Author Topic: Any suggestions for a Stump Grinder?  (Read 3538 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Any suggestions for a Stump Grinder?
« on: May 24, 2016, 06:45:57 PM »
Anyone have suggestions for an affordable stump grinder?

I was looking at this one:

http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/stump-grinders/
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Any suggestions for a Stump Grinder?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 07:06:54 PM »
Have you considered renting one?
Jeff  :-)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 07:18:10 PM »
DR has good design, but they use really cheap parts that rapidly fall apart. I think renting is a good idea because it's not something you have to use very often, and then you can rent a professional model instead of  cheap homeowner model. Beware: very dangerous equipment, you better know what you're doing. You're really better off hiring someone to do it for you if you can afford it.
Oscar

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10:28 PM »
The last time I rented a medium size stump grinder.  The control switch was damaged and the teeth were not that sharp, so I was not as productive as possible.  I was rushing to be able to return the equipment on time on a two day rental, which is why I missed some stuff.  It would be nice to have on stump grinder on hand when I have a little project. 

Is this one better than the DR Grinder?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200512501_200512501
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 10:39:36 PM »
I've been trying the approach to rotting stumps -- I assume that would work better for folks like you in more tropical locations?  I rented an auger from the tool lending library and drilled fairly big holes in a stump, and then filled it with cheap high N lawn fertilizer.  The problem is that we don't get enough rain to keep the stump soaked, and when it rains it's not warm so I haven't seen much decomposition.  But I figure it'd work for you.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 10:44:35 PM »
I've been trying the approach to rotting stumps -- I assume that would work better for folks like you in more tropical locations?  I rented an auger from the tool lending library and drilled fairly big holes in a stump, and then filled it with cheap high N lawn fertilizer.  The problem is that we don't get enough rain to keep the stump soaked, and when it rains it's not warm so I haven't seen much decomposition.  But I figure it'd work for you.

I sometimes do the same thing, but use a chainsaw instead to make some nothces into the stump.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 10:48:40 PM »
The last time I rented a medium size stump grinder.  The control switch was damaged and the teeth were not that sharp, so I was not as productive as possible.  I was rushing to be able to return the equipment on time on a two day rental, which is why I missed some stuff.  It would be nice to have on stump grinder on hand when I have a little project. 

Is this one better than the DR Grinder?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200512501_200512501

How many stumps do you have to grind? If only a few it might work. I haven't bought from that company, but i believe they also make low end products. Good stump grinders, like good chippers, are very expensive. I'd try a rental company that does a better job of maintaining their equipment. Does Home Depot where you live rent them?
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 11:24:16 PM »
Yah, I who knows how long the northstar or the dr grinder is going to last you. It says the ship weight is 135 pounds, which is fairly light for a stump grinder. The motor looks OK, but I wouldn't doubt that the body and grinder are made in china.

You might want to check out Mackissic. They have a couple of units that are semi-commercial level. I own their commercial chipper / shredder and have been really happy with it. If you're going to spend that kind of dough, however, I'd recommend getting a chipper over a stump grinder. You'll use the chipper practically every other weekend once your orchard matures.

http://www.mackissic.com/Stump%20Cutters.html
Jeff  :-)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 03:58:33 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  A stump grinder would be a nice thing to have, but not really necessary in the big picture. 

www.FLMangos.com

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 06:14:09 PM »
I'd recommend the Caravaggi stump grinder. It's an attachment to the BCS line of rototiller/walking tractors, which I can attest are built like tanks. I haven't used the stump grinder, but have nothing but good things to say about the folks at Earthtools (the American dealer for these European tillers and implements. Check out their videos:
http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/html/bcs_implements.html

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 11:43:45 PM »

it depends on how much of a hurry you are in.  i use a one inch paddle bit drill and ammonium nitrate fertilizer from the feed store.  two or three  months later, no stump!  lots of decomposed wood and bark breaks down into humus.  also the roots decompose.  a little "rid - x" septic tank activator speeds things up.  i sprinkle a little on with the ammonium nitrate.

waaaay cheaper (and quieter) than a stump grinder.
treefrog land and cattle company

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 06:06:26 PM »
it depends on how much of a hurry you are in.  i use a one inch paddle bit drill and ammonium nitrate fertilizer from the feed store.  two or three  months later, no stump!  lots of decomposed wood and bark breaks down into humus.  also the roots decompose.  a little "rid - x" septic tank activator speeds things up.  i sprinkle a little on with the ammonium nitrate.

waaaay cheaper (and quieter) than a stump grinder.

Do you drill one hole or multiple holes? And how deep? Won't the fertilizer get washed out by rain?  Thanks!
I have been toying with doing the same myself. I think an 8-3-9 NPK fertilizer will do the same but take longer
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 06:08:18 PM by zands »

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 08:48:27 PM »
zands,  one hole or multiple?  depends on the size of the stump.  drill them nice and deep, that helps with the washing-out.  also, there's no rule you can
t re-fill the holes.  another cupfull of ammonium nitrate's pretty cheap.  around here it comes in fifty pound bags.  about eight bucks last time i bought any, but that was a while ago.  it might be ten bucks by now.   like i said, waaaaay cheaper than a grinder.  probably cheaper than the gas to run a grinder.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:06:01 PM by treefrog »
treefrog land and cattle company

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 09:01:54 AM »
zands,  one hole or multiple?  depends on the size of the stump.  drill them nice and deep, that helps with the washing-out.  also, there's no rule you can
t re-fill the holes.  another cupfull of ammonium nitrate's pretty cheap.  around here it comes in fifty pound bags.  about eight bucks last time i bought any, but that was a while ago.  it might be ten bucks by now.   like i said, waaaaay cheaper than a grinder.  probably cheaper than the gas to run a grinder.
Thanks for the details!!!  I got some extra long drills at the flea market for this purpose. The ammonium nitrate ...have to go to  feed store for this and they are not where I live. I bet some common 10-10-10 would be fairly fast acting

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk