Author Topic: Fruits of this year on my backyard.  (Read 3537 times)

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Fruits of this year on my backyard.
« on: September 10, 2016, 08:40:10 PM »
Hi everybody.  :) Wanted to post some pics of my fruits I harvested this year so far and there are more coming. I grow everything in containers as you probably know. Anyway, here is a papaya I had today and it was delicious. Too bad, only one fruit. Need to replant the tree asap. The container it's in is too small.

Triumph persimmon - delicious. :) Got 7 fruits this year. Very happy with the tree.

Mascadine grape on the left, grown from seed. I have no idea what variety. Strawberry guava on the right. Very tasty fruit. Wish I had more.

Pineapples. Got 18 of them this year (only 4 last year). Three containers had 3 fruits. Four - 2 fruits and a couple - just 1. My patio smelled like haven. ;D Unfortunately, I lost 2 nice size ripe pineapples to some kinda animal passing by. :'(

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Fruits of this year on my backyard.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 12:55:39 AM »
This is a sport from my sweet stripes pineapple. Looks quite different.

sjtropical

• Bay area CA with a greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 03:13:11 AM »
Wow. That papaya looks delicious.  What variety is it?

And those pineapples are gorgeous. 

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 07:09:15 AM »
Thats interesting coloration on the strawberry guava. The reds here dont have that yellow through them.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 10:41:52 AM »
Wow. That papaya looks delicious.  What variety is it?

And those pineapples are gorgeous.

sjtropical Thanks. This papaya had a name tag Red Lady, bought from Walmart.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 10:56:27 AM »
Thats interesting coloration on the strawberry guava. The reds here dont have that yellow through them.

druss I noticed that too. Also that tree has 2 trunks, probably 2 seedlings growing from one place. I was going to cut one since it was leaning on a side and falling over every time we have some wind. But I left it for more fruits. The tree didn't hold fruits very well and I gave it last chance just pruned it well. Then I got clusters of little guavas on this *branch* and only one on the other. Both branches or trees flowered at the same time and only one had fruits.  ??? But the coloration is different from what I see on pictures on the internet. A friend of mine has a couple of Strawberry guava trees and they are dwarfish and had clusters of fruits and I believe with usual coloration. She sent me some seeds and they are smaller than the seeds from my tree. I will post the picture of my fruit cut opened.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 11:05:44 AM by Galka »

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 11:05:52 AM »
Inspiring :). Thanks for sharing.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 11:16:08 AM »
Here are some pictures of the fruit.

And this is the tree. Needs repoting bad.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 11:30:06 AM »
Inspiring :). Thanks for sharing.

Thanks.  :) Another thing I wanted to share. I was playing with Sea grape cuttings and managed to root them in a water and in a soil. The ones in the water took like 6-7 month to send some nice roots and the one in the soil took about 2-3 month in a green house.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 08:32:06 PM »
Thanks.  :) Another thing I wanted to share. I was playing with Sea grape cuttings and managed to root them in a water and in a soil. The ones in the water took like 6-7 month to send some nice roots and the one in the soil took about 2-3 month in a green house.

Nice looking fruit variety.

You convinced me to pick up some Sea Grapes for the yard. I just read a little and one poster on the internet said male and female plants were required for fruiting. Is this why you used graphs to ensure you had both vs. seedling unknown and perhaps taste difference if you tried the fruit of your cuttings earlier; or just because the cuttings may grow faster.

Also on the cuttings in the soil for 2-3 months did you keep the soil moist and was it just in your natural soil and did you use a root hormone with a mister etc. Also with the 6 month water containers,  I was suprised no problems with bacteria, fungi, etc. with regular water or did you add something to the water to help the rooting process.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 06:33:23 AM »
Im sure it was coconut that talked about a lemon/strawberry guava hybrid that he grew that had red and yellow skin striped like an apple. Yours reminds me of that. Not too many seeds either.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 01:21:45 PM »

Nice looking fruit variety.

You convinced me to pick up some Sea Grapes for the yard. I just read a little and one poster on the internet said male and female plants were required for fruiting. Is this why you used graphs to ensure you had both vs. seedling unknown and perhaps taste difference if you tried the fruit of your cuttings earlier; or just because the cuttings may grow faster.

Also on the cuttings in the soil for 2-3 months did you keep the soil moist and was it just in your natural soil and did you use a root hormone with a mister etc. Also with the 6 month water containers,  I was suprised no problems with bacteria, fungi, etc. with regular water or did you add something to the water to help the rooting process.

palmcity Thanks. My Sea Grape flowered this spring for the first time and didn't set fruits. I've heard they are not easy to root and wanted to try when I pruned my overgrown bushy Sea Grape. I had to change water in the bucket once or twice a week. The water was a city water. I didn't add anything to it. The cuttings were a thumb size in width. The one in the green house, yes, the soil was moist. I didn't use any hormone to help the rooting process. Honestly, I didn't think it will take. The cutting was a foot tall and looked dead for awhile.  :) But later I noticed a new growth coming.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 01:23:14 PM »
Nana pomegranate.

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 03:02:59 PM »
Nice looking fruit!

How did you get the pineapple plants started? Are they any particular variety?

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 02:21:22 AM »
Nice looking fruit!

How did you get the pineapple plants started? Are they any particular variety?
Thank you, Jackson. Almost all of them are tops from store bought pineapples and home grown ones. I have no idea what the variety they are.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk