Author Topic: Atemoya trellis in Australia  (Read 3017 times)

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Atemoya trellis in Australia
« on: October 23, 2016, 04:40:12 PM »
I found this video of a trellis system being tinkered with over in Australia. They said the only variety they would recommend it for was KJ Pink's so far, but didn't elaborate why. I think in another article I'd read they said that too vigorous of a grower tended not to do well with a trellis system. Either way, that's a pretty cool growing method.

https://vimeo.com/64851518
Dom

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya trellis in Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 05:54:51 PM »
Great video! Thank's!  ;D

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 08:52:01 PM »
I have what started off as a Gefner on a trellis (espalier). I think I am up to 9 grafts on it now since I was using it to park budwood until my rootstocks catch up. I'll take a picture soon and post it here. My espaliered Hasya sapodilla just set it's first fruit and hopefully my black sapote will hold some fruit this time around as well.

This is the black sapote and you can see the Hasya behind it.

I am in the process of ripping everything up and redoing my entire yard and I am going to put in some tatura trellises to experiment with which are also very popular in Australia.
-Josh

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 09:05:04 PM »
If the bottom wire were 6-inches or so higher off the ground, you would have room for a good thick layer of natural-materials mulch--- un-chipped green branches and leaves, to smother out and rot those weeds, and hold moisture and increase fertility.
Har

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 09:47:48 PM »
I totally agree! I am paranoid about mulching too close to the house foundation. I had a decent mat perennial peanut growing but I have let the weeds get away from me since I was gone for a good chunk of the summer and I am going to rip everything out. I am normally a HUGE fan of mulch.
-Josh

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 11:40:34 PM »
On one side of my house, I use palm trunks, etc., to leave a 3-4 inch air space between mulch bed and wall of the house.  On three sides of the house I have about a foot of lava gravel, then treated lumber, then natural-materials mulch.
Har

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 10:26:56 AM »
I took these this morning. It is a little unruly but I'm growing out the budwood from the different grafts. The main skeleton is Gefner.

@Guanabanus That sounds like a good setup you have there. I don't treat for termites besides beneficial nematodes at the moment. Once I rip everything out and fix the drainage and muck swamp bed my house is built on, there will be plenty of heavily mulched extra large mounds with trees growing out the them.

This is the Hasya.

-Josh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 02:19:40 PM »
Great video and I love the trellis. I can keep atemoyas under 10' with aggressive pruning and keep a nice crop on the trees. I train the trees young prune 2-3 times a year

Selective Branching on young atemoyas Arka Shan, Giant Atis and a multigrated calostro and birula

Mature Genova red, Birula and Calostro

Cherimoyas are difficult and can get away from you fast

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk