Author Topic: beneficial insects  (Read 2752 times)

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
beneficial insects
« on: February 29, 2016, 04:52:52 AM »
Started off growing trees and hating spiders which is going against a healthy gardening perspective but as my collection grew it turned into a small ecosystem. I started to find insects that were eating my plants and as I kept an eye on them the non beneficials started to get a real foot hold. I bought poison to spray them with but I started noticing an ever growing population of colourful jumping spiders that every time I saw them they had a bug in there gobs so I couldn't bring myself to spray insecticides so I would go around and smite any unwanteds I could find and hoped my new pals would take care of the rest. Today I found some awkward bugs that I have been observing to see if they are friend or foe, found out they are assasin bugs! I saw one this morning and he had a tiny fruit fly attached to the end of his face and was happily munching on it then i noticed another with a mealy bug in its mouth so they are going to be a permanent in my garden i hope.
I also noticed a European wasp which normally get the heat treatment when found flying out of the plants with a flatid leafhopper in its jaws so I will rethink the need to get rid of them. Other beneficial bugs I have found at the odd lacewings, lady beetles and one of my favorites the praying mantis!
Interested to hear of others observations in the garden in Australia especially but also world wide.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Re: beneficial insects
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 05:21:22 AM »
Spiders, dragonflies, bees, praying mantis and just my personal indicator of a really healthy tropical environment - fireflies! I've found that they only thrive in a really balanced, chem-free environment. The evening I saw fireflies in my city backyard in the Phils I'm like mission  accomplished! I've gone as far organic as I can and have finally been able to have a balanced healthy ecosystem in the garden. Bees (endemic to the Phils stingless types) are seasonal - during monsoon season the population tends to drop from hundred thousand bees and dozens of occupied hives to a few concentrated hives during wet weather so even all that water makes me break even Coconut wise? I get better yields during summer as the bees are extremely active - aside from all the blooming trees all the wildflowers help support the population boost. Have tried supplementing with sugar water feedings but have cut back on that as I have decided to ride the ebbs and swells of a natural population.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:11:28 PM by DimplesLee »
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 04:18:53 PM »
Very good, when you said fireflies in your city backyard I thought you meant Brisbane! Haha I thought he must be lost.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 07:12:55 PM »
Haha well if I could transport stingless bees and firefly colonies Don via air I would! Just for the thrill of fireflies in Brissy! And no sting fresh honey, bet that would be epic even the hubby would prob love that.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 09:03:55 PM »
Have you been to that templex nursery Angelica? He has a swag of stingless bees growing them in besa blocks.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 09:44:52 PM »
Yep Tony the dragon master :) were the bees for sale? I think it was only the plants. But I love the place.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 09:53:59 PM »
Yeah not sure if they are for sale but he has oodlez of them so I suppose they would be. Seen the phoenix chickens aswell?

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »
There's roughly 2000 species of native bee in Australia but only about a dozen species of the stingless Tetragonula and Austroplebeia species. A lot of people are now farming the natives and there are hives for sale. I get Fireflies at my place, though not a lot. They're actually a beetle and not a 'fly'. Both Stingless Bees and Fireflies range over large areas of Australia.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:57:27 PM by tropicbreeze »

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 02:07:24 AM »
Yeah but you would be flat out seein them round brizzy these days, further out maybe. When I was at my uncles at babinda we saw a few of a night, seems they are easier to find further north you go. They put a hefty little price tag on those stingless bees don't they! Pay more for a tiny hive of those compared to a tripple of honey bees. They are on my want list.

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 04:37:19 AM »
Probably more a case of being very scarce in urban areas where they're likely to be confused by all the lights. Maybe much the same as marine turtle hatchlings

The demand for Native Stingless Bee hives would come mainly from 'greenie-leaning' people because European Bees are very destructive of a lot of native plants. So these are people who would be more likely to pay a higher price and the suppliers would be aware of that. Of course, the way around it would be to go out and catch a hive yourself, which is what the suppliers mostly do anyway.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 05:23:38 AM »
Yeah, came across heaps of them when i used to do surveying. Would find heaps of them in new developments where they would doze everything. Used to get heaps of orchids aswell, native cymbidiums, dendrobiums and sarcochilus. Too young and dumb to work out how to get the bees out when I was 17. Now 30 and kickin myself.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 08:34:28 AM »
How do European bees destroy native plantlife? I wasn't aware they did more than gather nectar and fly home.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:40:18 AM by Tropheus76 »

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 11:55:37 PM »
Don, what we all could have done with a bit of that wisdom in hindsight back them. And imagine how much more wisdom in hindsight we're going to experience in the future! LOL

Tropheus76, Australian vegetation evolved without European Bees and their behavioural patterns. So there are a lot of flowers that aren't 'designed' to give access to the European Bees which, being aggressive creatures, tend to tear the flowers apart preventing fertilising and allowing fungus and other pathogens in that rot the flowers. A lot of plants, like Eucapypts for example, don't have that problem, but for those that do it's disaster. For the honey industry feral European Bees are a risk for the spread of any disease outbreak with little chance of control. They would prefer to have them all under complete control (ie kept by people). Environmentalists see them as an ecological disaster. And their concern goes further than just flowering plants. A lot of Australian trees develop hollows naturally which become nests and shelters for native animals. European Bees tend to take over these hollows and drive out the native occupants. Australia has the greatest diversity of parrots in the world and they nest predominantly in tree hollows. There's a specific threat to them, with deforestation taking out many potential hollows, and European Bees occupying many of those that remain. You should be able to get an idea of the picture, nothing is ever really straight forward.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 01:13:25 AM »
That is true, never had access to the net back then and now you can just google "remove beehive from tree" and you can stand next to the tree and follow it step by step watching on your phone on youtube while you recover it!  It definately makes learning easy.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 08:18:35 AM »
How interesting. Thanks for the info.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk