Author Topic: What are the most ornamental fruit trees?  (Read 4734 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: What are the most ornamental fruit trees?
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2019, 11:50:52 AM »
Loquats are nice but i find them dusty when you have to walk underneath.

Lychee or Longan make nice shade trees.
Possibly Kwai Muk

The Wax Jambus I've seen out there look pretty nice as well

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 02:37:51 PM »
+1 for starapple/caimito. Beautiful tree, deep green leaves with bronze underside, and nice growth habit.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 01:48:26 AM »
The red-fruited surinam cherries are the most beautiful in my opinion because they fruit often with extremely vivid yellow/orange/red fruit, and even the leaves are glossy and decent-looking, and of course are red when young.

Bananas are another obvious option.

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 05:51:24 AM »
Calamondin x Citrofortunella microcarpa is well known as an indoor / outdoor container ornamental.

Aside from the beautiful, somewhat flattened, vivid bright-orange globular shaped fruits, the plant itself is quite handsome, and makes an excellent houseplant for the indoors. Calamondin has been praised by scores of writers of indoor plant books. Alfred Byrd Graf mentioned the calamondin in ‘Exotica’ (1957) & his ‘Exotic House Plants’ (1976) book, along with Charles Marden Fitch in ‘The Complete Book of Houseplants’ (1972). Considering this acclaim, it’s no doubt that the calamondin is an excellent plant not just for the tropics, but for northern cities as well, when pruned as a small bush.

“The small flowers are fragrant and bear white petals... In the opinion of many, the calamondin is among the most ornamental and beautiful of all citrus trees and its fruits among the more intriguing for culinary use” (Hawkes, Alex D.).
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 05:20:17 PM »
Calamondin x Citrofortunella microcarpa is well known as an indoor / outdoor container ornamental.

Aside from the beautiful, somewhat flattened, vivid bright-orange globular shaped fruits, the plant itself is quite handsome, and makes an excellent houseplant for the indoors. Calamondin has been praised by scores of writers of indoor plant books. Alfred Byrd Graf mentioned the calamondin in ‘Exotica’ (1957) & his ‘Exotic House Plants’ (1976) book, along with Charles Marden Fitch in ‘The Complete Book of Houseplants’ (1972). Considering this acclaim, it’s no doubt that the calamondin is an excellent plant not just for the tropics, but for northern cities as well, when pruned as a small bush.

“The small flowers are fragrant and bear white petals... In the opinion of many, the calamondin is among the most ornamental and beautiful of all citrus trees and its fruits among the more intriguing for culinary use” (Hawkes, Alex D.).

What makes this species of citrus more ornamental than others?

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 06:13:29 PM »
Macadamia nut

Fragrant blooms and pretty tree

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 07:47:41 PM »
Féin is is very ornamental

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 03:38:13 PM »
Red banana but longan when putting out panicles and fruits. Not that I have Longan. Lychee was a fail for me. Too much calcium ph in the soil. A neighbor has a lychee that has not grown in 7 years but I see zero mulch and mostly likely zero fert/ This house previously had many papaya outside.