Author Topic: Pugging  (Read 60167 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme Pugging for CC Mango - Too much?
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »

That's sad a freeze claimed what was such a healthy looking tree.  Appreciate you chiming in.  Did you spray anything to kill the grass around your tree??

Do not spray any type of "weed killer" to remove grass.  Grass should always be removed manually to prevent any damage to the tree and not "pollute" the ground with needless herbicieds.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2015, 09:56:05 AM »
Have never pugged a mango before and am a little concerned that I went too far.  Trunk dia is almost 2" for this coconut cream mango.  Cut was a little on the rough side about 14" above the graft.  How long until new shoots would appear if I didn't kill it?

By the way, I would pull away the mulch and some of the "top soil" about a foot radius from the trunk.  Grafted trees should always be planted a little high (a couple/few inches above ground).

Can you also take a close up of what looks tobe another mango over by the air conditioner.

The one by the AC is the lemon zest and the one in the corner by the fence is the rosigold.

Just for future use, when planting a new tree, let the tree be for a couple/few months after planting so it can put the initial energy to establish its roots.  When you cut back the tree at the same time you plant, the tree will not be directing its energy to where it needs to be.  The height you cut back is truly up to you however as I said and as Jeff (Cookie Monster posted), waist height, or 3-4 feet is the lowest point where you really would want your first branching to begin.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2015, 09:58:25 AM »
Have never pugged a mango before and am a little concerned that I went too far.  Trunk dia is almost 2" for this coconut cream mango.  Cut was a little on the rough side about 14" above the graft.  How long until new shoots would appear if I didn't kill it?

By the way, I would pull away the mulch and some of the "top soil" about a foot radius from the trunk.  Grafted trees should always be planted a little high (a couple/few inches above ground).

Can you also take a close up of what looks tobe another mango over by the air conditioner.
The one by the AC is the lemon zest and the one in the corner by the fence is the rosigold.

Just for future use, when planting a new tree, let the tree be for a couple/few months after planting so it can put the initial energy to establish its roots.  When you cut back the tree at the same time you plant, the tree will not be directing its energy to where it needs to be.  The height you cut back is truly up to you however as I said and as Jeff (Cookie Monster posted), waist height, or 3-4 feet is the lowest point where you really would want your first branching to begin.

Also, as stated above, they should be planted high with no potting mix, manure or anything like that added to the hole when you plant.  Crown roots should be visible and not covered with soil or mulch.  Begin the mulch about 12"-18" from the trunk.
- Rob

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »
I would not worry. My Mallika was damaged during a storm a couple of months after planting and I had to pug it down to 16 inches. It branched back out well below that point. A piece of the neighbor's fence had fallen on the little tree. I had fruit from this tree 2 years after the operation.
However, Mallika and Coconut Cream do have different growth habits as noted by others.

Mallika, a month after the operation...

Same tree today, three years later
Richard

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »
I would not worry. My Mallika was damaged during a storm a couple of months after planting and I had to pug it down to 16 inches. It branched back out well below that point. A piece of the neighbor's fence had fallen on the little tree. I had fruit from this tree 2 years after the operation.
However, Mallika and Coconut Cream do have different growth habits as noted by others.

Mallika, a month after the operation...

Same tree today, three years later

Not saying that the tree wont push new growth.  One issues, and you commented, that with CC's growth habit is that the branches being that low may tend to hang near or on the ground.  The other issue, which will not be as much of an issue in the short term, is that as the tree gets older, there will be issues with air flow.  It is crucial for quality and clean fruit production for a mango to have air flow.  With larger branches being so close to the ground, it eliminates the possibility of air flow to the tree and can be a contributing factor to fungal and fungal related issues.

Many who like to say they want low branches have not seen or may not know the issues a mature tree will have with such low branching.  Its easy to think their small tree looks nice, has a great shape and will be fine when it is  3-5 years old...however that will all change when the tree gets to 10+ years old and the growth structure increases dramatically.  Remember, while you can control the height, the structure and size of the trunk and lower/initial branches is not controllable and will continue to grow in size with age.
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2015, 02:03:28 PM »
This post is awesome.  Definitely some characters on board.

Rob - ill post more pictures of the other mangoes nearby.  There's an LZ near the air conditioner and Rosigold beyond that.  This side of my house offers the best sunlight and protection from wind and cold.

Trobbie - I will keep the soil moist and hopefully the weather cooperates.  your post makes me feel better :)
If you don't mind, please post some of your results.

Thanks,

Here are some pics.
http://postimg.cc/gallery/1zd9hx0ae/
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2015, 03:35:36 PM »
Very nice little mango orchard.  I plan on taking care of shaping the bottom branches to best support whatever airflow is possible.
- Marley

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Pugging
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2015, 11:29:29 PM »
I just pugged (last week) the heck out of my longan fruit tree.

The thing has not fruited in several years and taken the shape of some kind of overgrown hydra monster. It's got about 4-5 main trunks growing from the main one at ground level. Then center trunk is the one that is most straight/vertical. Now, (FIRST STEP) I'm gonna fertilize the heck out of it. Then (SECOND STEP), I'm 'gonna' compare fruit production among the 4-5 main trunks. And then (THIRD STEP), any of the main trunks that have sub par fruit production are going to feel the wrath of the machete/axe.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2015, 06:42:57 AM »
I just pugged (last week) the heck out of my longan fruit tree.

The thing has not fruited in several years and taken the shape of some kind of overgrown hydra monster. It's got about 4-5 main trunks growing from the main one at ground level. Then center trunk is the one that is most straight/vertical. Now, (FIRST STEP) I'm gonna fertilize the heck out of it. Then (SECOND STEP), I'm 'gonna' compare fruit production among the 4-5 main trunks. And then (THIRD STEP), any of the main trunks that have sub par fruit production are going to feel the wrath of the machete/axe.

As i dont know what care/fertilization you have been giving your longan but something is wrong with the care or your tree if it hasnt fruited for several years.  With this winters weather, your tree should flower for you so i would hold off on any pruning at this time.  If it doesnt, Instead of all, the proposed drastic measures,  why not just apply some potassium chlorate and be done with it.  At least you will then get fruit.
- Rob

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2015, 09:54:52 AM »
I guess pugging has its place if you have plenty of space to walk / mow around it but in my case I don't top one till the first branches are over five+ feet tall. Yeah, initially they're spindly like a beanstalk but in the long run I can get by them once the canopy fills out.
Regards,

Gary

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2015, 11:40:22 PM »
When it comes to pugging, I'm beginning to 'dig it,' as in 'can you dig it.'

For instance, last year I did some substantial pugging on one of my 'Tikal' sapodilla/nispero fruit trees, in the form of doing some substantial branch and fruit pruning.

With regards to the fruit pruning, this was done when the fruits were about half an inch wide. The fruit pruning was done to about one half of the sapodilla tree. The tree is over two stories tall.

The objective of this pugging was to increase fruit size and quality.

Well, this year, I've done no such pugging. But, I have noticed an increase in fruit size and quality as a result of last year's pugging. For instance, this past week, about 8 sapodilla fruits were picked from the tree that had the size of a small-medium mamey fruit, which is huge for a sapodilla fruit, now that's saying something. I've never seen a sapodilla fruit be that enormous, especially for a 'Tikal' sapodilla which are know to be at best a small-medium sapodilla fruit.

Now I'm thinking that if I had pugged the whole tree last year and pugged all the fruit, - pugging the fruit is so much more tedious than pugging branches - perhaps I would now be having a sapodilla crop with a larger quantity of giant sapodilla fruit.

Perhaps some fruit varieties react with better fruit production than other fruit varieties. For example, after doing some severe pugging on my 'Keitt' mango trees, they respond with a production of giant, cannonball sized fruit!

Therefore, since the 'Tikal' sapodilla responded so well with larger fruit after pugging, and, the 'Hasya' sapodilla is a larger fruit that the 'Tikal,' it seems probable that by doing some adequate pugging to my 'Hasya' sapodilla tree, - when it reaches a height of 2 stories - that it will then produce larger than normal 'Hasya' sapodilla fruit. With any luck, the 'Hasya' will respond to the pugging even better than the 'Tikal.' And, the heavy production of 'Ox' (*) sapodilla sized fruit that I and others have been looking for will be finally attained.

(*)   'Ox' is one of the largest known sapodilla fruit varieties. The major problem with 'Ox' is that it has low fruit production.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2015, 12:05:53 AM »
Leo - what you are doing with the fruit is "thinning".
- Rob

Waterfall

• Australia, NSW, Sydney, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2015, 03:08:18 AM »
Here is an update on my KP mango

about 2 weeks after pugging

after, its about waist height and you can see my pandora passionfruit vine behind which is currently flowering.

and a FDJ cherimoya

before

after
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 03:10:28 AM by Waterfall »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2015, 11:42:54 PM »
Leo - what you are doing with the fruit is "thinning".
merci bocu

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2015, 04:32:11 PM »
I figured its time to update yall on the extreme pugging that went down in my yard a little over 1 month ago.  Each variety responded well by shooting out new branches.

Coco Cream:  I may take out 1 or 2 branches in a few weeks.  Waiting to see what symmetry can be achieved once the branches stretch out a little more.

Keitt

PPK: Needs some pruning, currently waiting to see how things stretch out.

Kent

Baileys Marvel:  This small tree is proving to be a little stud.  Vigorous, compact, and symmetrical :)

Carrie:  Taking a nice shape.

Pickering, Ice Cream, Cogshall:  The cogshall has responded the slowly.  This particular tree was the most unhealthy and slowest growing prior to the pugging.  All three will probably remain in pots after I mix up a suitable medium.

Lemon Zest:  Leggy but responded well to the pugging.  Branches have settled into their places.

Rosigold: About to be taken over by the godforsaken Ruellias!  Keeps trying to flower.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:53:00 PM by FruitFreak »
- Marley

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2015, 04:54:14 PM »
"Vigorous compact" in the same description? ?   ???
- Rob

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2015, 04:59:57 PM »

Since you removed the leader, your brances will most likely start 4"-12" below the cut.  With the CC's undulating growth habit, those bottom branches will be dipping and near dragging the ground, like I said above.  You will need to try to promote some healthy vertical growth.
[/quote]

I got lucky, as it tuned out the nodes started pushing just below the knuckle.  Is it typical for such light coloration on new mango growth?

- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2015, 06:38:46 PM »
"Vigorous compact" in the same description? ?   ???

Strong, healthy, and full of energy with a nice shape. 
- Marley

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
I really wanna hack my mango
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2015, 03:54:40 PM »

This is my kiett. Still with bare puna led and all straggly with a thin trunk. I wanna hack it back and take the stake out to promote a trunk thickness. It's been in the ground a little over a year. Thoughts?

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: I really wanna hack my mango
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2015, 05:10:24 PM »
Osito - you know the Keitt tends to be a scraggly grower by its nature, yes?
So, you could pug (cut) it back and get more, thicker, scraggly growth.  I don't think
it will ever send out stout vertical branches like the Lemon Zest does,or if it does, they
most likely will begin like that  before they bend sideways and eventually weight themselves
toward the ground.  It's just a  willowy grower. However,  it's most wonderful redeeming value,
in my opinion, is how long it will hold decent tasting fruits to really extend your mango season....

Gary

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
Re: I really wanna hack my mango
« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2015, 07:17:38 PM »
Best to just start tying it up to shape the tree.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2015, 01:10:53 PM »

Since you removed the leader, your brances will most likely start 4"-12" below the cut.  With the CC's undulating growth habit, those bottom branches will be dipping and near dragging the ground, like I said above.  You will need to try to promote some healthy vertical growth.

I got lucky, as it tuned out the nodes started pushing just below the knuckle.  Is it typical for such light coloration on new mango growth?
[/quote]

Just wanted to provide updated pics of my CC extreme pruning.  To properly form the three vertical leaders I had to continually tip them at the same knuckle so they would thicken up.  They are now strong enough to support new flushes

- Marley

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2015, 02:41:14 PM »
will this work for jujube's i was told no  and should try heavy fertlizer instead, i was given 2 jujube's last year over 6 feet tall nat a single branch , any ideas ??        thanks       Patrick

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »
After the last little fruit fell off of my Coconut Cream mango tree yesterday, I want to get some advise on where to pug this tree. Should I pug it just below the last set of leaves and branches? I purchased the Coconut Cream mango as a 25 gal about 6 months ago from a nursery in Miami that purchased it from Zills. I stepped it up to a 45 gal right after I got it. Any advise would be appreciated.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2016, 11:24:28 PM »
After the last little fruit fell off of my Coconut Cream mango tree yesterday, I want to get some advise on where to pug this tree. Should I pug it just below the last set of leaves and branches? I purchased the Coconut Cream mango as a 25 gal about 6 months ago from a nursery in Miami that purchased it from Zills. I stepped it up to a 45 gal right after I got it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Top around waist high is a safe bet.
- Marley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk