Author Topic: lemon zest mango? maybe?  (Read 3029 times)

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
lemon zest mango? maybe?
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:29:19 PM »
i just had a mango from whole foods that i think may have been a lemon zest  it was light yellow with an undertint of green.  black freckles like coarse ground black pepper.  plump sigmoid in shape, perhaps twelve ounces
the first taste tone was a pronounced "lemon."  not the lemon of a fresh lemon, but the lemon of a lemon flavored hard candy.  sweet and pleasant flesh, almost totally fiber-free except right next the the seed.
there was a label with the words:

ORGANIC
Francique
Haiti
followed by the number:

a very nice mango.  sorry, no pic, i ate it.

does this sound like a haitian - raised lemon zest?

EDIT:
i just found the answer.  i googled mango francique haiti  and found that francique is a variety unique to haiti.  it's a very good (not quite great) mango, worth the two bucks each that they cost.  the article i read said that whole foods usually only had them for a short time each year.  they're there now if you want to try one.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:43:55 PM by treefrog »
treefrog land and cattle company

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: lemon zest mango? maybe?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 11:55:36 PM »
Yah, madame francis is commonly found in stores here in south florida. Unfortunately, the only mangoes that can be found at the supermarket are: keitt, ataulfo, kent, madame francis, and tommy atkins. Of the group, I ataulfo is the best tasting mango to be found at the supermarket. But, even it is a throw away mango compared to a backyard grown lemon zest.

I'm not sure we'll ever see lemon zest mangoes at the supermarket. Industry tends to converge on 1/2 dozen varieties that have been selected for disease resistance, shelf life, shipping, and production. It's unfortunate that you can nary find a florida grown orange, much less a florida grown mango, from any of the supermarket chains here in Florida.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:58:19 PM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 06:34:31 AM »
And that lemon flavor was basically from the msngo being picked way too early.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 11:07:24 AM »
I didn't think about that, but you're probably right. The lemon zest mango is misnamed in my opinion, as the flavor is not lemony at all; it's just like orange sherbet ice cream.

And that lemon flavor was basically from the msngo being picked way too early.

gpuccio

• Southwest Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 11:52:21 AM »
Picked up some of the exact same mangoes at whole foods the other day. Mine were perfectly ripe when cutting open and I didn't get the lemon zest taste except a very thin layer of the flesh around the skin. Was a PDG mango... though a tease of what's to come :)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 11:55:34 AM »
I've only eaten about 10 fully mature Lemon Zest, nowhere near the amount you guys in Florida have had but I definitely had a Lemon Zest with very strong lemon zest flavor. My wife does a lot of baking and making desserts and we often use Meyer lemon and orange zest. I've also had some Lemon Zests that tasted less like lemon zest and tasted more orangey. Not orange zest just more Orangy.

Aborted Lemon Zest mangos AKA LZ nubbins are super sweet and much more creamy, Brix for the nubbins were above 30% when I tested last year. I got a new refractometer so I'll find out exactly how high they can get. FYI, I have the gene that makes anything in the brocolli family taste bitter.

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 04:36:49 PM »
FL grown LZ are super sweet, perhaps like the nubbins you're talking about. One advantage of this crazy heat we have here is that it sweetens the fruit up.

I've only eaten about 10 fully mature Lemon Zest, nowhere near the amount you guys in Florida have had but I definitely had a Lemon Zest with very strong lemon zest flavor. My wife does a lot of baking and making desserts and we often use Meyer lemon and orange zest. I've also had some Lemon Zests that tasted less like lemon zest and tasted more orangey. Not orange zest just more Orangy.

Aborted Lemon Zest mangos AKA LZ nubbins are super sweet and much more creamy, Brix for the nubbins were above 30% when I tested last year. I got a new refractometer so I'll find out exactly how high they can get. FYI, I have the gene that makes anything in the brocolli family taste bitter.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 06:14:43 PM »
I have only noticed that lemony taste (which comes with a slightly chalkiness) when the LZ is picked prematurely/green or sampling a young/early drop.  Otherwise,  they are orangey sherbert as Jeff stated.
- Rob

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 10:27:55 AM »
I just had some Francique mangoes from Whole Foods as well. I agree with the original post. Good, not great. Not really much of the classic mango flavor. Much more citrusy, floral and acid present. I ate one that was definitely unripe. But then I ate the other two that were very ripe. Worth the price and I'm glad I tried them, but it didn't knock my socks off.
- Mark

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk