Author Topic: Cochin, Cheena, Honey Gold, or Small?  (Read 541 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Cochin, Cheena, Honey Gold, or Small?
« on: May 13, 2023, 03:51:30 PM »
I have a thai dwarf mulberry and pumpkin pie mamey planted about 28 feet apart from each other (running east to west). If I could fit a jackfruit between them, I would be happy as can be! The ones referenced in my subject are the only easily available slow growers (aside from J-31, which I love, but is super latexy). I haven't had the chance to try any of the referenced fruits and I don't know if I will have the possibility. No one here in broward growing a wide assortment of jacks that I know of. I like a classic juicy fruit flavor. I don't care about soft vs. crunchy because I generally freeze. Any recommendations concerning which of these slower growers is productive, makes a nice tasting fruit, and is relatively easy to clean?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Cochin, Cheena, Honey Gold, or Small?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 07:19:03 PM »
We grow Cochin and are very fond of it. I got my material from William Whitman.
We like to pick jaks by smell but this one doesn’t smell when ready to pick. The picked fruit will soften and then be ready to open. There’s no latex at this point and the fruit is not super crunchy but not slimy either.
Peter

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 07:34:11 PM »
We grow Cochin and are very fond of it. I got my material from William Whitman.
We like to pick jaks by smell but this one doesn’t smell when ready to pick. The picked fruit will soften and then be ready to open. There’s no latex at this point and the fruit is not super crunchy but not slimy either.
Peter

Thanks Peter. I was leaning towards Cochin to begin with. You sealed the deal! Does it smell strong when it is ripe? I relish the scent but my wife hates it. Having less (or no) smell would heal to "sell" her on it.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 11:15:19 PM »
Hi, it’s not a strong smell at all. We’re used to champedek and champejak here at the same time and truth is the Cochin is quite tame in that department.
Peter

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 08:36:14 PM »
Hi, it’s not a strong smell at all. We’re used to champedek and champejak here at the same time and truth is the Cochin is quite tame in that department.
Peter

Thank you. According to fairchild, it can easily be kept as a very small tree. They indicate that it can be maintained at a height of 6.5 to 8 feet and a very narrow spread of 5 feet. Is this consistent with your experiences?

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 09:27:26 AM »
Mine are bigger but I would agree with that. I have one that has been in production for years but it is not the aggressive grower that you think of with jaks. I have planted 3 more that are about 4 years old now. The trunks are about 4” but they haven’t shown any flowers yet.
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 07:28:10 AM »
I am not a big fan of any of those unless the small is actually a true mini. Cheena is very big for a chempajack and not the best by a long shot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk