Author Topic: Decided to Plant my Maha Chanok...  (Read 63886 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Decided to Plant my Maha Chanok...
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2015, 09:42:58 AM »
That's the fruit that I mentioned looked pointed. now looking at it further, it also looks fatter and the shape of the seed is different.  Leos seed is C shaped while Robs seed is S shaped.  To me it does not look like the the MC that Harry and Rob have referenced and that i have planted. But maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe its a Maha Cha Not. Patrick bought one from Ebay.

It's slightly different than other MC but kind of interesting. Its probably a seedling of a real MC or another variety close to MC. My guess is Leo realize it and got wood from Florida of MC. The fruit has the taste profile of a MC so I don't know

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2015, 09:50:52 AM »
I assumed, based on my reading and observation of MC seeds, that all MC seeds were mono, thus there could only be one MC grown from seed, the original.

That's correct. There are not 'multiple varieties' of Maha Chanok anymore than there are 'multiple varieties' of Haden or Kent.

Exactly

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2015, 09:55:17 AM »
I assumed, based on my reading and observation of MC seeds, that all MC seeds were mono, thus there could only be one MC grown from seed, the original.

That's correct. There are not 'multiple varieties' of Maha Chanok anymore than there are 'multiple varieties' of Haden or Kent.

Exactly

Whew, i am sure glad after the umpteenth time it was posted we hear from the master(bater?)...i was getting worried.  Now i can get some sleep.
- Rob

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2015, 09:59:31 AM »
And it's easy to find the maha in the supermarkets here, just follow your nose. They really smell strong and it's not a very pleasant smell.

Last week i was in the Topps with my wife and we both smelled it at the same time...after looking around we found them...between loads of other fruit..easy to find the real maha  ;D, just follow the smell. But if this is what rocks your boat then try a real namdocmai-green. namdocmai si keo. That rocks my boat. 8) :P

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2015, 01:15:43 PM »
To add more confusion, the local nursery to me calls/labels them Maha Janok. Pretty sure they are the same (correct me if I am wrong).  Almost picked one up yesterday...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:37:38 PM by FrankDrebinOfFruits »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »
Is maha chanokaala sweeter than Nam Doc Mai?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »

30 posts later lol.  Fisher to answer your question on how old my Glenn tree is it is 8 years old. It's so sad to see all those beautiful blooms ruined by powdery mildew  :'( :'(

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2015, 05:06:52 PM »
Fruit on my Mahachanok (from Excalibur) tree...

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2015, 10:26:01 PM »

Namdocmai si keo is the sweetest of all mango's i have ever eaten.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2015, 10:29:28 PM »

hmmm..wonder how many he has eaten.  Not many would be my guess...
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2015, 11:06:10 PM »

They're pretty close

Maha(Leo's)18.5
NDM 18

in 2014 tasting.

The highest brix reading we've had in 2014

1. LZ
2. Leo 2
3. Edward
4. Cypress

all in the 20's
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:25:56 PM by JF »

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2015, 11:13:24 PM »

May not be

If you are comparing the NDM grown in your area vs the one in Florida

Like people are crazy about Alphonso is India , and so far what I read here is that its not so great in US

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2015, 11:22:38 PM »

May not be

Like people are crazy about Alphonso is India , and so far what I read here is that its not so great in US

I wrote the NDM- si keo, i still doubt if you guys have that one in the US. Maybe under another name.

And yes the sun here is stronger, this is true tropics and bangkok even the warmest city of the world by average temp.

But mahachanok is not on the markets in large quantity's as ndm. Guess why? They are even not easy to find here.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2015, 11:33:32 PM »

May not be

Alfonso is inconsistent in Socal. I've had some good ones but the majority have been very disappointing.
Pic of a socal grown delicious alfonso

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:52:36 AM by JF »

GardenIslandGrower

• Kauai HI Zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2015, 12:15:33 AM »
Aloha Frank. Just introduced myself in the intro area. I asked Milan the grafter for that nursery and he confirmed it's Maha Chanok. I guess the "ch" can be pronounced like a "j", hence the confusion. He said he brought the scions back from the kings mango orchard in Thailand.....

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2015, 01:48:14 AM »
Aloha Frank. Just introduced myself in the intro area. I asked Milan the grafter for that nursery and he confirmed it's Maha Chanok. I guess the "ch" can be pronounced like a "j", hence the confusion. He said he brought the scions back from the kings mango orchard in Thailand.....

Milan is quite the traveled and experienced grower. It will be a huge loss if and when he retires (he has been saying around 1-2 years).

Well I guess first hand scion delivery pretty much guarantees its an original Maha!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2015, 01:54:38 AM »

Milan is quite the traveled and experienced grower. It will be a huge loss if and when he retires (he has been saying around 1-2 years).

Well I guess first hand scion delivery pretty much guarantees its an original Maha!

It really only guarantees it a graft of what was growing in that orchard.  Not saying its not a real Mahachanok but the trees could have been true variety or they could have been seedlings.  Has anyone seen the fruit produced by Milan"s tree(s)?
- Rob

GardenIslandGrower

• Kauai HI Zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2015, 02:09:44 AM »
The nursery owners daughter showed me a pic of one on her phone from one of the first fruiting Maha's from Milan. It looked like the mango at the top of the page but with more red and purple on it's shoulders and pretty dang colorful over all. It might have looked a little longer/cucumberish even, but my memory isn't that sharp. She was super stoked on how the mango tasted I can tell you that :) Not sure if the description helps. I guess he met someone over there who was part of the ministry of agriculture of the traveling sisterhood or something like that, and that was who got him into the orchard. Milan's a neat guy. I met him by chance and was picking his brain about durian when the mango came up. I can post a pic of my maha's leaves, but don't want to jack the thread. Pretty excited to try it myself...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2015, 02:16:44 AM »
The nursery owners daughter showed me a pic of one on her phone from one of the first fruiting Maha's from Milan. It looked like the mango at the top of the page but with more red and purple on it's shoulders and pretty dang colorful over all. It might have looked a little longer/cucumberish even, but my memory isn't that sharp. She was super stoked on how the mango tasted I can tell you that :) Not sure if the description helps. I guess he met someone over there who was part of the ministry of agriculture of the traveling sisterhood or something like that, and that was who got him into the orchard. Milan's a neat guy. I met him by chance and was picking his brain about durian when the mango came up. I can post a pic of my maha's leaves, but don't want to jack the thread. Pretty excited to try it myself...

Feel free to post pictures of your tree's leaves or the fruit from Milan"s tree if you c a/want.  It would not be highjacking the thread.
- Rob

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2015, 07:40:36 AM »

GardenIslandGrower...Please free to post any pictures on this thread...NO worries! Definitely not high jacking the thread at all like Rob said  :) ;) :D

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2015, 06:11:28 AM »
I saw a mahachanok tree in somebody's garden today, it had many mango's but they were still green. One had a pink blush starting but they all were in full sun.

In the shops they are mostly yellow, to find one with a pink blush you have to search, maybe 1 out of 10 has it.

That scion from the Royal mangogarden from the Thai King must be the real deal. Also the Thai Princess has many fruitgardens all over Thailand and at her palaces. In Chiang mai thailand is a big Doi Kham Royal farm which is open for public, there are many plants/fruittree's grown for demonstration/education purposes.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2015, 03:10:38 AM »
http://www.chiangmaifreshgarden.com/product/6/%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%81mahachanok-mango

Here you can see mahachanok from thailand.

remember that they don't grow true from seed, no matter what your selfclaimed experts will say, mono-embryonic seeds don't grow true. So even a bought scion from a seedling mahachanok is not the real mahachanok.....in thailand we buy grafted tree's to get the real thing.

Also mahachanok does not come from Florida, it comes from Thailand.

I'm tired of all the scammers on this forum who only want to sell what they've got.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2015, 03:24:48 AM »

remember that they don't grow true from seed, no matter what your selfclaimed experts will say, mono-embryonic seeds don't grow true. So even a bought scion from a seedling mahachanok is not the real mahachanok.....in thailand we buy grafted tree's to get the real thing.

I'm tired of all the scammers on this forum who only want to sell what they've got.

Haven't you realized everyone on this forum is tired of you and yoyr incessant gibberish load of bullcrap waste of space pists.  You bring absolutely nothing to this forum.   You may live in Thailand but you know nothing.  You continue to lie about your evergrowing 10,000 acre property and how you must have evey plant and no more thsn everbody on this forum combined.  You are a whiney little ba$tard who pretends to know just cause you know how to type the word g-o-o-g-l-e.  We.
ll, we are tired of you doing nothing but posting links you find on google and google-images.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2015, 08:23:07 AM »

Haven't you realized everyone on this forum is tired of you and yoyr incessant gibberish load of bullcrap waste of space pists.  You bring absolutely nothing to this forum.   You may live in Thailand but you know nothing.  You continue to lie about your evergrowing 10,000 acre property and how you must have evey plant and no more thsn everbody on this forum combined.  You are a whiney little ba$tard who pretends to know just cause you know how to type the word g-o-o-g-l-e.  We.
ll, we are tired of you doing nothing but posting links you find on google and google-images.

Please refrain from insulting other forum members. If you have anyone has an issue with another member please keep it in private messages. No need for insults and name calling.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2015, 10:12:37 AM »
Fruitlovers knows very well that a mono-embryonic mangoseeds don't grow true to type.

He acts like he has the real mahachanok but it's from a seed so not exactly the same as the real one.

That's pure scamming mate.

Don't fool me or other members on this forum.....and go wash your mouth and apologise here. You represent all Americans on this international forum, do you realise how foolish you make all of them look now?

I feel sorry for the real nursery's who also get a bad name by this and your whole nation as well. What do you think Asians are thinking of you guys if you act like this?