Author Topic: Found at Chinese market. What is it?  (Read 6970 times)

FruitAddict

• Zone 11a
    • Limpopo, South Africa
    • View Profile
Found at Chinese market. What is it?
« on: February 23, 2016, 01:57:51 AM »
This is from a Chinese market.  Only labeled as "Chinese special". lol

It almost taste the same as mangosteen.  It has one or two seeds inside.  The skin is almost the same as grenadilla and about 2mm thick.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Re: Found at Chinese market. What is it?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 02:52:20 AM »
Looks like a kind of Garcinia maybe Achachairu?
But didnt think they had that in China so Im not sure
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 04:21:25 AM »
The Chinese market part stumped me :) I will bookmark and wait for an ID from our resident Garcinia fans
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

FruitAddict

• Zone 11a
    • Limpopo, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 04:34:50 AM »
It was at a market in Canada. I didn't buy it myself. I know it was at a market with other international fruit as well, so I might have written the Chinese part wrong. But it was labeled as "Chinese special". I supposed that if it is Chinese special it would be from China, because all other fruit has clearly written on it from which country it is.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 04:40:23 AM »
Yes I figured Chinese special meant it was a Garcinia from China. :) I'm not that familiar with other Garcinias that have white flesh. I usually go by skin and flesh colour when trying to make an ID aside from eating it of course but this one is not something I've seen (and ate) before :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 05:38:20 AM »
Looks like a kind of Garcinia maybe Achachairu?
But didnt think they had that in China so Im not sure

Looks to me more like Garcinia intermedia = lemon drop mangosteen. The achachairus have the seed right in the middle of the fruit, and usually just one big seed. I wouldn't pay too much attention to labeling as Chinese special. Markets make up all kinds of things as merely marketing ploys.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 06:34:42 AM »
Skin, shape, flesh texture, the way the flesh sticks to the seed, the shape of the seed, the thickness of the skin all look like Achachairu. They are often double seeded in decent sized fruit. They often have one large seed and one or two smaller aborted or just under developed seeds. Some extra large fruits can have three seeds. Seed isn't quite in the middle. After spooning the flesh out for my 2 year old, I've found o e side in particular has more flesh than the others, which you can't really spoon the flesh off.

Oh, and these are well over ripe. At that stage they become very sweet and some people prefer them that way, but I find I can only eat one or two at that stage...

As for being a Chinese Special? I guess they could have come from China, as they aren't the rarest species, but doubtful they'd be farmed there and shipped to Canada without anyone noticing anywhere else. The Australian farmers have been sending boxes to Canada (and UK and other places) though, and it coincides with the timing of the Australian fruiting season (would be opposite season for China). They likely didn't know what it was and slapped on the old 'Chinese Special' tag on...

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 11:28:26 AM »
To me they look like over ripe Achachairus,!
El verde es vida!

mwambao

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 12:05:43 PM »
It was at a market in Canada. I didn't buy it myself. I know it was at a market with other international fruit as well, so I might have written the Chinese part wrong. But it was labeled as "Chinese special". I supposed that if it is Chinese special it would be from China, because all other fruit has clearly written on it from which country it is.

Is the picture recent.Where in Canada? Or which store? So i can go and check them out and get some seeds.

Thank you
Mourad

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »
Ate a box of 100 achachairus and vast majority only had one very large seed in center. Nothing like in that photo. Here is what mine look like:

Note also mine don't have double tip ends as in posted photo.
Oscar

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 05:31:59 PM »
Oscar which one of the two Achachairus is the usual size coming off your trees? That large or regular one? I'm asking on the assumption my hand is not that much smaller compared to yours so if you can give an estimate of the size in inches from stem to pointy end that would be nice, thanks much!

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 05:42:14 PM »
You know something I should share that I found out recently is a friend i know got thai long Kong fruit in new York China town. Apparently  brought  from canada.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 06:00:24 PM »
Oscar which one of the two Achachairus is the usual size coming off your trees? That large or regular one? I'm asking on the assumption my hand is not that much smaller compared to yours so if you can give an estimate of the size in inches from stem to pointy end that would be nice, thanks much!
Not in season right now, but i would guess they average 1.25 to 1.5 inches in length.
Oscar

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 09:22:25 PM »
Looks more like Rambai to me, Baccaurea Motleyana.
Thera

mwambao

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 01:25:17 AM »
You know something I should share that I found out recently is a friend i know got thai long Kong fruit in new York China town. Apparently  brought  from canada.
yes those seeds look like Longkong. They were lots of  Longkong last month at the Chinese stores.

mwambao

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 01:32:40 AM »

These are Longkong that I bought last month
Mourad

Cobus

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 01:48:18 AM »
Folks, I am the person that bought the fruit and took the pictures, I sent that to my niece who posted it on the forum. I liked the fruit so much that I went back and bought the remaing three bags. As the fruits were getting "over ripe" they were moved to the "today's special bin". Therefore it had no name lable on anymore. So I start asking what it was but the English of the friendly folks in the Chinese market made it hard to get an answer. One showed me a box with lots of Chinese script but above the address there was an inscription. WHITE MANGOSTEEN, PRODUCT CT OF MAINLAND CHINA.
I had to leave but left my cell number. Late afternoon I got a call from the procurement department and I was told that it is  Bacupari (garcinia gardneriana).
 I saved all the seeds and will see if I can get one to grow indoors. Do I need more than one for pollination?
Thanks for all the help.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 02:57:45 AM »
Folks, I am the person that bought the fruit and took the pictures, I sent that to my niece who posted it on the forum. I liked the fruit so much that I went back and bought the remaing three bags. As the fruits were getting "over ripe" they were moved to the "today's special bin". Therefore it had no name lable on anymore. So I start asking what it was but the English of the friendly folks in the Chinese market made it hard to get an answer. One showed me a box with lots of Chinese script but above the address there was an inscription. WHITE MANGOSTEEN, PRODUCT CT OF MAINLAND CHINA.
I had to leave but left my cell number. Late afternoon I got a call from the procurement department and I was told that it is  Bacupari (garcinia gardneriana).
 I saved all the seeds and will see if I can get one to grow indoors. Do I need more than one for pollination?
Thanks for all the help.

+1 thank you - although most of the guesses would be in my find now.right now wishlist :)

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 03:17:05 AM »
These are pics of a few Australian grown 'Achacha' picked up today.
Some have points at both ends, some don't. These are small fruit, so generally single seeded. Larger fruit often have double seeds and nearly all fruits do have a second seed, but in the smaller fruit it is aborted, so appears as a sliver of soft woody seed in the fleshy section of the fruit, or a second smaller seed, as in the picture. Mostly I just eat the smaller seed as its soft and has no real taste. The variety grown here looks a bit different to Oscars which appear a lot more lumpy than the smooth fruit here, which are darker orange and have a thicker shell.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 03:18:39 AM »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 03:43:30 AM »
Thanks for all the help.
Gardneriana is self pollinating.
Oscar

Cobus

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 10:51:09 PM »
Oscar, do you have any idea on the shelf/storage life of the seeds?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 04:42:25 AM »

If stored properly they can remain viable for several months.
Oscar

FruitAddict

• Zone 11a
    • Limpopo, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 05:32:35 AM »

Oscar, you are a hero member on the forum and I don't know of anyone with more posts than you.  So in other words you are a master in knowledge about tropical fruit and seeds. 

How do you store your seeds?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 05:13:52 PM »

Oscar, you are a hero member on the forum and I don't know of anyone with more posts than you.  So in other words you are a master in knowledge about tropical fruit and seeds. 

How do you store your seeds?
Thanks for the compliment. I would store the seeds in a zip lock bag in a very slightly moistened medium. Sphagnum moss or vermiculite are good. Place in fridge in produce area. Best temperatures are 45-50F. I think that is about 8-10C? Check the bag every couple of weeks to make sure no mold is forming and to air out the bag a bit.
Another good way to maintain the seeds is to put the whole fruits inside the fridge inside a bag. Again check for rotting fruits periodically and remove them.
Oscar