Author Topic: Fingerlime find.  (Read 4548 times)

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
Fingerlime find.
« on: May 23, 2015, 07:58:18 AM »
Haha can finally post photos! Has been doing my head in with the old phone but now she all good. Just a test post to make sure it all works. Went out for a bushealk a couple of weeks ago and stumbled upon 3 wild fingerlime trees, just a couple of random photos. One of the trees had very attractive large leaves and the fruit were dramatically larger than the ripe fruit from the other two trees. Smaller ones had a nice mild lemon flavour. Two small leaved small fruit trees were about 4 metres tall and the large leaf was about 1.9metres tall. Hope the photos turn out. Don

Don

• View Profile
Re: Fingerlime find.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 08:02:49 AM »
Try again.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 08:05:48 AM »
Nah, don't know where its goin wrong. Anybody point us in the right direction? Do I have to resize it? Sort everybody

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 09:11:58 AM »
If you are using Chrome try Firefox. I can't post pics through chrome on my android phone
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 05:59:36 PM »
Got windows phone and it comes up with imagepost .org. Never used to let me pic photos with the old phone but now I can pick the photos and it comes up with the downloading bar but doesn't come up on the post.

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 06:34:56 PM »
Get lots of seeds.  :)

If you are using Chrome try Firefox.

I was intimidated, but this worked for me, intuitively, on the first try.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 06:56:10 PM by Ansarac »

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:06:27 PM »
Nah, don't know where its goin wrong. Anybody point us in the right direction? Do I have to resize it? Sort everybody

Don , are these the ones you are trying to load up ?

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 11:20:36 PM »
Yeah and some others Luc. Do you have to register to use postimage.org?

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 02:15:19 AM »
Great pics don and these show the kind of light conditions required for the tree to thrive--which is low light. I talk about this in my thread about growing them.

Those trees would be very, very old.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 12:25:21 PM »
Great pics don and these show the kind of light conditions required for the tree to thrive--which is low light. I talk about this in my thread about growing them.

Where do I find this thread Luke ?

Don , I just click on ‘ Add image to post ‘ a window appears and there I pic from my computer ....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 05:28:27 PM »

Where do I find this thread Luke ?

Don , I just click on ‘ Add image to post ‘ a window appears and there I pic from my computer ....

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=10228.msg131120#msg131120

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 06:21:05 PM »
Yeah got some other good photos of terrain and conditions starling but I load them to imagepost but cant transfer them for some reason. I can send the other photos to you starling if you want to post them. Can send photos through email but that's it. Bloody phone, need to get me a compute!

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 06:27:54 PM »
Yeah got some other good photos of terrain and conditions starling but I load them to imagepost but cant transfer them for some reason. I can send the other photos to you starling if you want to post them. Can send photos through email but that's it. Bloody phone, need to get me a compute!

for whatever reason, this site struggles with pics uploaded from IOS type devices--though in my experience, it works more often with iphones--I've never been able to upload via ipad.

PM your email, I'll message you and you can send them to me and I'll upload them.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 06:41:30 PM »
Not sure why, but almost every night I get one or two tawny frogmouth owls standing sentry over my fingerlime grove. I wonder what they're doing? I guess a moth or something they eat is attracted to the trees.

For the non-Australian members, the tawny frogmouth, although commonly called an Owl, is actually not an owl but a type of nightjar. They eat insects, small frogs and microbats, and try to camouflage in the daylight ( they are nocturnal) by pretending to be broken tree branches.

A friend of mine who does animal rescue has a pet one named gus. He reared it from a chick, tried to set it free but it just never left and hangs out on his clothesline all day asking for pats ( and food).

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 06:48:16 PM by starling1 »

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 07:04:19 PM »
They are a cool critter, had a mate that used to have them breed in the big ironbark that grew in the middle of his dam. Every year they came back to the same fork in that tree and produce 3 chicks. Scare the hell out of ya when your walkin through the scrub and you feel the breeze come off their wings but you don't hear anything.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 07:55:45 PM »
Here are the pictures Don took of the fingerlimes he discovered growing in their natural habitat. Some very picturesque country. As you can see, the trees are in very low light, which is optimal for them. Do not try and grow them in full sun; they will no do well, and will generally hate you for doing that.

Note: These are not my pictures, and I don't have seed to trade! If you want to work that out, please PM Don.

It probably took quite trek through the bush to find these.

These are the only ones I could get to work sorry Don, I get error messages when trying to upload the others. Weird.

*update*

Ok, let's see if this works; I copied them onto my desktop and will try to upload via that que.

Seems to have worked.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:25:38 PM by starling1 »

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 08:17:13 PM »
Thanks Luke, yes very nice country. They were about 5 metres from a creek too.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 09:53:08 PM »
Don , this looks exactly like the area where I am and I have an 8 to 9 month dry season , so , finger limes should do well .

Took Luke’s advise and dumped some Epsom salt on my tree , unfortunately it is close to 1.70 meter and cannot be moved out of the ‘ Full sun '
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 03:57:48 AM »
They still don't mind full sun, I want to go and visit a tree I found out near ormeau about 10 years ago, not sure if it will still be there but it was growing in full sun and straight out shale. Tree was around 4 metres tall back then so hopefully it is still there and in fruit. It had heaps of seedlings under it too but the ones I dug up never survived.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk