Author Topic: When to graft a new variety on avocado  (Read 1618 times)

fruitnewbie

• USA, HI, Wahiawa, 10
    • View Profile
When to graft a new variety on avocado
« on: May 05, 2014, 03:20:19 AM »
Hi all,

I have a question for the avocado experts out there. I have a grafted Kahaluu avocado in my backyard that is a little over a year old and about 5 feet tall and a Green Gold in the front yard that is about the same age. I'm interested in grafting Sharwill on the Kahaluu to provide A and B flowers and maybe more consistent fruit production. It has flowered for me but has not held fruit yet. The Green Gold is just starting to take off so I'm leaving that one alone. I also have a Wurtz. That one has fruit on it but not very vigorous grower. I live on Oahu in Hawaii at 1150 ft elevation. There is lots of rain but I live on a sloped hill. is it best to graft when the tree is younger or wait till its more mature? The tree (Kahaluu) has lots of new growth and is growing gangbusters.

Thanks for your input..

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
Re: When to graft a new variety on avocado
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 11:50:46 AM »
I'm no expert, but I'd graft over the wurtz since that's a mediocre fruit, at least compared to the other hawaiians. Also, I don't think the A/B flower issue is that important, you'll still get fruit regardless. Having A and B trees next to each other matters more for max yields in commercial farms, not really the home grower. That is, unless it's different in hawaii than california. Having one "A" sharwil on your property should be plenty for the other two "B" types.

Also, from my understanding, you can graft at any age, check out avocado graft vids on youtube by Carlos. But I've heard doing multi-grafts on young avocados isn't worthwhile. It's more practical when you have an old tree and want to put a couple varieties on a single stump.

ben mango

• View Profile
Re: When to graft a new variety on avocado
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 12:45:19 PM »
If you wait until later try bark grafting.. I've seen it be rather successful for avocado and jackfruit ..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk