Author Topic: Eureka Lemon only growing below graft  (Read 958 times)

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Eureka Lemon only growing below graft
« on: April 22, 2024, 02:15:10 PM »
For the second year in a row, my Eureka lemon is pushing out vegetative growth from the rootstock. It flowers and holds lemons, but refuses to grow leaves above the graft. Does anyone know why this might be?

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Lemon only growing below graft
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 05:06:40 PM »
In compatible root stock.  My Meiwa was grafted to incompatible Kuharske Citrange so I planted a flying dragon 1 inch away and did an approach graft and cut out the Kuharske.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 05:49:40 PM »
In compatible root stock.  My Meiwa was grafted to incompatible Kuharske Citrange so I planted a flying dragon 1 inch away and did an approach graft and cut out the Kuharske.
How long ago did you do that and how's it doing now? Did you consider burying deep and encouraging it to root in its own?

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 12:41:32 AM »

Thanks so much! Was your Meiwa purchased from nursery or did you do the graft yourself and later realize incompatibility? I ask because I got my Eureka from a large nursery, Brite Leaf, so I would think they would know compatibility. Also, it did grow fine for the first few years until I went from a 15 gallon container to a 35 gallon one. Initially, I figured it was just working on its roots but nowÖ?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 04:32:01 AM »
Can you take a photo of your tree showing the original Eureka portion (variety grafted) and the rootstock shoots you are talking about. It sounds to me that your grafted scionwood is dead so the rootstock has taken over the tree. This happens a lot, I have seen on many nursery purchased tree. The rootstock will usually be stronger than the grafted scion so if there is any disease or other issues, the top of the tree usually will die back first, then it may come back or just die and the rootstock will still be alive and maybe that is what you are seeing. When this happens to my potted trees, I just let the rootstock grow out and graft another variety onto it. For Eureka lemons, here is CA they usually use macrophylla for the rootstock so if you show a photo, I can tell you what it is.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 02:30:40 PM »
Graft Eureka to the rootstock suckers.
Let them grow and decide which branch to cull later.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 12:23:34 AM »
Can you take a photo of your tree showing the original Eureka portion (variety grafted) and the rootstock shoots you are talking about. It sounds to me that your grafted scionwood is dead so the rootstock has taken over the tree. This happens a lot, I have seen on many nursery purchased tree. The rootstock will usually be stronger than the grafted scion so if there is any disease or other issues, the top of the tree usually will die back first, then it may come back or just die and the rootstock will still be alive and maybe that is what you are seeing. When this happens to my potted trees, I just let the rootstock grow out and graft another variety onto it. For Eureka lemons, here is CA they usually use macrophylla for the rootstock so if you show a photo, I can tell you what it is.

I definitely still have Eureka lemon as I still harvest them. The problem is that I ONLY get Lemons, it refuses to grow leaves, only pushing out suckers. Iíll take a pic tomorrow with some light. Thanks for the input!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 12:46:01 AM by FruitGrower »

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 12:24:49 AM »

Good idea!

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 12:38:16 AM »

This won't help if the problem is an incompatible rootstock. Eureka has delayed failure on many common rootstocks.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2024, 12:44:05 AM »

This won't help if the problem is an incompatible rootstock. Eureka has delayed failure on many common rootstocks.

After my last post I read this one, https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=54470.0, and realize that itís likely incompatibility, as you stated. Do you know if my C35 rootstock will be compatible with Meyer lemon or Key Lime?

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2024, 01:52:58 AM »
I don't know about either of those, and couldn't find a conclusive answer online either. I know that Lisbon lemon is compatible from this chart, though:

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 01:08:37 PM »

Hereís my Eureka with a Ponkan and a key lime next to it for size reference. All were purchased at the same time but the Eureka just always lagged behind all the others.  I will try some other type of citrus per your chart. Does my rootstock look like C35?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 01:12:59 PM by FruitGrower »

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2024, 02:23:29 PM »
Does my rootstock look like C35?

I'm not sure what C-35 leaves look like, maybe someone else can answer that. But it's definitely either trifoliate or some trifoliate hybrid like citrange (C-35, Carrizo, etc), and Eureka is incompatible with most of those. Did you happen to save the original nursery tags or photograph them? The rootstock is sometimes coded on them (e.g., if it has CZO in the code then that's Carrizo).

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2024, 05:34:03 PM »
Does my rootstock look like C35?

I'm not sure what C-35 leaves look like, maybe someone else can answer that. But it's definitely either trifoliate or some trifoliate hybrid like citrange (C-35, Carrizo, etc), and Eureka is incompatible with most of those. Did you happen to save the original nursery tags or photograph them? The rootstock is sometimes coded on them (e.g., if it has CZO in the code then that's Carrizo).

Unfortunately, Iíve lost most of those on my 35 gal trees cause I just wrote the name on the pot and didn't think to note the rootstock; Iím just learning the effects of rootstock on citrus now and seeing how important it is. I attached pics of the ones I do have, which all seem to be doing well with no signs of incompatibility.

Thanks again for your help in figuring out this problem!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk