Author Topic: Pitomba leaves, need help.  (Read 2423 times)

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
Pitomba leaves, need help.
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:24:43 AM »
Hi, just wondering if anybody might have an idea of what's going on with my pitomba.
The leaves keep turning brown from the tips and dieing back about half the length of the leaf and then seems to stop. Some have gone a real light greeny white and looks like cell damage probably from the cold  but just wondering anybody's thoughts. My other pitomba is going fine so could it be a nutrient problem or maybe just some sort of disease.

Regards Don

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: Pitomba leaves, need help.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 03:32:33 PM »
I have the same problem with my only pitomba, did yours got better? I think she will be fine, maybe I will add something to the soil to be more acidic...

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »
I think some dieback is normal at least here in Florida. I have a few small branches that died and the rest of the tree is pushing really healthy growth and larger leaves.
-Josh

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 06:02:43 AM »
Yeah all sorted now. Little dieback of twiggy branches on one but both are covered in a mass of flowers at the moment.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 08:06:14 PM »
Yeah all sorted now. Little dieback of twiggy branches on one but both are covered in a mass of flowers at the moment.

Don , this one has been my problem child ( read Eugenia ) also , has been flowering for 2 years after a very long wait and still nothing . It's a good thing I don't always carry a machete all the time ...the older I get , the more cranky about certain things ...like putting your hope in finally being able to taste this MF....In the old days of the yahoo-rarefruitgroup I was reading this report by a certain DON ( wasn't you I hope ) about 3 fast growing and fruiting Eugenias in less than 3 years  . Pitomba was one of them , Grumichama also , don't remember the 3rd one , too long ago . If I ever remember his full name he's gonna get a not so nice email from me .....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 06:22:37 PM »
Haha not me Mr Luc! I wasn't around in those days of the yahoo group, wish I was though with all heltons rare offerings. I got all my pitombas as foot tall trees. One from bmc and another from forbidden fruits nursery. The one from bmc didn't fruit for a while then it put out about 50 fruit that were small and totally seedless and the other only first fruited 3 fruits start of this year. Now both are absolutely covered in blossoms. One around 3' tall and the other 2.5' tall. I must say though the fragrance of the flowers reminds me of when you walk into a busy pub and the smell of stale beer from the carpets. Not a bad smell but a smell that reminds me of being a kid and going to the pub for lunch with the folks.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 07:58:45 AM »

Both my Pitombas in full flower, they are chockers.