Author Topic: First mango blooms of the 2016 season  (Read 38299 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: First mango blooms of the 2016 season
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2016, 01:19:23 PM »
You're keeping them too well fed, Nancy!

My squirrels recently figured out how to eat from my "squirrel-proof" bird feeder.  :P

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2016, 03:04:34 PM »

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2016, 03:22:12 PM »
You're keeping them too well fed, Nancy!

My squirrels recently figured out how to eat from my "squirrel-proof" bird feeder.  :P

Lol...not intentionally Dan!

Nice Ben! I just love pictures of mango trees in bloom...a pretty sight!

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »
Mahachanok with Mallika to the right.

Richard

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2016, 07:43:20 PM »
Everyone's mango trees seems to be kicking in high gear. A little late this year but its making up for it. Very nice phantomcrab!!

I hope its going to be a great and plentiful mango season  8)

My Cogshall has never bloomed this much! Of course its mostly on the west side where it gets the most sun.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2016, 02:55:11 PM »
Puggles - nice set of blooms ya got there!  Yeah, mine have also not bloomed like this
before.  IT's a banner year for HOPE I would say!!!!!!!

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »
My Ivory decided to flower this season and for the second time ever. Hopefully I'll get some fruit so I can begin comparisons to Tog Bi Con.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2016, 10:16:52 PM »
My Coconut Cream,  which had a super heavy bloom of very large pannicles appears to have a light/poor fruit set.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2016, 11:06:13 PM »
My Coconut Cream,  which had a super heavy bloom of very large pannicles appears to have a light/poor fruit set.

Rob
That happen to my LZ set tons of flowers very little fruits set.

TnTrobbie

Ivory seems to do well here set tons of fruits but my graft is only 2 years old and the fruits have been mediocre at best

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2016, 11:28:13 PM »
About 20% of the blooms on my lz are bare sticks, most have only 2 -3 pea sized mangos.

On some trees, Dupuis, Rapoza, Pickering, Angie, and Florigon, many of the blooms have 50+

Brandon

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2016, 07:13:41 AM »
My Cogshall had its heaviest bloom ever, about 2/3 of the tree sent out pannicles.  Now many of those pannicles are sitting empty, much of which I attribute to the wicked winds that blew through Broward County these past few days.  >:(

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2016, 07:41:31 AM »
My Cogshall had its heaviest bloom ever, about 2/3 of the tree sent out pannicles.  Now many of those pannicles are sitting empty, much of which I attribute to the wicked winds that blew through Broward County these past few days.  >:(

Dont really think the wind, which has not been that bad recently, had anything to do with it.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2016, 08:43:28 AM »
I have had this happen a few times. A tree puts out a big tease but no tiny fruitlets, and it's dismaying. Got me angry in fact.  A mango tree blooms profusely and beautifully but the mango yield is little or nothing. The fruit formation did not take place. The best explanation I read here was this: That the hormones within the tree did not line up that year in the right way to put forth fruits. For whatever reason X.Y or Z.

Matter of fact, looking around my trees this week I am looking for tiny BB size fruits. And one tree just might do what your Cogshall did
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:46:45 AM by zands »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »
Nam Doc Mai is finally pushing out flowers.
Rosigold seems to have giving up on flowering after only 1/4 of the tree bloomed (half the tree flushed(leaves) in December). All the new grow is leaves, hopefully its mixed.
Neelam is pushing out new flowers, most of the tree is covered.
Lancetilla has two flower panicles on it so far. (SMH, I shouldn't have mention top working in front of it)
VP is just sitting

At least my gefner is flowering

I guess i shouldn't expect full crops until the tree become more mature.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2016, 10:17:44 AM »
My regular NDM is blooming again after a very hard prune (to a stump) 3 years ago.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2016, 10:39:16 AM »
My Ugly Betty was covered with flowers this year and was, in fact, the first tree in my yard to flower. I got five delicious fruits last year, but I think I won't have any this year because it got badly hit by powdery mildew. The tree did not get hit by PM last year; I wonder what happened this time around.

Another tree of mine that looks like it won't produce as much as it did last year is Carrie. The tree is covered with flowers but a week ago, I noticed that most of the panicles seem dried out.I wonder if it iwas the wind. I got more than a 100 fruits from the tree last year.

Sweet Tart and Maha Chanok have been standing still with swollen buds for the last month and a half. I think they will just push new growth now.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2016, 11:07:59 AM »

Ugh!!! Wouldn't you know it?!?! The best/heaviest blooms on my mango trees since I've planted them and watch it be a poor and light fruit set this year  :'(...can't seem to win.

My Glenn seems to be the only tree (so far) showing powdery mildew on some of the blooms, though I sprayed very late this year I'm hoping I won't lose all of them. Fingers crossed!

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2016, 01:05:59 PM »
Pugs , I still think you will get a lot more fruit than  you ever did.
Look at the Positives

1. By what it seems you got no Cold damage this year like you usually do
2. This is your heaviest blooming year
3. Your trees are getting very mature and bigger  from the pics I have seen so more potential fruit set
4. Hey I recall you said your Lychee had a great looking bloom so far.
5. If I were you I would count on the positives and try to think of how you can improve on taking care of them better for ex: Start thinking now that they are getting bigger how you can ramp up that frost protection maybe focus a lot on trunk protection or building a permanent frame around the trees and just let them get to that certain size.......and live with the results.

Just my 2 cents  . thinking back to where your trees used to look like after severe, severe frost damage and you cutting them to stumps..
Mike...in Phx

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2016, 01:36:15 PM »
I've had really strong fruit set on almost all of my trees, and I've had zero powdery mildew. The keys this year for me have been strong potassium / nutrient levels and consistent application of fungicide.

The lot where my house is has a good amount of potassium (per lab report) from about a decade worth of ultra heavy mulching (> 1,000 cubic yards). The adjacent lot where the soil is basically just loamy sand with no organic material nor fertilizer has had sparse fruit set on all but the workhorses (eg, Angie). Nitrogen on the mulched lot appears to be a little high and contributes to a little more growth than I'd like, but fruit set has been really strong.

Weekly misting with copper + sulfur has made a dramatic difference in fungal infections -- even more so than when I was using a sprayer. Coverage seems to be better with the mister.

In my experience, the key to mango production in my area is funcigicide application and good nutrient levels.
Jeff  :-)

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2016, 03:50:28 PM »
Here is a photo of the massive explosion of flowers on my Peach Cobbler.  ;D

The one at the bottom center is the only one. The PC has only been in the ground coming up on two years, and about 6 feet tall.
All the other mangoes in the yard are blooming pretty good.

DM

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2016, 03:57:15 PM »
I have a peach cobbler of similar age and size that has a single bloom, which has a decent array of pea sized mangos, and a couple more blooms that are just emerging.  At least we do not have to make any hard decisions that might over burden the tree.  :P

The one at the bottom center is the only one. The PC has only been in the ground coming up on two years, and about 6 feet tall.

DM
Brandon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2016, 04:24:24 PM »

DM

In addition to yours, I have noticed on mine and another young tree of 3/4 years of age and 7-10 feet in height that blooms are not super heavy.  Mine is around 7 feet or so and blooms are pretty light.  The other tree, closer to 10 feet, has more blooms but still lights compared to other varieties of similar age & size.  My best guesstimate is that it is not on the precocious side.
- Rob

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2016, 05:13:59 PM »
Thanks, mangomanic12...you are absolutely right. My trees are looking amazing when you consider what they have been through in past years. Believe me when I say I'm truly grateful for what they are doing and looking today  ;D
Last year I had a very bad mango harvest. Two of my Cogshall got severe fungus/anthracnose and soft nose and none of them were edible. Only half my Glenn had blooms and half of those were severely attacked with Powdery Mildew and my Keitt skipped that year because I pruned too late...so even if I get 15 out of each tree this year, I'll be happy  8) ;D

As for winter protection...I'm afraid that is over with,lol...I am too old and lazy to go through all that work protecting them...they are all too big and mature now. They are on auto pilot except for my very small Maha Chanok...that one I can still cover quite easily.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2016, 06:07:57 PM »
My Peach Cobbler failed to bloom at all for the second consecutive year.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2016, 09:09:51 PM »

DM

Your tree has had very good growth in two years and not a big deal you get no blooms. No fruits means it will grow faster this summer meaning it will look very good sized next year and a better size to get some fruits from

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk