Author Topic: Some Fruits I Just Picked  (Read 20385 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Some Fruits I Just Picked
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 06:42:37 AM »
uhhh, sorry, is there a picture that I'm missing? I dont see anthing :-[

Try reloading the page.
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Gorgeous stuff!

Jealous seems like such an inadequate word.

Longing for purple dyed fingers.

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 09:13:17 AM »
Yummy!  You are a lucky man to have such wonderful variety to eat all the time. 

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 11:51:33 AM »
Thanks for reply on Java almond looking forward to hear about taste Oscar! 8)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »
it was mentioned before but the java almond has buttressed roots that get pretty large if I recall correctly (IIRC) from what Oscar said in the past.  just fyi
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 01:20:47 PM »
I was under the impression that buttressed root only occur in very rocky soil where that can't go down, only up.

True/False?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 05:18:36 PM »
I was under the impression that buttressed root only occur in very rocky soil where that can't go down, only up.

True/False?

True and false. Rocky soils will make some trees have roots above soil that wouldn't normally. But that's not really buttressing, though might be confused with that. But there are other trees that have above soil roots no matter how good and deep your soil is. It's part of the structure of the base of the trunk. These are usually trees that get so huge that they need extra support at the base to keep from blowing over = buttressing.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 06:55:07 AM »
Month and a half later and still picking mangosteens. I've harvested about 150 pounds so far, and there's still more on the trees. We're eating them all so far no problem. Can go through a lot of pounds in one sitting as a lot of the weight is the exterior peel, and the insides are very juicy, not that filling. Never really appreciated mangosteen fully till now. Before couldn't really understand why it was billed as world's most delicious fruit....but now i can. They're really habit forming. Hard to describe the taste. My wife says they have a refreshing and delicate sweetness that you don't tire of. If i had to describe it i would say they have soft melting very juicy texture of a peach, and sweetness similar to a cherimoya, but not as overpowering, more delicate. The exterior rind is bitter and when you bite into them there is a slight bitterness which can rub off from that which is very refreshing mixed with the sweetness, and just a tiny bit of tartness.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:14:36 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 07:15:04 AM »
Wow Oscar!  That tree is freaking loaded!  Too bad Ohio wasn't right next door!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 07:17:27 AM »
Wow Oscar!  That tree is freaking loaded!  Too bad Ohio wasn't right next door!!

I'd mail you some fruits if i could.
Oscar

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2014, 07:21:13 AM »
WOW so beautiful! Congratulations!  ;D

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 07:26:29 AM »
Wow!  You are truly blessed!  Enjoy!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2014, 12:36:50 PM »
Great flavor  description, Oscar!  I've always wondered what the fuss was about
with mangosteens.  Maybe someday I'll get to try one....such a handsome fruit....

Gary

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »
Theobroma bicolor has a nice texture , almost like a durian, but the taste throws me off. It doesn't taste like cempedek but like a non sweet yogurt or something

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2014, 01:39:31 PM »
Wow Oscar, everytime I read one of your posts, I tell my wife we need to go to the Big Island, asap!! That loaded mangosteen tree is incredible!! Thanks for posting all the photos. Hopefully we can make it there to see you next year.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »
I envy you and your incredible Mangosteen tree!!! Just loaded my property full of Mango trees and Cherimoyas...tryed Mangosteen this week and my reality got flipped upside down just like it did when I had my first bite of Cherimoya....After going through 2lb of Mangosteen( $10.99lb) I am Hooked!!! Going back to Seafood city marketplace for some more this week!!!! The only thing is...I have hit a small state of depression after discovering yet another life changing fruit....the fact that growing Mangosteen in Socal is almost impossible.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »
Yeah, I learned that the hard, and expensive, way, 3 years ago. Knowing what I know now (which is still not much  ;D), I'd get a mangosteen tree, keep it in a container and REALLY baby it in colder weather. But, I do think it's very doable. Come on Clay, do it!
I envy you and your incredible Mangosteen tree!!! Just loaded my property full of Mango trees and Cherimoyas...tryed Mangosteen this week and my reality got flipped upside down just like it did when I had my first bite of Cherimoya....After going through 2lb of Mangosteen( $10.99lb) I am Hooked!!! Going back to Seafood city marketplace for some more this week!!!! The only thing is...I have hit a small state of depression after discovering yet another life changing fruit....the fact that growing Mangosteen in Socal is almost impossible.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2014, 06:06:17 PM »
Can go through a lot of pounds in one sitting..

My record is 4kg (9 lb) in one sitting. I could have kept going. Next season I decided to do personal challange. Will try to tackle 7kg (15.5 lb) in one sitting :)

Clay, those were supermarket, not even that good. I pity your life when your try really good one. And then if you try improved variety, you might as well jump off the cliff now!  Mangosteen is nr. 2 fruit for me, but I hope to taste some top tier mangoes in South Florida this year that would hopefully overshadow the queen. :)

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2014, 06:06:53 PM »
I 'm happy to see that these days the Hawaiians also open mangosteens with a knife. So we don't need endless discussions about how to open a mangosteen anymore. ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »

Yes, but you can grow dates, which i really love, and i can't. Another spoiler here are cherries. Always gonna be something you can't grow no matter where you live. Hard to get a decent peach here also. That's where transportation comes in.  :D I'm guessing price of mangosteens will go way down as more countries are approved to import them into the USA. And Vietnam just received approval. Should go down to $5 a pound in a few years.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2014, 06:23:20 PM »
I 'm happy to see that these days the Hawaiians also open mangosteens with a knife. So we don't need endless discussions about how to open a mangosteen anymore. ;D

No, i still open them with my hands, no knife necessary. Takes about 2 seconds. I only cut them like that for the photo, to make it look nicer.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2014, 06:27:40 PM »
Just to clarify, those 150 pounds of fruit were not off just one tree, but off 4 trees. I have 5 trees, but one of them only made a few fruits, the other 3 produced well, and 1 tree had bumper crop. Have another farm with about 25 mangosteen trees, and they should start also pumping out in a year or two.
Oscar

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2014, 06:29:20 PM »
Yeah, I learned that the hard, and expensive, way, 3 years ago. Knowing what I know now (which is still not much  ;D), I'd get a mangosteen tree, keep it in a container and REALLY baby it in colder weather. But, I do think it's very doable. Come on Clay, do it!

Newgen don't tempt me!!!!

I'm liable to give up my reserved inground pool location and ongoing 5 year funding project...turn around save these next 5 years for a temperture regulated Greenhouse instead and throw that tree in the pool spot!!!....but then our Water is also really high in salts.....ahhh so many road blocks that say I'll never enjoy my own tree ripe Mangosteen...
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »

No, i still open them with my hands, no knife necessary. Takes about 2 seconds. I only cut them like that for the photo, to make it look nicer.

After that discussion i really tried to open them by hand but as i expected i can't do that without squeezing to hard and ruining the whole fruit.

Your mangosteens don't have the brown liquid on the peel and have a better purple color then the ones we had last season in Thailand.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »

After that discussion i really tried to open them by hand but as i expected i can't do that without squeezing to hard and ruining the whole fruit.

Your mangosteens don't have the brown liquid on the peel and have a better purple color then the ones we had last season in Thailand.

You poke them with thumbnail 2 times on equatorial line, twist, open. Super easy. Easier and faster than peeling a banana!
Oscar