Author Topic: HELP-Need to ID disease-pathogen and recommendations  (Read 1859 times)

FieldOps

• US, MA, Boston, 7a
    • View Profile
HELP-Need to ID disease-pathogen and recommendations
« on: April 05, 2024, 02:41:15 PM »
In April 2023 I purchased a 3-4 ft blood orange tree for an indoor plant with the intention of grafting additional citrus onto it. In March 2024 I purchased Meyer lemon cuttings online (but not from university of california). I did a cleft graft which didn't take-too much moisture I think as I had a plastic bag over the scion after I wrapped it, and it was covered in foil so I couldn't see it dying. After about 2 weeks I noticed other leaves on the same branch were curling, dying and falling off before the entire branches were dying. It looks like it is spreading to the rest of the plant. Is this HBL, or another known pathogen? Is there any hope for the plant? I could cut off the whole top and hope to encourage the vigorous side shoot low on the plant to become my new canopy. Any help/recommendations would be appreciated. Also, because I ordered 3 scion branches of the lemon, I rooted the other 2 and they are doing well, but if they are infected I need to know if I should get rid of them now.

Thanks

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: HELP-Need to ID disease-pathogen and recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 05:18:48 PM »
No HLB in Boston.

growinginphoenix

• USA, AZ, 9a/9b, Sunset Zone 13
    • View Profile
    • My notes
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 07:21:51 PM »
No HLB in Boston.

It seems like the budwood didn't come from Boston. It could have been infected before it was shipped right?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 07:40:19 PM »
HLB does not act that fast (sometimes its as much as 2 years before plants show symptoms) and I see no signs of it in your tree at this time. I would cut the dead branch off and see if you can get your tree more light. Although I have very little experience with indoor trees, I believe that it is not unusual for indoor tree to drop leaves.

FieldOps

• US, MA, Boston, 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 12:45:14 PM »
Thank you all for your comments. The scionwood was ordered from a nursery in New Jersey and appeared healthy (I rooted 3 cuttings successfully). The issue is continuing to spread, with leaves on adjacent branches curling and dying, starting with those closest to my failed graft. I think I will cut away all affected areas and give it some compost tea, and hope it will rebound. I will continue to hold onto the lemon cuttings that I rooted if they don't seem to be the source of the infection.

kulasa

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 01:00:17 PM »
Check your roots.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk