Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Growing Mango trees in Southern California

<< < (156/182) > >>

Victoria Ave:
When I dig up the large seedling I did not get the taproot and in fact only dug a pretty small rootball. It does not seem to have slowed the tree down any as it may be my most vigorous tree.

And yes my Valencia pride was a 25 gallon tree I bought from Florida before I knew any better and it had a few rough years. It has been starting to bounce back these past few years, but will never become the large tree I hoped it would

UplanderCA:

--- Quote from: Victoria Ave on September 11, 2022, 06:11:16 PM ---So the SoCal heatwave out here kept temps above 100 for two whole weeks. I gave one extra run of irrigation during that time and then I’ve been catching my greywater in a bucket and giving extra water. Now with the warm humid rain I am getting some nice flushes. The heat and sun also made my oldest Valencia Pride mangos on the tree develop some great colors.

I don’t want these to split on the tree, but I want them to be their best. I have been told to pick them once their shoulders fill out and then ripen off tree. I want to make sure I am interpreting that correctly, in the shown photo there is a distinct angle on the top mango. I am interpreting letting the shoulder fill out by that area swelling and rounding out so it is a smooth full curve instead of a flat angle.

Is this the correct way?

Anybody harvesting already?

--- End quote ---

Hey Victoria Ave,
I've been harvesting the last two weeks: NDM and Valencia pride from this weekend.

Waiting for Sweet Tart

and my first Seacrest / Triple Sec

For me, this years harvest is much smaller than last year.  My Maha crop is skimpy this year - maybe 4 nice size fruit.  Hoping that the opossums and fox squirrels stay away from the remaining mangos.   

Victoria Ave:
Sorry to hear about the skimpy crop, but hopefully those trees put on some good growth to get ready for the next year!

Woke up this morning to find my only colorful VP on the ground. I thought this was coming because I could feel the nose getting soft (probably should have picked it before it fell) it has real firm flesh it the nose is quite soft. It was a trip to feel as the skin changed color it also got so smooth! The smell from the outside is incredible and I think I will eat it tonight. The others on the tree are bigger than this, still green and rough skinned so I think just a random early ripening one

love_Tropic:
Hi all,
I am new to growing tropical trees... Trying to setup and grow 2 or 3 dwarf Mango varieties. Any good place to buy around SoCal? also looking for suggestions on  Carrie, Mallika and Keitt? (early, mid and late season)  Tasted Keitt and Mallika and liked it.
Any thoughts on Dwarf Hawaiian, Nam Doc Mai and Angie?
Thanks for the Help

Samu:
Took home this big Keitt mango at Seafood City Irvine last night.
The box's label shows this comes from Sinaloa, Mexico. So, they got hot water
treatment or where they "radiated"?
Hope the seeds are still viable, that I will have 4 seedlings coming...
Just an fyi.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version