Author Topic: First taste of mangosteen  (Read 12660 times)

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: First taste of mangosteen
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 04:07:14 PM »
Had fresh durian ..ehhh... Grew up with sh1t smell in the house.
had fresh mangosteen as well.

Mangosteen is king
Feijoa is queen.

To each his own.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 05:26:41 PM »
They are good but they aren't nearly as satisfying or filling as a durian or cempedek.

Seedless would be nice. Most of the ones I've had have seeds in them
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:30:44 PM by ben mango »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 05:58:30 PM »
So many fruits, picked at their prime, right off your own tree at perfect ripeness, from rich soil, are king of fruits. That's why we're in this hobby right?  :D
Oscar

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 06:27:39 PM »
So many fruits, picked at their prime, right off your own tree at perfect ripeness, from rich soil, are king of fruits. That's why we're in this hobby right?  :D

Good point oscar i'll submit to that

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 06:32:38 PM »
I think all these fruits can potentially be a "10" and i'd walk a mile for:
Lychee
Mango
Cherimoya
Durian
Pulasan
Longkong
And a bunch more i'm probably forgetting.
Funny thing about cherimoya is it's never made it to main stream marketing in USA. It certainly deserves it though.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 06:55:27 PM »
Lychee
Mango
Cherimoya
Durian
Pulasan
Longkong
Funny thing about cherimoya is it's never made it to main stream marketing in USA. It certainly deserves it though.

Mangosteens are very good but not worth 22 euro a kg like here in Holland. And that's for very small ones.

Pedalai should taste like a mix of mangosteen and jakcfruit, i have to try that one day.

Jackfruit also sure belongs in the top 10.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 09:04:22 PM »
Lychee
Mango
Cherimoya
Durian
Pulasan
Longkong

Never even heard of the word Cherimoya until I joined this forum....For that alone...I am greatful....had another Mangosteen today....It's growing on me...

Anyone out here in Socal had success in growing mangosteen?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 09:37:41 PM »
Mangosteens will fruit in South Florida ... I have seen a few fruiting outdoors including one next to a saltwater canal in north Broward county. 

I would very much like the address of this canal, please.  ;)

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 09:44:19 PM »
I tried my fast  mangosteen at the begging of this year, in Thailand , while I was there on business trip

We normally have them available locally in bayarea, but those are hard like rock and read in this forum that those are not good

I really like them , for me they have texture that melt in my mouth with slight rose scent , love it

Some picks of the local market in Thailand

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 10:01:34 PM »
I tried my fast  mangosteen at the begging of this year, in Thailand , while I was there on business trip

We normally have them available locally in bayarea, but those are hard like rock and read in this forum that those are not good

I really like them , for me they have texture that melt in my mouth with slight rose scent , love it

Some picks of the local market in Thailand

179 for ndm mango! 6 us$ a kg (2 big mango's) for a local mango grown in Thailand.

60 baht a kg for mangosteen is normal in a supermarket, in season on local market they are 20 baht a kg.

But what is a fast mangosteen?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2014, 06:58:39 AM »
Well let's put it this way, nobody so far has been succesful in getting mangosteen to fruit in Southern California. It's even very difficult to get them to fruit in S. Florida. Right now i'm on a mangosteen diet...eating loads of them has had a bumper crop for first time. Will try to post photos in another thread.
Please do!

OK, i posted some shots of mangosteen i just took. Combined it with an old thread. Just so you don't miss it here they are: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=post;topic=10054.0;last_msg=129300
Oscar

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
I stand corrected!!! out of my pre-packaged bag ($10.99lb) of Mangosteens....I just can't get enough of these things!!! Perfect blend of sweetness, texture, tartness, and slightly unique flavor....I'm in love!!! Not sure if it can beat a CA Cherimoya, but it's up there...

Now for the first time...I can't wait for my next WestPAC deployemnt to raid Thailand and Malaysian Fruit Markets for tree Ripe Mangosteen to maybe get a taste of what a real Mangosteen tastelike....that and I want to try this poo poo Durian
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2014, 06:17:17 PM »
Mangosteens will fruit in South Florida ... I have seen a few fruiting outdoors including one next to a saltwater canal in north Broward county. 

I would very much like the address of this canal, please.  ;)

Sadly most of the trees and the house were leveled to construct a new mini mansion on the property. The owner offered the tree for sale for $1000 and did not find a buyer. I did get a photo of the it and it was hard to believe but it was a fruiting tree about 12 feet tall and 10 feet around. I have been trying for a long time to find the guy who planted it to get the whole story but have not been successful.   

FloridaGreenMan