Author Topic: garcinia  (Read 13244 times)

edself65

garcinia
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »
I was wondering which garcinias are everyone growing? and fruiting?

Here is a photo of one my favorite garcinias that I am growing. It is a Mexican Garcinia Sp.

Ed

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: garcinia
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:09:27 AM »
Nice garcinia plant.   :) Is that the same thing as mangosteen?
Alexi

edself65

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »
No but it is a relative that is hardier and much easier to grow!

Ed

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »
Is this the garcinia from Luc? How old is that plant?

edself65

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »
Yes, I got the seeds from Luc about 4 years ago. This plant is between 3 and 4 years old. It held up very well to the freezing weather we had a few weeks ago in Central FL.

Ed

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »
Ed, it's not that big for being 3-4 years old. Do you think in ground it would grow faster?

I've made the experience, that many plants didn't grow a single inch while potted, but once in ground, the started like rockets..
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:32:27 PM by Felipe »

edself65

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 12:18:05 PM »
I believe it probably would be bigger. The first year it was neglected in a crowded community pot in the back of my green house in Texas. Once I repotted it with single plants to a pot growth rate was very good. And it has increased in size by over a 1/3 since I moved to Florida almost a year ago.

Ed

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »
laterifolia(achachairu)...big one that I hope is close to blooming, also have a grafted plant and several seedlings from PR.
madruno(madrono)...couple big ones planted together in one hole and several seedlings from PR.
livingstonei(imbe)...4 big plants.  All have bloomed...all male except one that had male and so far one female or hermaphrodite.
macrophylla(?)(cherichuela)...grafted from Bill Whitman's plant.  Very small with very little growth.
edulis/intermedia(lemon drop mangosteen)...several seedlings and one grafted plant from PR.
mangostana(mangosteen)...couple seedling plants and one grafted plant from Thailand that doesn't know whether to live or die so it just stays between both.
accuminata(bacuri??)...seems to be some confusion as to whether or not this plant is/was g. madruno.  Single seedling.
prainiana(cherapu)...one large and one small seedling.

I've gotten to try most of these and more in Thailand and especially PR over the years...except for the cherapu.  Here's a link to some pics of my garcinias if interested.
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ohiojay/ZAA33%20January%202012%20Greenhouse/?start=all

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »
Ed,

That tree grew for the last 3 or 4 bitter Winters in TX? not FL!

I think it's gonna like its new home...Keep in a pot! I imagine it would be a hard tree to dig in 5yrs...the roots wound around the container bottom very very long.

And also your location will see temps in 20's sometimes briefly, (if u lucky) that tree needs FULL FULL sun 1000% lots of heat/moisture, and a little micro/and other fertilizers applied frequently in small doses.

I'm so happy you got some of these close to fruit!  They are the Beez Kneez for us in Central FL. ;D ;)

Adam :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
Clusiacaea

in the house:

G. intermedia
G. brasiliensis (supposed, flowers coming so we see i guess)
G. laterifolia
G. new mexican sp. 8)
G. livingstonei (fruiting) :)
G. magnifolia
G. ?? (sold as prainiana, but most likely a madruno sp. >:()

Need more G. sp to add to list!!! its too darn short! :-[

Adam
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edself65

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 02:30:07 PM »
Nice photos Jay!

Yes Adam those first few years were in Texas and I was trying to get my plants through several winters when the temps dropped down to low teens!

I am hoping to see flowers/fruit soon on my Mexican (Luc) garcinia sp.!

Ed

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »
What is the lowest temp that these plants can stand? I have a few in pots, contemplating putting them in the ground, is that a bad idea? In my area, cold winter temps can be low 30s F. Can Garcinias fruit in containers?
Thanks,

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
Jay,

I was wondering which of your garcinias you felt was the most precocious, while still likely to be self-fertile.  I've been leaning toward getting a laterifolia from what I've studied so far.  Ideally, I need a plant I can keep less than 6 feet high.

I don't think a garcinia would appreciate summering outside in Colorado, so it would be kept in my basement plant room at a fairly constant 65-68 degrees at night, 85-88 during the day, 70-90% humidity, and 365 days a year of "sun"-- but I only have 6 feet of clearance. 

Thanks,

Kevin

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »
I'm going to guess at laterifolia and intermedia...hoping anyways!  Mangosteen is a sure bet on a single plant fruiting but...

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 07:52:04 PM »
The Achachairu (Garcinia spp?) is an awesome fruit ! One of the BEST garcinias I have tasted 

FloridaGreenMan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 07:56:20 PM »
What is the lowest temp that these plants can stand? I have a few in pots, contemplating putting them in the ground, is that a bad idea? In my area, cold winter temps can be low 30s F. Can Garcinias fruit in containers?
Thanks,

They seem to handle 32F with no damage, I suppose temps of 25-28F could prove fatal if sustained for more than 8 hrs.

They can easily be fruited in pots, i have seen several species fruiting in pots and have some myself.

Be careful, once you grow garcinias, its over! u r hooked.  :P

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 07:58:45 PM »
The Achachairu (Garcinia spp?) is an awesome fruit ! One of the BEST garcinias I have tasted 

Noel,

Looks like what they call the G. santa cruz i think...

until I see leaf....were they pointed almost like mango?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »
I have achachairu, one grafted and a few seedlings. Biggest seedling is about 3-4 ft.
Madruno, just a few seedlings. Biggest is also about 4 ft.
Mexican Garcinia, A bunch of first year seedling. about 6 inches or so.

All of these have seen temps down to around 32 with mo protection. Even the little Mexican Garcinia seedlings.

I gave up on mangosteen. Killed one grafted one and many large seedlings. After about $300 worth of failure I called it a day.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 08:22:28 PM »
G. Brasiliensis (laterifolia?) grafted
G. madruno grafted
G. intermedia
G. Sp. Luc's Mexican
G. mangostana
G. livingstonei
G. acuminata
G. aristata (maybe dead?)
G. laterifolia
G. macrophylla

I hope to add a 2 nose garcinia this year.

None of them are fruiting yet.

-Ethan

edself65

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »
My Mexican Garcinias came through the freeze here in the high 20's a few weeks ago without any damage. The small ones about 1 foot tall in pots were exposed to the north wind.

Ed

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 12:36:34 AM »

Noel,

Looks like what they call the G. santa cruz i think...

until I see leaf....were they pointed almost like mango?

I've seen a few different species names for the same fruit. I guess G. santa cruz is another to add to the list. Maybe one day with proper DNA testing the Garcinias will be properly labeled.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 12:58:29 AM »
I have:

Garcinia xanthochymus  pretty big, about 7ft in container, has not fruited yet.
Garcinia aristata small , but seem to be faster growers than mangostana. have about 6 of these, only inches tall though.
Garcinia mangostana, also small, biggest maybe 8 inches . have only 2 of these.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 01:01:07 AM »
I've seen a few different species names for the same fruit. I guess G. santa cruz is another to add to the list. Maybe one day with proper DNA testing the Garcinias will be properly labeled.

Ya, and we can stop arguing!  Garcinias and annonas seem to evoke the worst of debates!!  I just keep collecting, learning, and tasting!  I want a variety of species to say the least...G. parvifolia is supposed to be nice!

For now its who's the baby's real dad on Maury instead...why can't we spend some money on finding the garcinias real daddy?

Mod Edit: To get the quotes to work properly make sure to keep the first set of info in the brackets that mention the username and stuff.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:06:16 AM by murahilin »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 02:16:47 AM »
Adam, no such thing as Garacinia santa cruz. I was calling it Achachairu from Santa Cruz to distinguish this fruit from other achachairus in Bolivia. All the rheedia species in Bolivia are called achachairu. There is also no such thing as Garcinia laterifolia. This is a name error, it is not an accepted name.  (See plantlist. org)So for now this plant has no official latin name. I'm just calling it Rheedia sp. or Garcinia sp.
It's a nice fruit but in my opinion not as good as a mangosteen, but sure is easier and faster than mangosteen.
Oscar
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »
Oscar...I thought the "laterfolia" was misidentified as brasiliensis by Bryan and others but later determined to be laterifolia?  There are all kinds of publications from independent to government and they all refer to laterfolia.  How is this a name error and not accepted?  Is plantlist.org the lead dog on naming?  I see where some still refer to this as brasiliensis.  I've always seen Whitman's cherichuela referred to as garcinia spp.  I also see the achachairu referred to as garcinia sp.  This is terrible that such an important fruit family of plants can be left in such a state of confusion.  So if laterfolia is not recognized as a proper name, why do these pubs continue to use it?  So one can assume that garcinia sp/spp is given to a plant that they have no idea how to name yet?  I know this horse has been beat to death and beyond but it seems to just get more confusing each day that goes by.  I like laterifolia.  It has a nice ring to it.  All in favor?!!!  Say Aye!   ???