Author Topic: Castleberry Jackfruit?  (Read 4431 times)

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
Castleberry Jackfruit?
« on: June 14, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »
Has anybody heard of this? I was told it was one of the varieties being sold down in Homestead....
Zach

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Castleberry Jackfruit?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »
Never heard of Castleberry jackfruit. Do you think it might be a mislabeled Chanthaburi?

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
I went to Robert Is Here today and bought a 23 lb Black Gold. They Had Castleberry Jacks as well. I Had never heard of it until today. I alo purchased some Hak Ip Lychees and some mangos from them.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
I have not heard of that. But new varieties are popping up all the time...I bought a Cristela from Excalibur recently, which I also haven't heard anything about. The Cristela is supposed to have "bright red" flesh.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 10:42:32 PM »
I have not heard of that. But new varieties are popping up all the time...I bought a Cristela from Excalibur recently, which I also haven't heard anything about. The Cristela is supposed to have "bright red" flesh.
Cristela is a new cultivar that Richard named after one of the employees at Excalibur.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 01:59:01 AM »
has anyone tasted the cristela fruit?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 06:29:46 AM »
Yes , a very good red type jack fruit.  I would recommend Deng Suria or Excalibur Red, I think they are a little better in terms of taste and possibly production.   If space is not an issue, plant all three.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »
thanks, Rob.  Would you say that ex-red is better than deng suria...only room for 1 more red jack
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 08:03:16 PM »

Hollywood, if you could give an update on the "bright red flesh" 'Cristela' jackfruit that you have, it would really be appreciated. From your description, it seems that the 'Cristela' jackfruit is redder than the 'Excalibur Red?'

It has to be recognized that thanks to 'Excalibur Nursery' there are some quality, delicious red fleshed jackfruit to be had.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 08:22:04 PM »
Excalibur Red and Deng Suria (also known as Red Morning) are a darker more pronounced red.  Cristela is lighter red with a tinge of pink.
- Rob

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 10:07:43 PM »
Excalibur Red and Deng Suria (also known as Red Morning) are a darker more pronounced red.  Cristela is lighter red with a tinge of pink.

Rob,

Do you like Cristela? Mine is a few years away from producing. It should be noted that it is not a vigorous grower.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 10:08:28 PM »

Rob,

Do you like Cristela? Mine is a few years away from producing. It should be noted that it is not a vigorous grower.

The tree, that is. Not the employee. ;)

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 05:45:30 AM »
Rob,

What is your take on the Red Morning jackfruit from Excalibur?

George

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 10:34:48 AM »

Rob,

The tree, that is. Not the employee. ;)

You see, now I was going to replay that we are just friends.  :)

Yes, the Cristela jackfruit is very good.  Not the best, IMO, but very good.  If picked and ripened properly I feel many jackfruit are very good to excellent, some moreso than others but sometimes its splitting hairs.  Now I will also be honest that some, while not bad, I don't feel are at the same quality level as others but this may more of a personal/subjective thing.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »
Rob,

What is your take on the Red Morning jackfruit from Excalibur?

It may just be the best of the bunch (of all of the reds I have tasted...I have only had one Borneo Red so I cannot give a fair assessment on it).  I really like the reds and Excalibur Red is definitely an awesome tasting jack however I have to say Red Morning may be better.  There are some benefits from the Excalibur Red and it is slightly different in taste, and of course all summations are based on fruit to fruit basis (as they can be affected by time of picking, ripeness when cut and being affected by weather/climate).
- Rob

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 01:04:37 PM »
Anyone have scion available of Excalibur red or any of the other good red varieties?