Author Topic: 5-citrus tree  (Read 4094 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
5-citrus tree
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:28:50 PM »
Hi citruslovers, welcome on our forum!

Does anybody have a multigrafted tree like this? I want make one out of my potted pomelotree.
http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/vietnam-in-photos/92022/the-garden-of-five-fruit-trees-in-hanoi.html

I think he grafted the fruits to the tree.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:33:33 PM by bangkok »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: 5-citrus tree
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:42:55 PM »
Joe Real of Davis California has a  a citrus tree in his back yard with 105 different citrus varieties grafted onto one tree.  I think his tree holds the all time record, maybe even in the world. - Millet

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:27:29 AM »
Durling produces these trees for HD and various local nurseries. La Verne too. I saw a multigrafted mandarin with 4 or 5 different mandarin's and i really wanted it. But they don't do retail. And I didn't have the cash anyway.
Shane

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:52:28 AM »
I think, that world record holds famous "friendship tree" in Sochi Subtropical Botanical Garden, this approx. 77 years old tree holds 635 grafts of different citrus cultivars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendship_Tree

Grad

• Spain \ Barcelona
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 01:57:52 AM »
That,s one unique tree Radoslaw,thanks for sharing this.
Grad

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 02:22:20 AM »
Look at where the grafts are. He's grafted the fruits onto the tree like bangkok said. I wonder if he grafts the flowering branch before or after flowering.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 02:37:43 AM »
It really looks like this vietnamese gardener is grafting pieces of twigs with existing fruit to ends of branches to create some kind of absurd christmas tree. But standard coctail tree means  grafting of small twigs or buds to branches to create tree, where whole parts of crown are dedicated to concrete cultivar.
For example I have tree, where half of the crown is one cultivar and half another cultivar.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 10:50:33 AM »
Yes it looks like this man grafted branches with fruits on these tree's. I 've read about that before so i guess it works. He wants to have these tree's have fruits around chinese new year so he can sell them easy.

I would like to see good pics of the cocktail-citrustree with 115 fruits, i love cocktailtree's.