Author Topic: Why my Longan fruits all dropped?  (Read 5293 times)

Cookie0208

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Why my Longan fruits all dropped?
« on: June 15, 2017, 01:27:02 AM »
Hello, I have 3 Longan trees, they all have flowers nicely and have small fruits, but then all the small pepper size fruits all dropped. I'm soooo sad  :'( Anyone have any ideas why? Also, anyone knows what's the best way to reduce pH level? Thanks

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Why my Longan fruits all dropped?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 01:57:39 AM »
Can you give more details.  Age of trees, size of trees, in pots or in ground, care being given, etc.  Pictures would also help.
- Rob

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 08:35:48 PM »
I have a potted 'Elian' longan that I purchased from Excalibur, based on a recommendation from bsb.

About 2 weeks ago, it put out a lot of longan buds, which I proceeded to remove most of them, and allowed just a handful to remain. I did this to promote root development. I was expecting to see what was the fruit size is for this variety, & eat and sample the ones I left on the tree, but much to my surprise,the longan buds I left on the tree all dropped too!  :(

I guess I'll wait for next year. And, if there's longan fruit production, I'm not gonna touch it. I'm just gonna let it do its thing, and see what happens.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 08:46:22 PM »
How hot did it get in your area, the heat might have caused the tree to abort its fruit

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 09:56:21 PM »
I add oak leaves, pine needles, mulch, coffee grounds, Canadian peat, to my trees. This past year
I got pine shavings with mouse manure from a rodent farm. It was full of urea and I mixed it 50-50
with mulch and let it compost for 6 months. I put a ring of this around all my trees. My hope is the pine
shavings and urea would lower the ph and work as organic fertilizer? This week I cleaned my gutters of
oak leaves and put the leaves around a few of my most critical plants including my 2 COR. One of my COR
is pushing 10 feet and so far I haven't had dieback? My yard is basically white sand and the ph is very high,
I get coffee grounds every week from the local coffee shop and once a month I add it to all my trees. Its been
a constant effort to add as much to the sand as possible. Every tree I have has a ring of mulch around it and
I add 2-3 times a year more fresh mulch. In a thousand years I will have a couple feet of rich black soil around
my trees. Pine needles and oak leaves are real beneficial for lowering ph

Cookie0208

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 12:18:52 AM »
My longan tree is 8 years old on the ground, trunk size about 3", 9 feet tall, 9 feet wide. I put blood meal, fish & seaweed harvest, and give the tree potassium sulfide 0050. I water the tree every 3 days. I bought this tree when it was in a pot and I transplanted it about 1.5 years now. Last year it didn't have any flower. This year it has so many flowers, but most small fruits dropped. The temperature here during the day this week is between 80-99 degree.

Any ideas why my longan tree dropped most of the small fruits? Thanks

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 11:40:04 AM »
A suggestion would be to water more often when the tree flowers at least every other day. In the past I have had numerous trees flower
for the first time without fruit set. Hopefully next year will be better for fruit set? Two of my koala longans fruited last year for the first time and this year no flowers? Last year my fortune eye flowered and dropped fruit this year one bunch only set fruit. The positive aspect is you should get better growth from your tree without the energy going into fruit set. Hopefully next year your tree will be bigger and more capable of
producing more fruit?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 11:58:07 AM »
In SoCal, Longan needs more water as the fruit sets and starts to enlarge. My uncle in Santa Anna has a large Longan tree and it flowers pretty consistently but the fruits kept dropping and he always blamed it on the Santa Anna winds. I told him to increase water so that he was watering every 2-3 days, everyday when it's really hot, and he's been able to harvest plenty of fruit ever since.

Simon

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 05:10:44 PM »
I removed 2 Logan tree since they did not bear many fruit. I did not water them because they always had big green leaves.  >:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk