Author Topic: Opinions on a custom soil blend  (Read 7227 times)

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on a custom soil blend
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 12:27:10 AM »
a nearby garden center sells a blend of 50% decomposed pine bark.  16% decomposed hardwood, 16% mushroom compost, and 16% composted poultry litter - all screened for 3/8" particle size down to dust.  (i know it only adds up to 98% - but the guy's a gardener, not a math prof.)  i get great results with it for all kinds of uses.  it costs me $35 a yard, and i have to haul it about 20 miles.  i just got another yard today.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:29:50 AM by treefrog »
treefrog land and cattle company

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Re: Opinions on a custom soil blend
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2016, 12:49:33 AM »
ha, I just noticed you're in citrus ridge. For some crazy reason, I was thinking you were in Miami. You probably already have awesome, deep, loamy sand, so all you're missing is some organic material.

You might want to consider tree trimmer mulch. It's free and does wonders for sandy soil. My guy can deliver between 20 and 30 yards at once (he has a custom built bed on his truck). Within a couple of years, it's black compost.

You guys in the orlando area have access to way better soil mixes than here in south florida. I remember trying to coax the guys at C&C Peat company to truck a load down here. Their enviro-peat sounded really nice.

The potting mix sounds awesome.
Yea no shortage on sand, i have a mountain of it from my 16 foot hole  :D It actually smells like the beach sand. I took all the tree trimmings and leaves from all my neighbors for the past 2 years and a couple whole oak trees so it filled in my entire yard a few feet deep and filled almost the entire 16 foot hole in, its already turning the sand into worm rich compost,  all the soil is the last step to make it just right and add the other different composts to the soil.

a nearby garden center sells a blend of 50% decomposed pine bark.  16% decomposed hardwood, 16% mushroom compost, and 16% composted poultry litter - all screened for 3/8" particle size down to dust.  (i know it only adds up to 98% - but the guy's a gardener, not a math prof.)  i get great results with it for all kinds of uses.  it costs me $35 a yard, and i have to haul it about 20 miles.  i just got another yard today.

Sounds like a great blend for cheap, i talked to a few people around here that do the same thing, i just really liked the soil blend from the store and its delivered for me so i figured might as well, nearest guy to me was over 30 miles.  also being in bags makes it easier to move and more organized in a stack while i chip away at it instead of a mound of dirt in my driveway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk