Author Topic: Fuerte Graft  (Read 871 times)

kfog

• CA,Santa Clara, 9a-9b
    • View Profile
Fuerte Graft
« on: June 30, 2022, 10:41:07 PM »
Back in February I tried to graft a Fuerte scion onto a Hass. The graft is still green and seems healthy but none of the buds want to push out. Would it help to cut the Hass maybe half way up to encourage the graft?

odin.9

• 8b
    • View Profile
Re: Fuerte Graft
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 10:44:41 PM »
im not an expert but yea, i think you have to do something to initiate growth. right now the hass is still the apex stem... not sure if you should bend/break the hass portion or cut it off completely though. do pull any hass suckers off once the fuerte does pop though (they can even come up out of the soil)!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 10:57:04 PM »
I believe it’s called apical dominance. You should cut off the top of the rootstock or at least bend it over below.

kfog

• CA,Santa Clara, 9a-9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 06:42:43 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Out of interest, has anyone ever had an avocado graft that took 5+ months to push out?

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 09:47:43 PM »
what type of graft is that?  I have little success with grafting avocado and the only 2 that have worked were veneer grafts.  Fuerte to haas
I guess i have a 1% success rate
Bob

kfog

• CA,Santa Clara, 9a-9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 01:14:43 AM »
Hi Bob, this is also a side veneer graft. I've not tried a fuerte before. The reason I'm a bit hesitant to lop off the top of the rootstock is that it takes me 18 months or so to grow them (from regular grocery store seeds). Would be interested to know what other folk use as their rootstock?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 01:24:04 PM »
We use zutano rootstocks but i do have a few trees on hass seedlings and they grow just fine. 

The people telling you to remove the top are right.  You need to remove the other growth to force the scion to push.  At least pinch the top terminal growth off and leave some of the leaves on.  And then continue to pinch off any new bud growth that comes on the ungrafted portion.  Basically you want to only let the buds on the scion grow.
Brad Spaugh

kfog

• CA,Santa Clara, 9a-9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 05:51:05 PM »
I followed everyone's advice and cut the rootstock, leaving one lower branch. After a couple of weeks I'm happy to report the graft has sprung to life!
Is it ok to leave all the buds that are pushing out?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 08:03:44 PM »
Its better to just pick 1 bud.  Trust me it may feel wrong or feel like risk taking but its definitely the way to do it. 

I would cut the bottom branch off.  And cut right above the 2nd lowest branch to remove the top 2 buds. 

When you leave 1 bud, it will grow way faster. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 08:06:42 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk