Author Topic: Mexican avocado imports blocked?  (Read 2396 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Mexican avocado imports blocked?
« on: February 16, 2022, 05:22:39 PM »
How long will that last?  Seems good for others growers who arent run by the cartels.  Im hoping to see record avocado prices soon!  :D
Brad Spaugh

BQ McFry

• Avocados in zone 7B? Maybe! http://tiny.cc/ppmmuz
    • Gaston County, NC 7B
    • View Profile
    • Avo7BProject
Re: Mexican avocado imports blocked?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 08:05:33 PM »
The news report I saw an hour ago said that the US imports 2.5 billion pounds of avocados from Mexico. California grows about a half billion pounds. Local producers can't come anywhere close to filling the gap.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 08:18:58 PM »
That sucks for us.  Avocados are one of our biggest food cost items and we’ve already been dealing with significant food price increases from our suppliers. 

Janet

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 08:31:18 PM »
That sucks for us.  Avocados are one of our biggest food cost items and we’ve already been dealing with significant food price increases from our suppliers. 

Janet

Sorry Janet, first it was shutting down resturaunts now they are taking your guac!

You guys better get those trees in fallbrook on the fast track.  Kick the blood cados to the curb. 

Just curious, how much avocados do you use per week?  I know a guy that has some avocado trees. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 08:40:26 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 08:50:32 PM »
The president of Mex claims its political and we just dont want mex avocados here because they are so good.  Lol!  If I had a dollar for every time someone told me their store bought avocados were all junk.

I doubt brandon will keep this up long.  5 dollar gas, 5 dollar avocados, record inflation everywhere.  Not good for the big guy. 

"But Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador shared a theory of his own on Monday, and claimed political factors played a role in the decision to suspend avocado imports from his country.

“In all of this there are also a lot of political interests, there is competition; they don’t want Mexican avocados to get into the United States, right, because it would rule in the United States because of its quality,” López Obrador said."

https://fortune.com/2022/02/16/avocado-crisis-chipotle-prices-skyrocket-mexico-president/
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 09:00:39 PM »
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s president said Monday the U.S. suspension on avocado imports and recent environmental complaints are part of a conspiracy against his country by political or economic interests.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador put forward the conspiracy theory after the U.S. suspended imports of Mexican avocados on the eve of the Super Bowl following a threat against a U.S. plant safety inspector in Mexico.

In fact, the U.S. measure was due to years of worries that drug cartel violence in the western Mexico state of Michoacan — where gangs extort money from avocado and lime growers by threatening to kidnap and kill them — has spilled over to threats against U.S. inspectors.

The out-of-control violence in Michoacan reached a new height Monday, when prosecutors said they were investigating what appears to be the first civilian death caused by land mines being planted by warring drug gangs.

The state prosecutor’s office said the 79-year-old farmer was killed in the front-line township of Tepalcatepec when his pickup truck drove over an improvised explosive device over the weekend. His 45-year-old son was wounded.

The cartels fighting for control of Michoacan — the only state that exports avocados to the U.S. — have already used trenches, pillboxes, homemade armored cars, rocket-propelled grenades and drones modified to drop small bombs.

But last week an army vehicle was disabled by an IED planted on a road, and 10 soldiers were injured by the mine or other weapons. That was the first known successful use of IEDs against a military target in Mexico.

López Obrador has downplayed the violence, and he sought to do the same with the avocado ban, saying Monday that avocados for game day itself had already been shipped north and consumed. “The truth, the Mexican avocados have already been exported,” he said at his daily news briefing. “They already enjoyed the avocados.”

On the other hand, he said producers who wanted to compete with Mexican products, or political factors, played a role in the decision.

“In all of this there are also a lot of political interests and political interests, there is competition; they don't want Mexican avocados to get into the United States, right, because it would rule in the United States because of its quality,” López Obrador said.

He did not explain what those interests were, but noted ominously, “There are other countries that are interested in selling avocados, as in the case of other farm products, so they lobby, they look for senators, professional public (relations) people and agencies, to put up obstacles.”

In fact, the U.S. grows about half the avocados it consumes and to protect domestic orchards from pests, inspects imported avocados — nearly 90% of which came from Mexico in recent years.

It was only in 1997 that the U.S. lifted a ban on Mexican avocados that had been in place since 1914 to prevent a range of weevils, scabs and pests from entering U.S. orchards.

The inspectors work for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services.

On Saturday, the U.S. government suspended all imports of Mexican avocados “until further notice” after one of those inspectors in Mexico received a threatening message.

Mexico’s Agriculture Department said in a statement that “U.S. health authorities ... made the decision after one of their officials, who was carrying out inspections in Uruapan, Michoacan, received a threatening message on his official cellphone,” the department wrote.

U.S. officials say the security-related suspension of inspections doesn't necessarily suspend all exports. Theoretically, Mexican avocados that were already inspected before Saturday could still be exported.

Avocado growers in Mexico have been the victims of drug cartel turf battles and extortion in the western state of Michoacan, the only state in Mexico fully authorized to export to the U.S. market. After a similar incident in 2019, the USDA warned Mexico it would suspend the program if the inspectors' safety wasn't guaranteed.

But the avocado ban was just the latest of several actual or potential sanctions last week on Mexican exports stemming from the Mexican government’s inability to rein in illegal activities.

On Thursday, the U.S. Trade Representative’s Office filed an environmental complaint against Mexico for failing to stop illegal fishing to protect the critically endangered vaquita marina, the world’s smallest porpoise.

And on Monday, Mexican fishing boats in the Gulf of Mexico were “prohibited from entering U.S. ports, will be denied port access and services,” the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said, in response to years of Mexican boats illegally poaching red snapper in U.S. waters in the Gulf.

López Obrador dismissed those moves as part of the same conspiracy.

“If it isn't this one thing (the threatened U.S. inspector), it's another thing, the vaquita marina, or the dolphins,” López Obrador said. “But the truth is there is always something else behind it, an economic or commercial interest, or a political attitude.”

López Obrador has been accused of a cavalier attitude toward environmental norms and has criticized foreign or nonprofit environmental or civic groups.

“We don’t need foreigners telling us what to do or placing sanction on our country’s fishermen,” López Obrador said last year.
Brad Spaugh

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 09:02:30 PM »
Need more water for Fallbrook? The entire state needs more water. Time for the Avocado rain dance or Kickstarter the weather machine!

Here's another potential dollar,  the wife's sibling gives us a couple of avocados and oranges. (Besides the threatening phone call to the inspector )

Maybe the intent was to give the seed for rootstock  :)

BQ McFry

• Gaston County, NC 7B
    • View Profile
    • Avo7BProject
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 09:06:30 PM »
Actually the statement "the only state in Mexico that can export avocados" is only partially true.

Jalisco is approved also, but to my knowledge the trees in the groves are still small, and not producing quite yet.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 09:07:24 PM »
Clearly the best quality they have achieved. 

Doesnt even look like a real hass fruit.  The skin is awfully smooth. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:09:05 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 09:38:00 PM »
California avocados are definitely better quality, but enough supply isn’t available.  We’re going through almost 4,000 pounds a week right now and it’s our off season.

This is crazy, the consequence of buying avocados should not be supporting a drug cartel!  Running a restaurant is difficult enough.  Let alone if you’re a customer and buying an avocado because it’s a great fruit and good for you.  Not sure what we should do...

Janet

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 09:44:37 PM »
4000lbs a week is a ton of guac.

I would start planting a bunch of acres of avocados if I was you. 
Brad Spaugh

BQ McFry

• Gaston County, NC 7B
    • View Profile
    • Avo7BProject
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2022, 09:50:53 PM »
I bought 3 for $1.49 each this afternoon. Stores were not gouging yet. But if this drags on... people will begin hoarding. If they did it over toilet paper, why not avocados?

2022 is shaping up as the "supply chain year".

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2022, 10:02:05 PM »
Florida (and California) forum members, plant more avocado trees!  Everybody should have their own trees.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 09:00:02 AM by johnb51 »
John

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 10:06:16 PM »
Would need a lot more land and don’t have enough kids to work it to grow enough to make much of a dent.  I get the point of the large farm families now, it’s a lot of work.  Who knows what we’ll be doing by the time trees are mature enough to produce.  A lot can change in five years.  We plan to grow as much as we can to supplement, but we’d grow avocados even if we didn’t have the restaurants.  Scott loves avocados and growing it, it’s his favorite of everything we’re growing. 

Janet

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2022, 10:16:27 PM »
I bet 5-10 acres would put a very sizeable dent in your useage.  Maybe all of it on 10 acres.  Have you considered adopting more kids?   :D

Maybe get 20 or 40 zutano trees going now so you have plenty of seeds when you change your mind. 
Brad Spaugh

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2022, 10:33:43 PM »
Thought it would require a lot more land.  We’ve got 16 acres now.  We got 63 seedlings in the ground and at least another dozen in pots.  Will be planting more seeds in the spring.  We’re still waiting for the well guys to finish setting up the pump.  We got the storage tank delivered a couple weeks ago, so hopefully soon.  The process has taken almost a year now.  Once we get that finished, Scott can get all the irrigation lines in to expand the planting area.

Janet

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2022, 10:36:43 PM »
Sounds like I'm going to be throwing all my pits in the ground and hoping I get a tree - Damn the frosts, I'll keep trying.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2022, 10:48:34 PM »
Ive seen anywhere from 8000 to 80,000 lbs per acre stated depending on density of trees and age etc.  I think you could pull some major tonnage if you planted stuff like gem, lamb, carmen, etc on high density 10-12 ft spacing.  Probably 15,000lbs per acre pretty easily. 

Heres the stablishment cost and profitability analysis for san diego avocado farming 2020 by the UC system.  They were pulling 13000 lbs per acre on year 4 and 25000lbs per acre on year 5. 

https://ucanr.edu/sites/Farm_Management/files/341279.pdf

Brad Spaugh

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2022, 11:08:11 PM »
Thanks for the info Brad.  Didn’t realize the yield potential was that huge.  Will be planting a lot more seeds.  It’ll be interesting to see where we are five years from now.  I’m planting new dream seeds for the future too.

Janet

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2022, 09:46:46 AM »
Florida (and California) forum members, plant more avocado trees!  Everybody should have their own trees.

Hardly been worth my effort. Boring bugs, fungus and freezes take out too many in Fl.

You can't rip one root on transplant.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 09:48:23 AM by 850FL »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2022, 12:17:06 PM »
California avocados are definitely better quality, but enough supply isn’t available.  We’re going through almost 4,000 pounds a week right now and it’s our off season.

This is crazy, the consequence of buying avocados should not be supporting a drug cartel!  Running a restaurant is difficult enough.  Let alone if you’re a customer and buying an avocado because it’s a great fruit and good for you.  Not sure what we should do...

Janet

What restaurant do you run in Laguna?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2022, 12:45:44 PM »
Florida gets summer rains.
CA Avo orchards are going fallow due to the cost of irrigation being greater than the profit to pick and sell.
Mexico got around that by giving all the water to the Avocado tree’s and now the people have no water.

The cost of 1 acre of land in CA Avo growing country is $100,000 before well drilling, fencing, beauracrazy etc..

But same way I totally agree with you John :)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2022, 01:22:11 PM »
100k per raw acre is way too high.  Lets give some examples.  Not naming names but these are real examples

One person on this blog bought a prime growing piece of land recently.  Roughly 35k per acre, has houses, wells, existing trees, fenced.  Giant piece of dirt. 

My own property was 50k per acre, with well, house, seperate shop building, well, tanks, irrigation lines, road etc all already in.  $11,000 solar system I added covers most of the power, fully covers the well power to irrigate multiple acres.  Thats 15 plus years of water paid for upfront by the solar panels.  I already have to live somewhere, getting the land was just a bonus because a same size house would have cost the same amount in the city. 

Im sure there are many more examples of people just on this site.

Now do the math and assume you are a better than qverage farmer and can pull even 5k per acre per year profit.  Which is really not that high for avocados.  Especially if Mexico is cut out of the equation. After a decade of growing the land and the house and well etc are all paid for by the trees. 

This assumes you have a well.  If you are paying for government water sources, that all goes out the window.  You be lucky to break even if you have to pay a water bill. 

Also, keep in mind people still have to live somewhere.  They already pay a million dollars for cookie cutter houses with no yards.  You can get same size house and big property for the same cost if you are able to live further from the city.  Just have to want to do that sort of thing and make it work for you.  And of course theres plenty of risks involved the more you put into these things.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 01:29:56 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2022, 02:08:03 PM »

Hardly been worth my effort. Boring bugs, fungus and freezes take out too many in Fl.

Sorry to hear that, but I still think everybody should give it a shot.  Even though I've been buying Mexican avocados, they're usually crap and the criminal cartels...not good.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 02:12:21 PM by johnb51 »
John

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2022, 02:36:32 PM »

Sorry to hear that, but I still think everybody should give it a shot.  Even though I've been buying Mexican avocados, they're usually crap and the criminal cartels...not good.
I agree and still plant all pits, they're just real finicky and susceptible here and need extra care. Is it like that in South Florida? Do you guys have laurel wilt bad?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk