Author Topic: Jabuticaba soil mixes used  (Read 2335 times)

Gulfcoastgardening

• Largo, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Jabuticaba soil mixes used
« on: November 03, 2022, 08:42:09 AM »
I'm curious about experiences of others using different mixes for Jabuticaba, I have a number of them growing in ProMix HP right now, and they're doing fine but I was curious if there's other favorite mixes that people have. I was thinking about buying 27 or 55 cu.ft. of FoxFarm and trying it as a mix. I know some growers really like using peat exclusively (I worry about it mucking out with our humidity and rainfall).

Dan

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Jabuticaba soil mixes used
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 12:58:05 PM »
I like promix but the thing is so expensive.
Peat perlite is mid tier
I do peat perlite sand topsoil somtimes compost
Just to keep things ok
Also miracle grow potting soil works decent too but I make my own soil now

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 02:01:14 PM »
I use 2 parts Roots Organics 707 formula + 1 part peat moss.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 02:10:51 PM »
I have had really good luck with FoxFarm Ocean Forest mixed with pumice / perlite / sand / peat in various amounts. Can't really go wrong in my opinion for jabos with this soil.

The most important part of using peat based mixes, in my experience, is to not up pot the plant too early otherwise it'll get waterlogged in the soil and have issues. I have made this mistake a lot in the earlier part of my planting career but getting a lot better and being patient now.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 02:20:19 PM »
I have had really good luck with FoxFarm Ocean Forest mixed with pumice / perlite / sand / peat in various amounts. Can't really go wrong in my opinion for jabos with this soil.

The most important part of using peat based mixes, in my experience, is to not up pot the plant too early otherwise it'll get waterlogged in the soil and have issues. I have made this mistake a lot in the earlier part of my planting career but getting a lot better and being patient now.

This took me the past two summers to kinda figure out. I seemingly kept overwatering on really hot days

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 02:24:48 PM »

This took me the past two summers to kinda figure out. I seemingly kept overwatering on really hot days

I try to only water when the pot is light now. It's just that easy. When the pot gets light in less than a day it's time to up pot.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 03:33:15 PM »
I get 2 bags of compost, 4 bags of cheap potting soil, big bag of sphagnum moss, small bag of perlite, small bag of sand, and iron+calmag additive

mix the compost and soil first, add everything, and save perlite for last. Trust me if you put perlite in too early it becomes impossible to mix completely; makes ~100-120gal something like.

I use that as a base and then soil acidifier to target pH individually when potting for the first time, its a bit of work to mix it all but saves a ton of money in the long run
instagram @trumansacco

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 04:42:26 PM »
The most important part of using peat based mixes, in my experience, is to not up pot the plant too early otherwise it'll get waterlogged.

Fully agree with that.
A container of pot mix without a plant loses water by drainage and evaporation.
Once planted, the plant pumps out water via transpiration.
As the plant grows bigger, it pumps out more water, so the media will dry out faster than with drainage and evaporation alone.
The way I see it, it is the size of the plant in the correct sized pot that as the issue, as much as the media.
Small plants often don't do well in big pots, as they can't pump out enough water to balance water logging.
This could vary seasonally, they might be ok in a hot period, but go backwards in winter.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 05:05:55 PM »
I get 2 bags of compost, 4 bags of cheap potting soil, big bag of sphagnum moss, small bag of perlite, small bag of sand, and iron+calmag additive

mix the compost and soil first, add everything, and save perlite for last. Trust me if you put perlite in too early it becomes impossible to mix completely; makes ~100-120gal something like.

I use that as a base and then soil acidifier to target pH individually when potting for the first time, its a bit of work to mix it all but saves a ton of money in the long run

Hi tru

May I ask What is the product you use as iron+calmag additive? 

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 05:36:46 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/FF310548-A6BD-4E35-A973-CE6DE9220FCC/search?ref_=ast_bln&terms=calcium%20magnesium I got the langbeinite and oyster shells

Recently though I tried osmocote plus and I've been really happy with the results, go only like 1/3 - 1/2 what the cap says because I gave some plants N toxicity following the directions (maybe because I'm indoors though, I'm sure established ones would take it). Less mixing and less expensive

also I tried using 4 compost bags and 2 soil bags instead and liked the results better, plus even cheaper
instagram @trumansacco

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 07:08:03 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/FF310548-A6BD-4E35-A973-CE6DE9220FCC/search?ref_=ast_bln&terms=calcium%20magnesium I got the langbeinite and oyster shells

Recently though I tried osmocote plus and I've been really happy with the results, go only like 1/3 - 1/2 what the cap says because I gave some plants N toxicity following the directions (maybe because I'm indoors though, I'm sure established ones would take it). Less mixing and less expensive

also I tried using 4 compost bags and 2 soil bags instead and liked the results better, plus even cheaper

Thank you.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 07:43:52 PM by onur »

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2023, 07:32:47 PM »
Just got my first fruit 2 days ago. I used 40%peat potting mix, 40% pine bark, 10% vermicompost and 10% alfalfa meal.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2023, 07:37:09 PM »
Just got my first fruit 2 days ago. I used 40%peat potting mix, 40% pine bark, 10% vermicompost and 10% alfalfa meal.

Congrats! Are you located in Canada?

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 07:46:13 PM »
brown on the tips is from too much salt in your water most likely, or maybe sunburn

iron deficiency makes your plants bright yellow/white almost from chlorosis

Jabos seem not to like pH change at all in my experience so far, if you’ve added anything recently they may just be overreacting; would like someone that grows lots of jabos to weigh in on that though
instagram @trumansacco

Tropicaltoba

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2023, 07:50:20 PM »

Congrats! Are you located in Canada?

Thanks Yeah, -30C this am
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 09:20:35 PM by Tropicaltoba »

Tropicaltoba

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2023, 07:51:00 PM »
Also when do I eat it?

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2023, 08:05:07 PM »
brown on the tips is from too much salt in your water most likely, or maybe sunburn

iron deficiency makes your plants bright yellow/white almost from chlorosis

Jabos seem not to like pH change at all in my experience so far, if you’ve added anything recently they may just be overreacting; would like someone that grows lots of jabos to weigh in on that though

Yes That is right. I don't know much about Jabos. Therefore, using Chelated FE also came to my mind. And I always use rain water and the water from the fish pond. They may need bigger pot and different soil mix.

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2023, 08:48:31 PM »
I use nearly 100% peat with a little perlite mixed in. I’ll fertilize with hollytone but I’ve also used some osmocote with good success.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2023, 09:28:22 PM »
Also when do I eat it?

I ate my scarlettes when they were red, heavy, chunky, juicy and big.  ;D  For black varieties, it should be totally black, I guess...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 09:42:33 PM by onur »

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2023, 09:32:38 PM »
I use nearly 100% peat with a little perlite mixed in. I’ll fertilize with hollytone but I’ve also used some osmocote with good success.

Peat is very acidic right? That's why they love it. Thanks.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2023, 09:48:13 PM »
All my jaboticabas are potted in Miracle Gro potting soil. I've had no nutrient deficiencies or root problems with any of them. Of course, I also regularly fertilize them with Espoma to prevent the former and up pot them incrementally to prevent the latter. I've occasionally had tip burn on a few jaboticabas, Plinia rivularis seemingly being the most sensitive, but that was when I was forced to use city water on them. Frankly, I've been surprised since I started growing jaboticabas over the past few years at just how easy they are to grow.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2023, 10:41:56 PM »
Fertilizer- Espoma Holly Tone
Soil- 1/3 peat 1/3 compost 1/3 inorganics like pumice, vermiculite, river rock and perlite

I put a layer of rocks on the bottom of the pot, then sit them in a saucer so that there can be some "groundwater" for the plants to reach- this practice is highly debated on this forum

Tropicaltoba

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2023, 10:50:06 PM »
Also when do I eat it?

I ate my scarlettes when they were red, heavy, chunky, juicy and big.  ;D  For black varieties, it should be totally black, I guess...
I was tempted to wait till it fell off the tree. Would it be spoiled by then?

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2023, 10:57:58 PM »
I put a layer of rocks on the bottom of the pot, then sit them in a saucer so that there can be some "groundwater" for the plants to reach- this practice is highly debated on this forum

Wow what a cool concept! I see no reason why it wouldn't work as expected, what's the argument against it?
instagram @trumansacco