Author Topic: One time use Chelated Iron EDDHA  (Read 8281 times)

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
Re: One time use Chelated Iron EDDHA
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2016, 06:56:20 AM »
I fully understand that its cheaper to buy larger quantities of iron. The purpose of this post was specifically for those who only need a very small amount and do not want to store extra.

Are you sure you have an iron deficiency?  Treating with iron is the first knee jerk reaction gottafixit after witnessing leaf chlorosis when the problem can be one or more micro deficiencies, especially zinc, even manganese.

Keyplex stuff is about as good as it gets for me.
The good thing about iron is that it is really tough to overdo it.  Of all of the major, minor and micros, it is the only one that I know of that you really can't overdose on.  May not solve your problem, but won't make it worse either.  I'm a fan of foliage pro, looks deficient, hit it with foliage pro.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2016, 07:47:48 AM »
The good thing about iron is that it is really tough to overdo it.  Of all of the major, minor and micros, it is the only one that I know of that you really can't overdose on.  May not solve your problem, but won't make it worse either.  I'm a fan of foliage pro, looks deficient, hit it with foliage pro.

Good points.  Been using Foliage Pro for years.  Used it as a foliar spray on my vineyard last year.  Not that the FP was to blame but out of 195 vines I allowed to yield got a record 3,050 lbs. of premium quality.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:34:36 PM by Mark in Texas »

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 01:55:04 PM »

Good points.  Been using Foliage Pro for years.  Used it as a foliar spray on my vineyard last year.  Not that the FP was to blame but out of 195 vines I allowed to yield got a record 3.050 lbs. of premium quality.

Was that meant to be a comma after the 3? I feel bad for you if you only got 3.1 pounds from 195 vines :(

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 03:35:48 PM »

Good points.  Been using Foliage Pro for years.  Used it as a foliar spray on my vineyard last year.  Not that the FP was to blame but out of 195 vines I allowed to yield got a record 3.050 lbs. of premium quality.

Was that meant to be a comma after the 3? I feel bad for you if you only got 3.1 pounds from 195 vines :(

Edited, as in 1.5 tons.  Got European for a moment.  :D

dm

• Miami-Dade County, FL - Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2023, 01:25:30 PM »
I also do not know what the application rate would be for young (3-15 gal size) trees, mango and others.
What are you EDDHA users doing?

Thanks

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2023, 02:02:42 PM »
I use about a teaspoon of EDDHA in a 5gal bucket when I apply it. 

Enough to make my the blue fertilizer turn bright green.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2023, 02:18:07 PM »
You might want to try sulfur. Given your location, Sheehan, you should be able to easily acidify your soil to the point where good old granular fertilizer supplies sufficient iron. The soil I had imported from delray beach responds very favorably to sulfur application. All of my ph sensitive trees that are in that soil are doing phenomenally.

Yes, Sulfur and copious amounts of organic mulch can really help eliminate the need for chelated iron drenches...

Even when growing upon limestone/in sandy alkaline soil? My interest is certainly piqued.

Yes, I am on limestone, but with more of a red laterite dust mixed with sand. 8.2 ph. After laying down casaurina straw mulch and wood chips and spreading sulfur and dry humates over the past four years, I no longer see iron deficiency issues.

We have limestone and sand in Florida. Usually if a plant has yellow leaves it's a nitrogen deficiency though iron is a factor. The sand just doesn't hold nutrients. Simple solution dig a hole fill it with compost and maybe perlite or add a little clay even. Or just fertilize all the time but then most of it goes into the water supply causing algae blooms.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2023, 06:39:33 PM »
You can buy iron sulfate at ebay/amazon. I have some. Mix it in water with wettable sulfur to make a chealte for alkaline soils/ ________ If your trees are well mulched with wood chips. Sprinkle this iron on top of the mulch. It should chelate into the mulch. Unless heavy rains wash it down. Or make a compost of this iron with wood chips.

Try using this the same way  https://southernag.com/product/essential-minor-elements-granular-formulation/     ----- and-----
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224072918812?epid=1203684361&hash=item342bc9671c:g:2MAAAOSwMVdYGktI&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABAJzh3pYozS%2B%2Bd3%2F1v2JpUo0V7UH4q%2FaAIwva1Tf3RMsPUFSXEKdH6YvPfPrNHfSREccn6%2Bu6MAUXppQeGZMDxZgls1i8qgzzVkh23Swj%2Bkk75iW7DneTdrBDs9KhBhPrkK1HHPR%2Fol%2BXiajJNrccFTHeoQtjhKRSEjbj8%2BZki58E0sCAYqmxliiX5EBWnUnYPyc8eVNmH7Z1Z9%2BlZDSRhdD9EqntsIYUbg9c1%2BPHRYLEpg2OKJKmdZF5GiN8HOS2qYZwh6QMuRORu%2Fb8T7jgsuHu1g5UYFsC8wfJUOiwVkUgRxEDtDhGv4vCqDJt6B7pKryNIXyUcqf4z6whke5oJG8%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5LWsdziYQ
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 06:41:22 PM by zands »