Author Topic: Merrit Island - are there still fresh mangoes available there?  (Read 4364 times)

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
I am going to be in Palm Bay Tues/Wed this week and was wondering if there is any person or place still selling fresh mangoes there. If so, how do I find them?

Thank you,
Erica

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Merrit Island - are there still fresh mangoes available there?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »
i think theyre has to be some...try driving down south tropical trai..people sometimes sell them out front of their houses...and ensy's might be open still...and you might be able to visit my buddy Toppy...his mango season was poor, but I know he still has lots of fruits of all sorts...and even some mangoes if you're willing to pick some.

his place is amazing! and so is Toppy!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 01:15:38 AM »
Adam

What is the name of Toppys business and where
Is he located?  I tried a google search
And didn't have any luck. 

Brad
Brad

johnnies100

• Palm Bay, FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:05:29 AM »
Hi Erica,

Ensey's is open and they still have plenty of mangoes.  Go down Pineda Causeway, take a right on Tropical Trail and they are about a mile down on the left side.  I can give you their number if you would like.

Johnnie

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 12:02:09 PM »
I went a few weeks ago and there were mangoes around.  However, a person there said most places only sell on Fri-Sun.  We went to Toppy's but it was closed and they never returned our calls to even say when it would open.  We got Nam Doc Mai's from Marilyn Kings,  Ensey's was open but had mostly run of the mill mangoes.  There are the odd roadside fruit stands with home grown selections.

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 06:46:55 AM »
Thank you all for the great info.

If anyone has information on how to contact Ensey's I would appreciate it. I know there are directions posted to Ensey's but I don't know the area, so I don't know where Pineda Drive is, for instance. Johnnie, if you have a phone number, that would be great. I would appreciate it.

Adam, Where is South Tropical Trail? If your friend Toppy is available, I would love to visit him to purchase mangoes.

While I would love to get some good eating mangoes, run-of-the-mill mangoes are also OK because I have not made mango chutney yet this year.

Thank you!

Erica

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 09:25:46 PM »
Thank you all for the great info.

If anyone has information on how to contact Ensey's I would appreciate it. I know there are directions posted to Ensey's but I don't know the area, so I don't know where Pineda Drive is, for instance. Johnnie, if you have a phone number, that would be great. I would appreciate it.

Adam, Where is South Tropical Trail? If your friend Toppy is available, I would love to visit him to purchase mangoes.

While I would love to get some good eating mangoes, run-of-the-mill mangoes are also OK because I have not made mango chutney yet this year.

Thank you!

Erica

Use GPS, iPhone, google maps...

Merritt Island Nursery ensey's mango grove Angie's cell# 321-205-3122.
9880 S Tropical Trail
Merritt Island, FL   32952-6902

Toppy’s Orchard, 550 West Hall Rd, Merritt Island, FL 32952 321-453-4014

Marilyn King’s Orchard 9010 S. Tropical Trail, Merritt Island, FL 32952

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 08:03:29 PM »
Thank you Future! I was able to call Angie and she put together two big shopping bags of mangoes for me including:

Rutledge, Apple Carrie, Georgiana Hybrid, Aspen, Sunset, Osten, Royal Purple, Valencia Pride and Katalie.

I haven't tried any yet. most are not fully ripe. They look beautiful.

Erica

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »
Thank you Future! I was able to call Angie and she put together two big shopping bags of mangoes for me including:

Rutledge, Apple Carrie, Georgiana Hybrid, Aspen, Sunset, Osten, Royal Purple, Valencia Pride and Katalie.

I haven't tried any yet. most are not fully ripe. They look beautiful.

Erica

You are welcome.  Glad it worked out.  Years ago I bought a "Royal" mango from Fairchild and planted the seed.  I have been wondering if it has any relation to the Royal purple of Merritt island.

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
At the mango class at Fruit and Spice Park, Chris showed some slides of absolutely gorgeous purple and red mangoes but said they had no taste. I didn't write down the names, but am pretty sure there was a "royal" in them. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw this pretty little mango. I only took one.... I will let you know.
Erica

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 07:31:03 PM »
I have had the Royal Purple from Merrit...lousy!  Poor texture and bland/tasteless describe it well.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 10:14:11 PM »
I have had the Royal Purple from Merrit...lousy!  Poor texture and bland/tasteless describe it well.

probably was picked early....this is always what happens with this beautiful fruit....full size with deep purple color, it's easy to jump the gun.....the fruits never develop full flavor when picked this way.

but I really enjoyed them when they were picked at the proper stage, after they started to blush red, and became extremely fragrant.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 10:54:29 PM »

probably was picked early....this is always what happens with this beautiful fruit....full size with deep purple color, it's easy to jump the gun.....the fruits never develop full flavor when picked this way.

but I really enjoyed them when they were picked at the proper stage, after they started to blush red, and became extremely fragrant.

It was given to me along with an Osteen and one named Orange something.   None of them caught my attention or gave me the wow factor but like you hinted, may h ave been off or picked early or just not comparable to the varieties down here.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 11:01:31 PM »
ya I don't think you would be super impressed by a perfectly ripe fruit...you've been desensitized by being so close to ZIll's...lol.

but I'm easy to please with mangoes....this one really had a super strong, candy sweet fragrance (before even cut open), the flavor was something like grape juice to me (maybe like white grape juice and mango).

It was given to me along with an Osteen and one named Orange something.   None of them caught my attention or gave me the wow factor but like you hinted, may h ave been off or picked early or just not comparable to the varieties down here.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk