Author Topic: How will Durian do in my climate?  (Read 10445 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: How will Durian do in my climate?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 04:30:43 AM »
Durians like consistent rainfall and hate drought. They only need a couple of weeks of no rain for good flower set. We have rain evenly spread through year and they fruit fine. I like Peter's suggestion of planting on a slope, but mostly to avoid root rot disease, to which they are very susceptible. Make sure they are planted in soil with very good drainage, not heavy clay.

Sorry but I wouldn't say durian fruits fine in hawaii. It fruits inconsistently. Sure, this is a good year for durian but I know someone on hamakua coast who had not had a crop in 3 years. I'm sure he wouldn't say "they fruit fine" and this goes for graveolens etc

Are you speaking from personal experience? i don't think so. Maybe your acquaintance just forgot to fertilize them for 3 years? There are many reason a plant may not fruit, besides climate.
Oscar

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 12:46:47 PM »
Durians like consistent rainfall and hate drought. They only need a couple of weeks of no rain for good flower set. We have rain evenly spread through year and they fruit fine. I like Peter's suggestion of planting on a slope, but mostly to avoid root rot disease, to which they are very susceptible. Make sure they are planted in soil with very good drainage, not heavy clay.

Sorry but I wouldn't say durian fruits fine in hawaii. It fruits inconsistently. Sure, this is a good year for durian but I know someone on hamakua coast who had not had a crop in 3 years. I'm sure he wouldn't say "they fruit fine" and this goes for graveolens etc

Are you speaking from personal experience? i don't think so. Maybe your acquaintance just forgot to fertilize them for 3 years? There are many reason a plant may not fruit, besides climate.

Ask some of the bigggest durian collectors/ growers on the islands , John mood on the hamakua coast, ken love in kona, or Frankie in waimanalo if their durians fruit consistently and their answer will be no. Frankie hasn't seen a decent durian crop in 4 years. Maybe he's not fertilizing but I think it has more to do with climate. Here in hawaii until this past season we had not seen a decent durian crop in 3 years... Definitely doesn't " fruit fine "

DurianisaDrug

• Fruitarian
  • Me encantan las frutas dulces
    • Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • www.terrafruta.org
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 01:26:07 PM »
This year in ecuador at a much lower elevation had we a very weak harvest. I think it was from too much rain.. kona sure isnt durian haven though hilo is much more so imo.. papaya farms road etc

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 02:02:01 PM »
This year in ecuador at a much lower elevation had we a very weak harvest. I think it was from too much rain.. kona sure isnt durian haven though hilo is much more so imo.. papaya farms road etc

The trees grow well and get big in Puna but they don't fruit consistently. It's also wet there a lot so they might no sweeten like they should. Kona definitely isn't ideal for durian but with irrigation, wind protection etc they will grow. I think one of the sweetest durians I've had was from kona side and it was off season around summer time..

DurianisaDrug

• Fruitarian
    • Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • www.terrafruta.org
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 04:22:35 PM »
Was it india where they would yell at and hit their jackfruit trees when they werent fruiting? Sounds like slme of those hawaiian durians need a spanking and lecture. Is it possible to set up a feasable amount of large speakers and give a plant a low db stress.. I read somewhere certain levels increase growth speed and possibly more..

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »

Ask some of the bigggest durian collectors/ growers on the islands , John mood on the hamakua coast, ken love in kona, or Frankie in waimanalo if their durians fruit consistently and their answer will be no. Frankie hasn't seen a decent durian crop in 4 years. Maybe he's not fertilizing but I think it has more to do with climate. Here in hawaii until this past season we had not seen a decent durian crop in 3 years... Definitely doesn't " fruit fine "

Still not speaking from personal experience. FYI, Ken doesn't have a single durian tree planted. He doesn't have a farm of his own. (Other small detail is that he is in opposite side of island, Kona, too dry, and not best area for durians.) The plantings here in Hawaii  are all very small. And most people don't know how, or don't have the time, to properly take care of their trees to make them fruit. But there are people who get them to fruit consistently. You can see the fruits every year at farmer's market.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:14:19 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
Are you speakin from personal experience? you have fruiting durians every year that fruit fine? And Not true about finding durians at market.. There was hardly any durian found at Hilo market the last 2+ years 

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
So who gets them to fruit consistently ?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »
I don't know that anywhere is super consistent.  Areas that are considered very good for mangoes, durians, mangosteens, rambutans, etc. can have very different results from one season to another.  We say the trees are 'resting' and leave it at that.
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2014, 03:58:48 PM »
Some of the areas here with durians are very reliable.It seems that basaltic krasnozem soil and rainfall over 4000mm/yr helps reliability of fruiting. Cyclones are the wild card that messes things up in these patches.

There are a few farms that trialled multiple durian varieties, maybe 30 to 40 named types at 18s latitude. There was a big difference in the performance of the varieties and local conditions, especially winter minimums did not suit many. In other spots trialled some varieties responded badly to less rainfall or watering and poorer on some soils.One outcome of the durian trials held is that there is a big difference between durian varieties in the suitability for a particular area.

When it comes to predicting whether an upland site in Ecuador is suitable for durian growing it seems likely that some varieties will be suited and others not.The average minimum temps seem lower than ideal and more cold tolerant types should do better.

DurianisaDrug

• Fruitarian
    • Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • www.terrafruta.org
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2014, 05:29:38 PM »
Thanks mike t, can you think of any specific varieties for me to look into obtaining?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »
Are you speakin from personal experience? you have fruiting durians every year that fruit fine? And Not true about finding durians at market.. There was hardly any durian found at Hilo market the last 2+ years

Guess you went on the wrong days. Been buying durians there the last few years. Several vendors had them.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »
So who gets them to fruit consistently ?

The discussion was, to remind you, about whether durians will fruit in high rainfall areas. How long a dry spell they need. They need only a very short dry spell, as little as a couple of weeks for flowers to set. And we very often do get that.
Oscar