Author Topic: Eat the fruits Skin?  (Read 3598 times)

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
Eat the fruits Skin?
« on: May 19, 2014, 10:45:58 AM »
Pondering if its ok to eat the skin of the Ross sapote.  Is it edible?  How bout other uncommon fruit and their skin?  I've heard of peeps eating orange peels.  I'm thinking extra nutrients in that skin.  Most skin isn't tasting so good.. But some do.
Is it ok to eat skin of?: chico, panama berry, white sapote, egg fruit, star apple, papaya, durian( joke,joke). 

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Eat the fruits Skin?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »
never had a ross but I had the same question about canistel, and people said they couldn't see how to eat it any other way.  Not that it couldn't be done, but I now eat canistel out of hand with skin on--less messy that way
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 04:09:04 PM »
In case the fruit is very ripe, I see no problem in eating the skin of chico, white sapote, egg fruit, star apple and papaya.

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 04:12:47 PM »
Last year I had my 1st 20 ross-sapotes. I tried using a carrot peeler a couple of times, but it was a miserable job. Since I was using them in smoothies I began to leave some of the skin on. No bad taste or ill effects. So by the time I got to the last of them I was just breaking them open, getting rid of the pits, and then tossing them skin and all into the blender.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »
Pondering if its ok to eat the skin of the Ross sapote.  Is it edible?  How bout other uncommon fruit and their skin?  I've heard of peeps eating orange peels.  I'm thinking extra nutrients in that skin.  Most skin isn't tasting so good.. But some do.
Is it ok to eat skin of?: chico, panama berry, white sapote, egg fruit, star apple, papaya, durian( joke,joke).

Yes Ross sapote and eggfruit skins are fine to eat. When i use them in smoothies or freeze them i also toss them in skin and all, except for seed. All the other ones you list, the skin is also fine to eat, except for starapple. On the white sapote some of them have bitterness in the skin. I find white sapote tastes a lot better if you peel them. So edible but not very palatable their skin. Citrus i would never eat the skin. Citrus oil is nasty. There's a guy here that eats bananas skin and all. i saw him in line at post office doing this.  :o But most animals eat bananas skin and all.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »
candied skin of pomelo is sold as a nice snack.

I never knew that we can't eat the skin of a starfruit, maybe they taste a lot better if peeled.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 05:41:26 PM »

I never knew that we can't eat the skin of a starfruit, maybe they taste a lot better if peeled.

Starapple is a different fruit than starfruit. Skin of starfruit is fine to eat.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 07:43:33 PM »

Starapple is a different fruit than starfruit. Skin of starfruit is fine to eat.

Allright, thanks Oscar. I mixed them up, starapple is still on my list,i have never seen them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 12:10:47 AM »

Allright, thanks Oscar. I mixed them up, starapple is still on my list,i have never seen them.
I have seen starapple trees in Thailand. But mainly backyard tree. Never have seen the fruits for sale in Thailand.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk