Author Topic: First Keledang Ever!!!  (Read 10642 times)

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
First Keledang Ever!!!
« on: May 13, 2014, 09:17:37 PM »
Aloha
The other day I was cleaning some vines off of the Artocarpus lancifolia and found its first fruit! Does anyone know when do I pick to eat?! Or does it fall?  It's a grafted tree about 8-9yrs in the ground..from local legend David Frenz.  Kinda blurry pictures...but I figured I share the stoke!

micah

• View Profile
Re: First Keledang Ever!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:20:41 PM »
Aloha
I tried to turn them pics but no luck

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 12:27:54 AM »
Awesome! Please take pictures of the fruit and make sure taste report follows :)
All artocarpus needs to be cut. When they fall its too late. Strange about 8 years to fruit. I read in Australian fruit magazine that local grower gets grafted keledangs to fruit in two years. Perhaps grower is a personal friend of Mike T and we'll have his remark?  :)

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 04:46:42 AM »
David has a wonderful collection and is a incredible grafter. Great job on the fruit! please let us know how it tastes, ive never heard of this artocarpus vari so it would be interesting to get some info.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 05:03:27 AM »
awesome! Don't forget to keep us updated. This one is high on my wanted-list

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 05:12:44 AM »
Congrats Micah! You might be the first person to fruit it in Hawaii?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 06:03:35 AM »
Well done micah it sounds like I sent keledangs seeds to Hawaii for nothing. I understand there is a bit of variation in this species. It would be interesting to compare the fruit to pix I posted.I know they can be picked 'green' and ripened off the tree.They are prone to dropping and getting splattered if tree ripened. 

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 11:40:22 AM »
hi
I spoke with David a little about the keledang plant I got from him...he said it was a scion from John Moods tree here in Hawaii...a seedling...johns tree has fruited in Hawaii. he said it was grafted on a marang or pedalai seedling.    he told me a plant guy named Von Boon(he is from the area where keledang is from) I think tried it for the first time in Hawaii at johns...but he didn't want the seeds as he said back home he will find a better cultivar(even though the fruit is good tasting..Boon wasn't to impressed by it!)... Mike T us Hawaiians truly appreciate those seeds of keledang you sent...like you said variation.  even though ive never tried this fruit...im ready to try more than one cultivar of it.  :)
thanks for the picking info friends.
wow! two years to fruit?  sort of like some jackfruits 2-3yrs then fruit.  maybe it would've fruited earlier if there was more attention to her. now more excited about putting some more in the ground with a possible fast return like that.
when ripe ill get some good pics.
aloha

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 11:58:53 AM »
Well done micah it sounds like I sent keledangs seeds to Hawaii for nothing. I understand there is a bit of variation in this species. It would be interesting to compare the fruit to pix I posted.I know they can be picked 'green' and ripened off the tree.They are prone to dropping and getting splattered if tree ripened.

same as it is with Marang can be picked mature and ripened off the tree.

there are some pics of keledangs i encountered while visiting Northern Queensland. I guess they are the ones that you Mike got the seeds from...

• fruit by the tree by kerry's in Japoonvale

• Peter's at Fruit Forest Farm in Mission beach Queensland Australia.

Could bring home a few seeds of these fruits, just repotted in their own polybags.

a must have among the Artocarpus sp. , very nice taste as good as a marang to me, was definitely a highlight in my fruit tastings of this trip.
Samuel
Reunion Island

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 12:11:39 PM »
yum!

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
 8) 8) 8) Tres cool Micah, congrats, I cant wait for the follow up!

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Awesome. They look delicious inside...

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 12:59:16 PM »

wow! two years to fruit?  sort of like some jackfruits 2-3yrs then fruit.  maybe it would've fruited earlier if there was more attention to her.

It did say that those were grafted onto jackfruit. So, maybe selection of the rootstock was the key.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »
hi
I spoke with David a little about the keledang plant I got from him...he said it was a scion from John Moods tree here in Hawaii...a seedling...johns tree has fruited in Hawaii. he said it was grafted on a marang or pedalai seedling.    he told me a plant guy named Von Boon(he is from the area where keledang is from) I think tried it for the first time in Hawaii at johns...but he didn't want the seeds as he said back home he will find a better cultivar(even though the fruit is good tasting..Boon wasn't to impressed by it!)... Mike T us Hawaiians truly appreciate those seeds of keledang you sent...like you said variation.  even though ive never tried this fruit...im ready to try more than one cultivar of it.  :)
wow! two years to fruit?  sort of like some jackfruits 2-3yrs then fruit.  maybe it would've fruited earlier if there was more attention to her. now more excited about putting some more in the ground with a possible fast return like that.
aloha

Hi Micah, i've seem the lanceifolius tree at John's. It is huge. At that time it had not fruited yet, but that was several years ago. Von Boon was an ag agent in Kucing, Sarawak. He has been retired now for many years.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 05:21:02 PM »
Samuel, I believe Kerry Mac Avoys type is another one again from those I had the fruit from.Kerry has often collected and imported seeds independently from the rare fruit council.Mine was from the Mission Beach area and passed on as the progeny of best selection the RFC collected on their SE Asian forays.I know there are also others in the Daintree area of lesser quality.

I am told they are fast to fruit, even as seedlings and the trees are massive as I have observed. Large fruit with big fleshy sections,low rag to flesh ratio and a great taste are the qualities that set some fruit apart.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 06:00:59 PM »
Mike, have you seen any topped keledang trees? I wonder how they respond to topping? I certainly don't want to be dealing with a giant, and have 50% of fruits unreachable way up high in the canopy. On the other hand all artocarpus seems to respond to topping quite well. I hope to shape it like this breadfruit.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 07:28:22 PM »
Yes DL they should be topped like that breadfruit so they can stay around 10 to 12 feet high but very broad.It is easier in full sun.In filtered light this species wants to be a 50 ft pole with a pine tree shape.

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »
Here my update on first keledang...all I can say is kele dang it!  >:(
 Looks like it wasn't pollinated..i found this on ground...maybe next season.

I'm gonna let the light in around her so next time..maybe pollinators have a better chance...does it need a pollinator? 

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 06:20:43 PM »
Tough break on the keledang.  Hopefully it will fruit next year.  I was wondering the same thing about some species possibly needing cross pollination (certainly true for some temperate fruit species).  I know John had one tree that was twenty-something years old & had never fruited (I think it was elasticus but not positive) -- that got me wondering about the cross-pollination thing.

I recall asking Dr. Ragone from the Breadfruit Institute about topping other Artocarpus (she was promoting it for breadfruit) & she seemed to think most Artocarpus would respond well to it.

John

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 08:09:18 PM »
No cross pollination is needed for this and all or most in the genus but yield does improve with outcrossing. Yield/fruit set also increases with age.Maybe you don't have enough natural pollinators.

All artocarpus respond well to topping.The usual practice is to let them fruit once or twice and then top hard and take out fine branches.

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »
Aloha
Ok
The keledang is flowering again.
I've let more light in around it. Mulching various banana,vines, branches, then spreading horse manure over it lightly.
Does anyone know what type of organic amendment we should use to help fruit set?
Thanks

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 12:39:32 PM »
hi
aloha

Good luck with this year's bloom.  Hope you get lots of fruit.  The fruit guy referred to in this old post was probably Voon Boon Hoe.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 06:09:20 PM »
Aloha
Ok
The keledang is flowering again.
I've let more light in around it. Mulching various banana,vines, branches, then spreading horse manure over it lightly.
Does anyone know what type of organic amendment we should use to help fruit set?
Thanks
Potassium is good for initiating flower set. Got wood ashes? Plenty of K in those. Also compost would be great. How old is your keledang tree? John Mood told me that keledang is one of the best of the artocarpus, so that's exciting. I don't have any planted yet.  :'( Plan to correct that soon.  8)
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 04:40:02 AM »
I fed a few people keledang and pedalai yesterday and they were split on what was preferred.The pedalai were very good sized examples and both these species are good Artocarpus.I think they are considerably more desirable than most of their relatives with marang,jackfruit and some chempedak also earning their keep.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 08:32:02 AM »
good luck and hoping for heavy fruit set this year Micah !