Author Topic: How old were you when you planted your first fruit?  (Read 6527 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
How old were you when you planted your first fruit?
« on: May 16, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
My mom dug this picture out of a stack of boxes. She said I use to plant watermelon seeds from our store bought watermelons when I was 4. She said one day she saw me bring my red wagon to the backyard, so she followed me and took this picture..:)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: How old were you when you planted your first fruit?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 01:17:12 PM »
Looks like you were successful, Mike, with that watermelon planting!

My first plants were not a fruit but a veggie.  I planted a whole packet
of green pepper seeds under a bush cuz my dad did not want to dig
up any part of the back yard.  I remember getting 2-3 quarter sized
green peppers in the shady sport, which I think i gave to my mom....
and then completely forgot about - I was probably 8-9....

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 01:22:03 PM »
My mom dug this picture out of a stack of boxes. She said I use to plant watermelon seeds from our store bought watermelons when I was 4. She said one day she saw me bring my red wagon to the backyard, so she followed me and took this picture..:)

Come on, Mike...that is you now.  Just admit it, its ok :)
- Rob

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 01:35:39 PM »

Ha!....I do wish I had a pair of overalls like that now!

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »
Great pic Mike. Looks like you were in the process of counting your Watermelons ( see left hand )

Kinda like you count your mangoes now huh?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27:51 PM »

I don't think they would fit you...
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 03:44:27 PM »
I was 28. I bought a Keitt mango tree from the Broward Rare Fruit sale.  My landlord wouldn't let me plant it in his yard, so I bought my first house, in Tamarac.

We had apple trees and raspberries in Michigan, buy my father planted those.

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »
Although some may not consider it a fruit, when I was one years old I planted a Tomato garden with my mother. She says that she has a picture somewhere of me eating tomato's off of the plants me and her planted. I will try to get it and post it here.
Jackson

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 04:07:01 PM »
At near 7 or 8 years old, I planted a packet of mixed gourd seeds.  They were pretty much ignored as they grew, but yielded a bountiful crop.  A couple of years later, I helped my parent s plant a peach tree that bore fruit a few years later.

These experiences were significant learning experiences for me.  The idea of planting something now that doesn't have a benefit until months or years down the road was like a light bulb turning on in my head.   Unlike most of my peers, I thought more about the longer term - Not just with fruit trees, but also with my education, financial investing, etc.   The ability to do things now that have only deferred gratification, or speculative gains, has served me well in life.

John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

catamijo

• USA - Port St Lucie, Florida - Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 04:16:28 PM »
I was about 5 years old and I was fascinated with the neighbor's olive tree.  I remember going over into their yard, breaking off a branch and sticking it in the middle of my front yard.   
Need bees, plant flowers

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »
I planted a CADO seed when I was 9 the day after my dad died, Never once saw it fruit in the 15 years it was there. So I'm still planting fruit trees and still have no fruit...... guess the fruit gods hate me...lol
Joe

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 10:17:27 PM »

Looks like a singlet! Wrastlin the fruit into the ground, haaaah.
- Colin

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 10:21:09 PM »

Looks like a singlet! Wrastlin the fruit into the ground, haaaah.
Haha! Probably just an awesome pair of Osh Kosh B'gosh overalls. That is one bad ass little kid!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 11:13:58 PM »
I was a late bloomer. Planted my first crop when i was just starting college. I planted my whole postage backyard with just tomato plants. I think i had like 20 tomato plants. What i planned to do with so many tomatoes i don't know. I later read that most people start their gardening hobby with tomatoes.
Oscar

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 01:42:13 AM »
When I was 9-10, my teacher had us grow lima beans as a learning activity. Mine was the only one that got love and survived the year. When I got home, it was demolished by aphid. But also, I lived in Florida then, and my family often visited the dense forests at the parks.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 08:02:16 AM »
When I was 10 or 11, I planted a dwarf Navel orange.  This was in South Gate, CA, about 10 miles south of downtown L.A.  It never bore any fruit.  Next was a Meyer lemon, which had tons of fruit, followed by a dwarf Redhaven peach, which produced not more than a half-dozen fruit and then went into decline.  After that, it was a Babcock peach and a Hass avocado, which produced lots of delicious fruit.  The vegetable garden also was a huge success--carrots, lettuce, broccoli, green beans, tomatoes, okra, even corn!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:04:48 AM by johnb51 »
John

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
From young kid times we were forced into the taro patch,  never by choice. Slave labor. In this remote valley.. the only reachable fruits were guavas, we lived off of them, starving all day, until we would drive home. When I was around 14 my older brother forced me to plant a naval orange tree.  Do it or the beatings would go down!  Well I cried/complained planting it.  Years later when it finally fruited... When tasting fruit I finally realized how awesome planting is. Around this time I started planting/smoking Ganja..when cotton mouth sets in...it's time to eat fruit.  This truly opened my eyes(maybe third eye) to what i feel we humans should be doing.. care for nature..cause we are nature.
 we have over 150 edibles and still growing.   Now my kids run around all day searching for the next harvest.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
From young kid times we were forced into the taro patch,  never by choice. Slave labor. In this remote valley.. the only reachable fruits were guavas, we lived off of them, starving all day, until we would drive home. When I was around 14 my older brother forced me to plant a naval orange tree.  Do it or the beatings would go down!  Well I cried/complained planting it.  Years later when it finally fruited... When tasting fruit I finally realized how awesome planting is. Around this time I started planting/smoking Ganja..when cotton mouth sets in...it's time to eat fruit.  This truly opened my eyes(maybe third eye) to what i feel we humans should be doing.. care for nature..cause we are nature.
 we have over 150 edibles and still growing.   Now my kids run around all day searching for the next harvest.

Lol we gotta hang out sometime. Jeff the micro plant guy on north shore Oahu had mentioned you before ... Aloha

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »
Great topic....
I am just now learning to appreciate the Plant kingdom...I'm 35.  Up until now, I never really thought about plants. I remember in a Botany class in college, on the first day, the professor asked "What's the first word that comes to mind when I say 'Plants'?" My response was "BORING!" I was only interested in animals: birds, bugs, snakes, etc.

Now that Mr. Caimito has gotten me into plants, I am truly fascinated by them and can't believe I ignored them for so long.

I wish I had an experience to share about planting fruit as a kid, but I don't think I have one! We had a garden a couple of years, but it didn't have an impression on me (other than the pain of having to weed it, etc).

So for me, I will say my first fruit planting was just a couple of weeks ago - some Pawpaw seeds that I gleaned from some wild fruit I discovered on a nearby trail (along with some from Kentucky State Univ.). I can't wait to see what happens with them.

I have so much to learn about plants, but it's so exciting learning how to coexist with and nurture these amazing creations.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 05:32:51 PM »
I remember as a kid (don' t know age) digging up part of front yard and planting cucumbers. I was surprised how they grew like weeds and had all these cucumbers on then.

Bonakyon

• Guanaja, Honduras. zone 11b
    • View Profile
    • Guanaja Real Estate
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 01:53:45 AM »
I don't remember planting them but I do remember my dad saying one day, "OK, its time to harvest the peanuts...!" my sisters and I got exited and ran out to see how these peanuts would be harvested and how they would be eaten. They grew right in the sand in the front yard next to the beach. Following the little vines and pulling them up was fun, opening the shells and eating the raw nuts... not so much. Only after we had gotten our mouths full of the unpleasant taste did Dad tell us that they tasted better roasted…

My next experience was planting cassava. Dad had brought home some sticks and asked that I help plant them; well somehow it turned into a competition. He would plant his in one area and I would plant in my area… 6-8 months later the results were in, my cassava had bigger and fuller tubers, I had no clue what made the difference, I was just happy I beat the old man…

After my glorious victory with the cassava, maybe at around 6 or 7 years of age, I planted a sapote (mamee) seed. It sprouted and grew well but at that age I expected to see flowers and fruit every time I went to check on it ... impatience pushed me to apply some of Dad’s Miracle grow. I mixed a whole cup in about a quart of water and poured the whole thing over the little seedling. The next evening I could still see some blue on it but it had already withered... I felt so sad I actually cried…