Author Topic: achacha (garcinia humilis) seeds  (Read 3438 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
achacha (garcinia humilis) seeds
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:58:02 AM »
I have been growing 20 achacha seeds for 2 months now. I have 1 sprouted seedling and it has 3 stems with leaves. I carefully checked some seeds and they still look green behind the peel and saw a small root on 1 seed. Some are not so green anymore so i hope they are not rotting.

I read they sprout very slow but how long did it take you to get them sprouted?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:01:31 PM by bangkok »

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Re: achacha (garcinia humilis) seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 04:36:57 PM »
From my experience, Most Garcinia species that i have took about 40 days to sprout except Garcinia macrophylla which took 5 months.
Moh'd

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 04:46:43 PM »
Maybe try bottom heat to speed up germination. I'm just guessing but I would think 80-85 F would increase speed of germination. If they take too long to sprout, you have to worry about damping off.
Simon

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 06:03:13 PM »
80f would constitute bottom cooling I think.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »
MikeT, you got a point, I forgot to check where he was coming from! Now I see he is from Thailand. Here in San Diego we are still experiencing nights around 50F so bottom heat around 80+ helps accelerate germination.
Simon

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »
Some pop up in weeks, others take months. Try to keep them on the dry side until they germinate as the slower ones do rot if kept too moist.
Treat them good as they are getting scarce around here. The big farm seems to have pulled out of the local market and are sending the fruits to Europe as Marks and Spencer ad the likes are raking in bucks for them...

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 08:57:36 PM »
Okay so it can take some months, well i will just be patient and not overwater them.

Marksandspencer also has shops here but only for clothes. It is very warm also at night so temperature is not the problem i guess.

If it takes several months in Thailand then i wonder how long it takes in colder climates. Well i 'm happy anyway with my sprouted one but better have a few more because here anything can happen. Last week we had (a little) salty water out of the taps, the waterlevel in the river was so low that the sea came in the river. Haven't seen any rain for 3-4 months now.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 09:14:59 PM »
In our wet, warm climate I push the seeds only about half way into the medium and keep moist.  they come up in 3-4 weeks.
Peter

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 03:33:34 AM »
Now after growing the achacha's for 9 months since i got the seeds the biggest one is about 30 cm tall. They  grow as fast as white jaboticaba's who are 25 cm in average.

About 6 seeds finally sprouted out of 20, which is enough for me. The biggest one gets the most sunshine but they are all under a shadenet.

I will put one with shadenet in full sun to see if i can speed up growth.

I made the mistake of keeping the seeds to wet so they started rotting. Soon i will plant one in full soil at it's final spot which gets full sun all day. Shadenet works very good.

So i think they don't grow slow, garcinia intermedia is much slower. Also i saw pictures of achacha's growing in Taiwan and they also grew fast like mine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk