Author Topic: Eugenia Florida  (Read 4653 times)

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
Eugenia Florida
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:39:16 PM »
Hi all, just scoutin around my plants this morning and I looked at the new growth on my Florida seedlings and I had to sit and scratch my head for a while... I think the bugger is flowering! I only received seeds of this one last October and I had a hard time germinating them in the pot of dirt(my fault) and these were the first seeds I tested germinating in a zip lock bag after I dug them up at Christmas to find a few had rotted. The first one that came out of the bag with a small root I planted and it really shot off compared to the couple that followed. This first plant is now about a foot tall and was punching out new buds at the base of each leaf so I was nipping out most of them and only left a few near the top to try and leave the trunk bare. On closer look at the shoots today there looks to be flower buds between the bud and trunk of the plant. This plant is well under the year old mark and seeds were from Miguel. Sorry but I cant post photos but if somebody wants I could send some to them to post.
Kind regards, Don.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Eugenia Florida
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:03:15 PM »
Don,

i have your back, for the love of science, and for posterity... :D

email me the file and I'll post it for you.

it sounds very interesting.

Hi all, just scoutin around my plants this morning and I looked at the new growth on my Florida seedlings and I had to sit and scratch my head for a while... I think the bugger is flowering! I only received seeds of this one last October and I had a hard time germinating them in the pot of dirt(my fault) and these were the first seeds I tested germinating in a zip lock bag after I dug them up at Christmas to find a few had rotted. The first one that came out of the bag with a small root I planted and it really shot off compared to the couple that followed. This first plant is now about a foot tall and was punching out new buds at the base of each leaf so I was nipping out most of them and only left a few near the top to try and leave the trunk bare. On closer look at the shoots today there looks to be flower buds between the bud and trunk of the plant. This plant is well under the year old mark and seeds were from Miguel. Sorry but I cant post photos but if somebody wants I could send some to them to post.
Kind regards, Don.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 11:42:02 PM »
Photos sent Adam.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 11:52:50 PM »
ya looks like flowers trying to form!

let me know if we aren't mistaken!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 12:01:40 AM »
No problems! Let me know what you think Miguel if you see this. Will have to start pampering my other ones I think.

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 02:26:10 AM »
Hi Don,

My first tough is that it is too late in the year for flowers... but then I realised you are in Australia so your spring is about to start...LOL

That really look like flowers forming all right... just wait some more days and you will have confirmation... those flowers should grow like racemes... congratulations!

You really should be doing something right because that level of growth for one single year is spectacular!
I remember that mine took some more time to flower and fruit but I left all seedlings together on a communitarian pot for 2 or 3 years and only then I separated those and planted on individual pots.,,, there is probably a lesson to take here... just plant those in individual pots ASAP to accelerate growth.

For all other that still don't have this species, I'm happy to confirm that I still have many fresh seeds available now... this year I protected the tree with a birds net and it worked just fine... so if anyone is interested please PM or Email me... thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:34:22 AM by Miguel.pt »

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 02:48:48 AM »
Thanks Miguel. I started off planting all seeds in community pots but I love experimenting so did some in community pots and some singles. I have noticed that seeds planted singularly have a better start and uniform growth. When I dig plants out of community pots they seem to have a slight dormant period while the roots reestablish I take it. I plant all my seeds in single pots for the last 12 months but planted in 4" rounds, they have done very well but I run out of room quick and it is quite costly so I have been trying 90mm x 90mm megatubes so I can fit more in and they concentrate root growth straight down I tend to find. But this one Florida tree is a special little freak as he is 3x the size of his siblings. I really noticed a difference when it went in the water well pot too so I think they love a bit of water.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »
Congrats Don an Miguel.

Don: when it fruits, it would be great if you share some seeds of it to many people around the world so they will have the precocious e. florida too.
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 09:26:42 PM »
The pictures were pretty surprising to me.  E. Florida is much less like E Candolleana with close up pictures than I though, using the pictures I had been going by.  Thanks for them!

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 11:03:58 PM »
Yes totally different to candolleana. Very pretty little plant with big leaves. Will definately send seeds and return the good faith I have received on this forum.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 11:22:49 PM »
Just checked it again before and they are definitely flowers. Measured the tree and it is 45cm tall and no older than nine months.

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 02:25:12 AM »
I propose we baptise this E. florida variety as:

"Speedy Gonzalez"...or "Fast and Fury"... or "Usain Bolt"...

any other options?

P.S.: I though to call it "Premature Ejaculation" too... but maybe this is a less commercial name. What do you think?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:30:12 PM by Miguel.pt »

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 02:33:25 AM »
The Portugese quickie? Haha

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 02:42:41 AM »
YEP... if I ever create my own web page to sell seeds my slogan will be:

PORTUGUESE SEEDS DO IT FASTER!

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 02:53:09 AM »
Haha, gold! Instant pleasure fruit tree nursery. For the dirtiest garden ever! Now for the Calycinas, I'm putting your stallions to the test Miguel.... Flowers in under a year as well. I'm gonna do it!.

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 04:50:40 PM »
Good luck my friend!... I believe it's possible.
here is one calycina flowering at 2 years of age and less than 50 cm high

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 06:21:48 PM »
Damn…..you guys are good - Miguel and Don - after reading this I ran outside checking for flowers …..None …

I blame it on the Fukushima radiation ….
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 01:27:58 AM »
Haha you should be pickin Florida fruits the size of apples if that's the case Luc, ill take ten seeds! Haha

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 05:10:15 AM »
You been gettin some rain yet Luc? Just got a nice little shower to water in some seeds I just planted but other than that has been fairly dry here but down in Sydney they got hammered at the start of the week with rain and big hail.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 05:19:36 PM »
Another update on the freaky Florida, it has just started spouting new flowers and this time they all held on till opening and to my surprise this morning there was a bee pollinating flowers on it! Sounds silly getting excited by a single bee but its bad were I live as I have had guava and grumichama covered In flowers last couple of days and not a bee to be seen. Tree has had a massive growth flush and has hit magic 12 month mark now. 80cm tall. Flowers have beautiful scent as well. If somebody could help post my photos again would be great as I have trouble with the computer again.
Regards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk