Author Topic: First taste of mangosteen  (Read 12695 times)

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
First taste of mangosteen
« on: May 19, 2014, 09:28:36 PM »
Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!! Super tasty!!!! So no grow in SoCal right? It would be too good to be true.

I noticed as well that the mangosteens I am eating have no seeds is that common?

fruitnut

• willow Grove, Pa/7b
    • View Profile
Re: First taste of mangosteen
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:06:03 PM »
Why must you tease us like that??

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:32:45 PM »
Congrats Osito! very nice photos, where did you got the fruit or plant?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 11:35:06 PM by huertasurbanas »
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 12:14:51 AM »
Well let's put it this way, nobody so far has been succesful in getting mangosteen to fruit in Southern California. It's even very difficult to get them to fruit in S. Florida. Right now i'm on a mangosteen diet...eating loads of them has had a bumper crop for first time. Will try to post photos in another thread.
Oscar

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 06:19:01 AM »
Well let's put it this way, nobody so far has been succesful in getting mangosteen to fruit in Southern California. It's even very difficult to get them to fruit in S. Florida. Right now i'm on a mangosteen diet...eating loads of them has had a bumper crop for first time. Will try to post photos in another thread.
Please do!
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »

Hi, why is so difficult to fruit mangosteen there?
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 08:19:45 PM »
Mangosteens will fruit in South Florida, not easily but it can be done. Like in most places, it takes years for them to fruit. I have seen a few fruiting outdoors including one next to a saltwater canal in north Broward county. The trick is that they were grown in transplanted acid soils. They will not grow in the local alkaline soils and are cold sensitive especially small trees. They have also fruited here in pots grown outdoors but need to be  protected in the winter. It's a great project tree for the dedicated hobby grower and you will have bragging rights when you do fruit one.
FloridaGreenMan

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 12:59:29 AM »
Tried my first Mangosteen from Seafood city Asian Market today in San Diego....it was very good, but not $10.99 a pound good...a prepackaged bag came out to be 22.00 roughly...And in my opinion... this fruit does not even come close to a CA Cherimoya
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 01:04:01 AM »

Hi, why is so difficult to fruit mangosteen there?

Southern California: consistent winter temperatures below 50F (10C) and also super low relative humidity.
Florida: alkaline soils, periodic arctic blasts that kill them, and hurricane winds that shred them. It can be done by the ultra rich (Whitman) and the ultra dedicated (Grimal). Or in year round glasshouse (Fairchild Gardens).
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 01:07:08 AM »
Tried my first Mangosteen from Seafood city Asian Market today in San Diego....it was very good, but not $10.99 a pound good...a prepackaged bag came out to be 22.00 roughly...And in my opinion... this fruit does not even come close to a CA Cherimoya

I agree with you, not worth $11 a pound. But just keep in mind that what you tasted was probably picked several weeks ago in Thailand, irradiated, and then refrigerated for several weeks in transit and then upon arrival. Not gonna taste anything like right off the tree.
Oscar

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 10:05:47 AM »
I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that a Mangosteen fresh off the tree is an incredible tasting fruit...I truly enjoyed the first one I had yesterday even though it probably fails in comparison to a fresh tree ripe Mangosteen by a Long shot....That being said.....Even if I pushed the flavor of the one I tryed yesterday to the maxium of greatness...It would still fall well short to the Glory of a CA Cherimoya AKA "The Fruit of the Gods"

Cherimoya is KING....there is no other fruit beside it, haven't tryed a top tier Mango yet, but I'm sure it falls short as well.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »
Ummmmmm. ...chermoya is not king.  Durian.is THE KING.
- Rob

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 11:38:03 AM »
i can't speak on the behalve of Durian..I wonder if you can find that out here in Socal?

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »
i can't speak on the behalve of Durian..I wonder if you can find that out here in Socal?

Go to 99 ranch market they often have it frozen whole.

A football with spike that smells like poo and texture can be mushy but taste sweet. It's an acquired taste like  eating a unborn baby duck fetus / balut.

Mangosteen is king
Feijoa is queen

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 11:49:53 AM »

Go to 99 ranch market they often have it frozen whole fruit with spikes and all. And also fresh jackfruit.

A football with spike that smells like poo and texture can be mushy but taste sweet. It's an acquired taste like  eating a unborn baby duck fetus / balut.

Mangosteen is king
Feijoa is queen

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 12:10:40 PM »
Natural Green Thumb - you are delusional.   The durian you describe from the market is not a good comparison to make.  As a matter of fact, it's a poor comparison.   That fruit has been picked underripe, irradiated if from Thailand, and frozen for who knows how long.  If you were to try a ripe, fresh quality durian, tasted wigh an open mind, I can bet you would think different.

I wont even comment with respect to fejoia is Queen. 
- Rob

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »
Mango and Cherimoya connoisseurs....FLARE UP....

Mangosteen and Durian are being labeled King

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
Agree...while frozen durians can be okay at best, they are a very poor substitution for a fresh one.  Same with frozen mangosteen.  Don't get me wrong, a good cherimoya is hard to beat...until you travel to Florida during mango season.  Many of these mango varieties rank right up there with the best of all fruits.  Mangosteen and durian have been labeled queen and king of fruits for a long time now.  A label that has stuck for many reasons.  There are other fruit that I believe give them a run for their money...and it all depends upon which one is in front of me at the moment!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »
Agree...while frozen durians can be okay at best, they are a very poor substitution for a fresh one.  Same with frozen mangosteen.  Don't get me wrong, a good cherimoya is hard to beat...until you travel to Florida during mango season.  Many of these mango varieties rank right up there with the best of all fruits.  Mangosteen and durian have been labeled queen and king of fruits for a long time now.  A label that has stuck for many reasons.  There are other fruit that I believe give them a run for their money...and it all depends upon which one is in front of me at the moment!

I'm looking forward to trying some of these amazing Mango Varieties...I have several trees including LZ, CC, Carrie, Pickering, Miha Chanok, Pina Colada, Edward, Sweet Tart, Nam Doc Mai, and Malika. The trees may not grow as fast as they do in Florida, but I have a feeling the Rich Soil (once conditioned) and hot days/cool night produce some amazing Mangos out here... I should be able do some nice side by side comparisons from my Cherimoya trees and Mango trees one day to really judge.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 01:02:35 PM »
Next time we hit KL, Maylasia or Phukett, Thailand on a deployment....I will make sure I try this Durian and Mangosteen fresh at the market...I have feeling they won't let me on the ship with this stinky Durian.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 01:10:50 PM »

Go to 99 ranch market they often have it frozen whole fruit with spikes and all. And also fresh jackfruit.

Mangosteen is king
Feijoa is queen

"Feijoa is queen"?...Man you gotta get out more often !

FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 01:19:53 PM »
I too agree that a prime fresh picked/ripened Florida mango is hard to beat.  Of course you might say the same for lychees as well...
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »
banana is prince...lol
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 01:31:44 PM »

I'm looking forward to trying some of these amazing Mango Varieties...I have several trees including LZ (yes), CC (yes, when picked correctly), Carrie (meh), Pickering (NO), Miha Chanok (yes), Pina Colada (Soso), Edward (can be awesome, but...), Sweet Tart (yes), Nam Doc Mai (simple honey sweet flavor...but my wife loves it so I have it, luckily on dwarfing RS), and Malika (yes). The trees may not grow as fast as they do in Florida, but I have a feeling the Rich Soil (once conditioned) and hot days/cool night produce some amazing Mangos out here... I should be able do some nice side by side comparisons from my Cherimoya trees and Mango trees one day to really judge.

see bold above...will add Orange Sherbet, Taralay, Peach Cobbler aka Oh Too aka 0-2, Ugly Betty, Southern Blush, Amy (a Jakarta seedling which MIGHT be available at some point), Pineapple Pleasure, 33-10 aka Venus (especially being late season), Honey Kiss (must be picked with significant color), E-4, Cushman...I could keep going on but...

Oh, and in Florida, the best fruit is grown in that great soft sand, not a rich soil.
- Rob

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »

I'm looking forward to trying some of these amazing Mango Varieties...I have several trees including LZ (yes), CC (yes, when picked correctly), Carrie (meh), Pickering (NO), Miha Chanok (yes), Pina Colada (Soso), Edward (can be awesome, but...), Sweet Tart (yes), Nam Doc Mai (simple honey sweet flavor...but my wife loves it so I have it, luckily on dwarfing RS), and Malika (yes). The trees may not grow as fast as they do in Florida, but I have a feeling the Rich Soil (once conditioned) and hot days/cool night produce some amazing Mangos out here... I should be able do some nice side by side comparisons from my Cherimoya trees and Mango trees one day to really judge.

see bold above...will add Orange Sherbet, Taralay, Peach Cobbler aka Oh Too aka 0-2, Ugly Betty, Southern Blush, Amy (a Jakarta seedling which MIGHT be available at some point), Pineapple Pleasure, 33-10 aka Venus (especially being late season), Honey Kiss (must be picked with significant color), E-4, Cushman...I could keep going on but...

Oh, and in Florida, the best fruit is grown in that great soft sand, not a rich soil.

I'm still trying to convince the Wife on getting me a Peach cobbler for my B-day

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk