Author Topic: High-phosphorous fertilizer?  (Read 1445 times)

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
High-phosphorous fertilizer?
« on: May 27, 2014, 07:04:36 PM »
I was at Ong's Nursery this weekend buying some plants, and got to talking with him since he was present (a rarity). He recommends applying a water-soluble 10-52-10 fertilizer twice a month to aid and extend flowering/fruiting. He said normally for example Wax Jambu just produces one crop in July but with the fertilizer it continues flowering/fruiting until November, producing up to 5 crops total.

But everything else I've read about high-phosphate fertilizers is extremely negative. Even water-soluble fertilizers in general seem to have a fair amount of bad things written about them. Of course Ong specializes in tropical fruits from southeast asia so maybe those have a higher need for high-phosphate fertilizer than other plants? Does anyone have personal experience with high-phosphorous fertilizer?

I'd love to extend the fruiting period but probably not if it significantly compromises vegetative growth.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
Re: High-phosphorous fertilizer?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
No one has any thoughts? I'm thinking I'll only use the fertilizer on the two Wax Jambu plants I bought and see if they produce a second round of flowers after the first. If not, or if they start seeming unhealthy, I'll discontinue fertilizer use. But if they do then the fertilizer must in fact be working.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: High-phosphorous fertilizer?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »
I would gauge the use with it on the size and age of the plant. If I was testing it, I would use diluted amounts and watch how the plant responds.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.