:06:01 PM by nikedunks »

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 01:47:21 PM »
if you know how to graft just buy or plant your own manila rootstock...you can buy from lowes or homedepot and then graft the variety you want...if not mimosa or champa are good place to go

nikedunks

• orange county, CA, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 01:34:55 AM »
if you know how to graft just buy or plant your own manila rootstock...you can buy from lowes or homedepot and then graft the variety you want...if not mimosa or champa are good place to go

nevermind. i got the answer on google :) Thanks for the suggestion. I think i'll stick with the tree for now, and graft once it's grown. That is a very good suggestion. imagine a tree that produces all the favored mango variety!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:54:58 AM by nikedunks »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk