Author Topic: "Sweetgreen" Atemoya  (Read 297 times)

Roman

• Nature Enjoyer & Container Gardener
  • Always Ready & Willing to Learn!
    • USA - California, Davis, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
"Sweetgreen" Atemoya
« on: January 20, 2024, 04:41:23 PM »
Hi folks,

Anyone here ever heard of the atemoya variety called "Sweetgreen"? I recently purchased a tree from an Etsy seller that I'm fairly certain is the Mimosa Nursery located in East LA operating under an alias (the other Mimosa Nursery in Rosemead doesn't appear to be selling this variety).

Unfortunately, diddly-squat comes up when I try to search for any info on it besides a couple small nurseries doing some basic self-advertising on Facebook, with basically no meaningful info on the actual traits of the variety mentioned -- other than one of the nurseries claiming that its fruit has few seeds and tastes great (truly a tour de force of a description).

Another Etsy seller claimed that "Sweetgreen" is just renamed "Dream". I had a conversation with a different Etsy seller who claimed that "Sweetgreen" originated in a Californian nursery and is not just renamed "Dream". This seller didn't specify how the two varieties differed, nor how each's fruit compared to the other (I probably should've asked...), but did go on to claim that they obtained their scions from the original source (they didn't give the name of the nursery).

I don't necessarily doubt that barebones origin story for "Sweetgreen" and that it's supposedly a separate/distinct variety from "Dream", but I'm not exactly satisfied with it either. Any additional backstory as well as info on cold-hardiness, fruit flavor, and production characteristics for this variety would be much appreciated.

I've included a pic from the Etsy listing below. It does somewhat resemble pics of "Dream" fruit that I was able to pull up from a basic Google search. I'm hoping these two varieties aren't the same thing but I honestly wouldn't be ticked-off even if they are the same (I wouldn't mind having a backup tree). Any photos of your tree and/or its fruit would be awesome if any of you are willing to share!

Thanks in advance!

Every new day is full of new opportunities!

Ready to learn and always growing!

-- Roman

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: "Sweetgreen" Atemoya
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 08:17:38 PM »
I donít have information to add about sweeetgreen, but the fruit photo does not look like Dream Annona.

Fruitfool

Roman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 08:54:46 PM »
I donít have information to add about sweeetgreen, but the fruit photo does not look like Dream Annona.

Fruitfool

Appreciate your input, if anyone out there has any info to share on "Sweetgreen", please chime in.

-- Roman

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 11:45:05 PM »
Here is a link to a review of 10 atemoya varieties in Vietnamese.  Even though sweetgreen is not on the table, at the end of the review, they mentioned that sweetgreen and Taiwan varieties are not good enough to grow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtY4JlMymO0
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 11:49:43 PM by seng »

Roman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 12:09:41 AM »
Here is a link to a review of 10 atemoya varieties in Vietnamese.  Even though sweetgreen is not on the table, at the end of the review, they mentioned that sweetgreen and Taiwan varieties are not good enough to grow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtY4JlMymO0

Thanks a bunch for sharing, seng. I had to view the video using auto-translated subtitles, which almost certainly don't give an accurate representation of what they're saying, but it seems like they really aren't fond of the Taiwanese or Sweetgreen atemoyas based off of their body language when they mention those two by name LOL.

Oh well, I guess I'll just keep the tree and see how it does for me as an experiment. If the graft dies, then I can just chop it back and use the cherimoya rootstock it's on to practice grafting and nothing of value will have been lost.

-- Roman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk