Author Topic: Mango Tree Size Help  (Read 1298 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Mango Tree Size Help
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »
Believe me when I say I've searched this forum for the answer with no luck, at least not for the CC. How large are mature Sweettart Mango trees? How about Coconut Cream? Thank You

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Tree Size Help
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:23:48 AM »
Since they are just 6 years at most since release, trying to find true accurate info on the mature, or outright height,  would be difficult.   Based on the mother tree and growth habits of both since release, I would expect both to exceed 30 feet with the Sweet Tart probably easily exceeding 30 feet. Of course, the heights can be controlled with a proper annual pruning regimen.
- Rob

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »
Since they are just 6 years at most since release, trying to find true accurate info on the mature, or outright height,  would be difficult.   Based on the mother tree and growth habits of both since release, I would expect both to exceed 30 feet with the Sweet Tart probably easily exceeding 30 feet. Of course, the heights can be controlled with a proper annual pruning regimen.

I just assumed someone might have seen the original 10 year old or so trees from Zill, but looking at the parents is a great indicator.  Thank You Sir. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 09:49:15 AM »

I just assumed someone might have seen the original 10 year old or so trees from Zill, but looking at the parents is a great indicator.  Thank You Sir.

The original is a seedling and shouldn't be used as an ultimate basis for a tree grafted on nursery stock.

I have seen a tree that has been top worked onto 50+ year old trees for over 10 years but that is not good to go by either.
- Rob