Author Topic: Pomelo and Lemon Meyer  (Read 3241 times)

gaberec

• Italy (west coast of Sicily) Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Pomelo and Lemon Meyer
« on: April 23, 2014, 08:24:01 AM »
Hi everyone,
two weeks ago here in Sicily I bought these two citrus.... pomelo and lemon meyer

Someone could help me with the identification ?

Is it really a lemon meyer ?   I was searching this citrus and this nursery sold me this plant talking me that needs to stay far from other plant of citrus, because could pass them disease, but is it possible ?

And this is pomelo anyone know the variety ?  For pollination there's need to have two plants of pomelo ? 
I ate the fruit after 20 days of gathering but it was very dry, so should be eaten fresh to hear a little bit of juice?

This is the flowering of pomelo, many flowers .... I'd need to remove some flowers for growing better the fruits... or the plant make all alone ?

thanks

Igor

• Novi Sad, Serbia
    • View Profile
Re: Pomelo and Lemon Meyer
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 09:59:36 AM »
It's probably a Chandler pummelo or to be botanically more accurate Citrus maxima 'Chandler'. Peel and flesh color mostly depend on environmental factors such as climate, type of soil etc...

Igor

EDIT: Here's a link to the UCR website.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:04:10 AM by Igor »
Igor

hoosierquilt

• San Diego Co, CA USDA 10a, Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »
Your Meyer Lemon will not pass on anything to other citrus.  Not sure what the grower was referring to.  The Meyer Lemon cultivar now available to the public is the "Improved Meyer Lemon" and free from Tristeza.  But, your little Meyer lemon looks like it has a pretty severe aphid infestation, so treat accordingly.  And I agree with Igor, your pummelo looks like a Chandler, which is very good and very sweet.  My favorite pummelo next to the Valentine pummelo hybrid.

gaberec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »
thanks for reply

Hence the fruit of pummelo chandler is probably juicy not dry like that I ate 20 days after gathering
I need to buy another plant of pomelo for a better pollination ?

I'll put pomelo in these days in the ground .... I'll make a hole about 50 cm or more ? and I'll put manure .... it's sufficient?  pomelo wants only sun ?

Indeed for lemon meyer the grower told me that this plant must be far from others, becuase could pass the disease of malsecco .... I don't know the reason
Now spray for aphids product .... or put a head of garlic for a natural remedy?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »
Pummelos are self fertile, and therefore do not require anther variety for pollination.  With a tree as small as your Myer Lemon, you could wash the aphids off with a forceful spray of water from the hose.  Be sure to get both the upper and lower surfaces of the leaves. . Pummelo trees like a lot of sun. - Millet

gaberec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »
I'll wash lemon meyer with an hose.... I ate the fruits very good but why are so small ? Normally are like the normal lemon not ?

Pummelo become bigger that an orange or a lemon with spreadly branches?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 05:26:15 PM »
Myer lemon are larger than standard lemons in my climate and the tree is low and very broad.They are a bit sweeter and thinner skinned than standards and almost like an orange/lemon cross, so not as popular with people wanting classic lemons. The flowers of meyers have more purple on the outside of the petals prior to opening.

There are different pomelo varieties from various source areas.If you know where the original stock was sourced eg US,Thailand,China etc it would allow an educated guess as to the variety.