Author Topic: Black sapote not sweet in Hawaii..  (Read 12621 times)

ben mango

• View Profile
Re: Black sapote not sweet in Hawaii..
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2014, 06:06:17 PM »
not sure if you mean the fruit or the tree.  I would get the tree for variety and to increase smoothie selection--not for eating out of hand.  I don't have it yet, but it is on my list

If you do buy fruit, let it get "looks like it was in the compost pile for 2 weeks" ripe.  When it's leaking juice, blend it up with other fruit and some honey.  mmmm!  It not only gives a chocolate-like flavor, but also a nice yogurt-like texture.

Believe it or not some black sapotes are quite good out of hand. They are not going to be super sweet like a japanese persimmon, but never the less are good. Some trees produce very bland fruits, but some cultivars are quite yummy out of hand.

Have you ever eaten them in Mexico?  My fruit loving friend says he's had some there that are sweet like a persimmon.

No i haven't eaten them in Mexico. But it's not a matter of where you eat them, but rather the nature of the fruit itself. It's like wanting lemons to taste like tangerines when grown in Mexico.
It's possible also that what your friend ate was a chocolate persimmon, this is a different fruit than a black sapote. Chocolate persimmon can be very sweet.

He made clear it was a black sapote as i was holding some.. The nature of the fruit and also the environment it's grown in may have a big impact on sweetness. Marang for example doesn't sweeten here in Hawaii like it does in the Davao area...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:26:36 AM by ben mango »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 12:00:04 AM »
Wait, Black Sapote and Chocolate Persimmons are two different trees? I thought they were common names for the same thing?

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 12:06:10 AM »
Wait, Black Sapote and Chocolate Persimmons are two different trees? I thought they were common names for the same thing?

2 separate trees. Google the images and you'll see, completely different.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 12:37:32 AM »
not sure if you mean the fruit or the tree.  I would get the tree for variety and to increase smoothie selection--not for eating out of hand.  I don't have it yet, but it is on my list

If you do buy fruit, let it get "looks like it was in the compost pile for 2 weeks" ripe.  When it's leaking juice, blend it up with other fruit and some honey.  mmmm!  It not only gives a chocolate-like flavor, but also a nice yogurt-like texture.

Believe it or not some black sapotes are quite good out of hand. They are not going to be super sweet like a japanese persimmon, but never the less are good. Some trees produce very bland fruits, but some cultivars are quite yummy out of hand.

Have you ever eaten them in Mexico?  My fruit loving friend says he's had some there that are sweet like a persimmon.

No i haven't eaten them in Mexico. But it's not a matter of where you eat them, but rather the nature of the fruit itself. It's like wanting lemons to taste like tangerines when grown in Mexico.
It's possible also that what your friend ate was a chocolate persimmon, this is a different fruit than a black sapote. Chocolate persimmon can be very sweet.

He made clear it was a black sapote as i was holding some.. The nature of the fruit and also the environment it's grown in may have a big impact on sweetness. Marang for example doesn't sweeten here in Hawaii like it does in the Davao area...

That is wrong. Marang grown here is very sweet, very nice! i have fruiting marangs. Climate and soil is going to have some effect on fruit, but no climate and no soil is going to make a black sapote taste like a japanese persimmon.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 04:47:25 AM »
Wow, maybe there is a curse of the big Island with no sweet fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 06:41:43 AM »
Wow, maybe there is a curse of the big Island with no sweet fruit.

Maybe it's just Ben? I think he somehow gets all the bad ones?  ::)
Oscar

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 08:59:42 AM »

That is wrong. Marang grown here is very sweet, very nice! i have fruiting marangs. Climate and soil is going to have some effect on fruit, but no climate and no soil is going to make a black sapote taste like a japanese persimmon.

Not all are though. Some are watery. Ken love told me this so it's not like I'm making it up .. Have you tried marang in the Philippines to compare before you accuse me of being wrong ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:40:17 AM by ben mango »

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 09:02:37 AM »
We have sweet fruit... Also dragon fruit are another example of a fruit that doesn't sweeten that well here. At least the big red ones white or red fleshed. They taste like water... In Thailand they can be hyper sweet. I never said black sapote taste like persimmon. I said I heard They can be sweet like a ripe persimmon.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:13:07 AM by ben mango »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »
Dragon fruit as well maybe there really is a big island curse.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2014, 05:00:28 PM »
We have sweet fruit... Also dragon fruit are another example of a fruit that doesn't sweeten that well here. At least the big red ones white or red fleshed. They taste like water... In Thailand they can be hyper sweet. I never said black sapote taste like persimmon. I said I heard They can be sweet like a ripe persimmon.

Dragon fruit in Thailand is notorious for being super bland. Again it has to do with cultivar chosen, not with the fruit itself. But a lot of people complain that dragon fruit is tasteless. (Read many past threads on this forum about dragon fruit.) And they come from many different countries. Same is true with marang, or practically any fruit. If you have a bad selection, and Ken Love obviously does, then it's not going to be the best tasting.
Right now i'm eating loss of mangosteens from my trees which are super sweet. Never really fully appreciated this fruit until now. The ones i had in Thailand were a lot less tasty. I think this has to do with depleted soils there and use of chemical fertilizers.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2014, 06:43:04 PM »

Dragon fruit in Thailand is notorious for being super bland. Again it has to do with cultivar chosen, not with the fruit itself. But a lot of people complain that dragon fruit is tasteless. (Read many past threads on this forum about dragon fruit.) And they come from many different countries. Same is true with marang, or practically any fruit. If you have a bad selection, and Ken Love obviously does, then it's not going to be the best tasting.
Right now i'm eating loss of mangosteens from my trees which are super sweet. Never really fully appreciated this fruit until now. The ones i had in Thailand were a lot less tasty. I think this has to do with depleted soils there and use of chemical fertilizers.

I agree that dragonfruit in Thailand is a little bland but still not bad to eat. Mangosteen is delicious though, never had bland ones.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2014, 01:33:47 AM »

No Ken doesn't have a bad selection and he's tasted ones from different growers. And as he stated they don't sweeten here as they do in the davao area.

Would be nice if some people from Mexico chimed in instead of someone who thinks they Know everything there is about about a fruit. Is it possible that black sapote can become hyper sweet like a nice ripe persimmon? I think so as this is what ive been told. Don't doubt it until you see it ...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 01:37:13 AM by ben mango »

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2014, 01:39:09 AM »
Dragon fruit as well maybe there really is a big island curse.

Do you have anything worth posting or just make more bad jokes ?

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 11:56:28 PM »
I've learned that adding honey and cinnamon to 'Black Sapote' fruit will then make a very nice treat. Adding the whole mix/mess to yogurt should also suffice.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk