Author Topic: Alano Sapodilla  (Read 6369 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Alano Sapodilla
« on: July 22, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »
I have found online that the Alano Sapodilla (Nov-Jun) is supposed to have the opposite fruiting season of the Makok (May-Nov).  However, a grower on Pine Island feels that the Alano may just add a couple of extra months in addition to the Makok season, and he feels these supposed fruiting seasons are a bit optimistic.

Has anyone had firsthand experience with these cultivars and know if they really do have opposite seasons?

Brad
Brad

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Alano Sapodilla
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 12:32:45 PM »
I have found online that the Alano Sapodilla (Nov-Jun) is supposed to have the opposite fruiting season of the Makok (May-Nov).  However, a grower on Pine Island feels that the Alano may just add a couple of extra months in addition to the Makok season, and he feels these supposed fruiting seasons are a bit optimistic.

Has anyone had firsthand experience with these cultivars and know if they really do have opposite seasons?

Brad
In Lake Worth, from what I have seen, the Alano are just finishing up and the Makok seem to have fruit, albeit small fruit, on the trees.
- Rob

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 01:34:22 PM »
Thanks Rob.  Then that would give support to the idea opposite seasons. 

Brad
Brad

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:26:53 PM »
Brad:  The University of Florida created a publication on point. 

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg057
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 07:40:01 PM »
Brad:  The University of Florida created a publication on point. 

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg057
You can't always rely on these UF publications as completely accurate.  I have found many incorrect issues with various fruits from these publications.  Always better to get first hand knowledge.  For one thing, each season's weather plays a role in actual fruiting times.  For instance, November is a little early for Alano.  I would also question some of the granular characteristics they show...brown sugar is way more granular then "slightly".  It is one of the most granular.  I would also question some of the flesh colors they list.  The sizes and seasons are a little off for some. 

Overall, the UF publication may be a decent reference but I would not say it is on point and fully accurate.  Since Brad stated he did some research and was questioning his findings...I agree with Brad's asking for actual individual/direct knowledge on the subject.
- Rob

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »
Its mid-july and I still have some Alano Sapodilla on the tree.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »
The IFAS link is a good starting point, and mostly looks good.

However, besides the exceptions already mentioned, there is the total Hooooey about Sapodillas' being un-recommendable for planting due to their being invasive exotics.

Has anyone ever seen Citrus volunteering where persons don't want them?   Think Citrus species are going to make it onto this wise-ass committees' list?
Har

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 10:08:39 PM »

However, besides the exceptions already mentioned, there is the total Hooooey about Sapodillas' being un-recommendable for planting due to their being invasive exotics.

Has anyone ever seen Citrus volunteering where persons don't want them?   Think Citrus species are going to make it onto this wise-ass committees' list?
Are you referring to your list or the "people" who feel saps are an invasive exotic?  If you are referring to the latter, no, citrus will never make it onto any "invasive" list as its commercial importance will keep it of any "bad" list.
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 12:26:28 AM »
I've been eating Alanos from my smallish tree for several months (not in large quantities). And it looks like there are more that will be ready over the next month or so.

It seems to me that I've seen mature fruit on it at various times of year.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 04:18:23 AM »

I noticed many years ago that sapodilla is on the Florida invasive species list. Yet when i asked Floridians nobody could say any sapodillas grew wild anywhere in Florida. So i wonder why it got on that list??
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk