Author Topic: Pouteria lucuma  (Read 46952 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Pouteria lucuma
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2013, 02:22:10 PM »
Can lucoma be propagated by cuttings? Look at the first and last picture on the side. It's the same plant picture, just a close up of the flowers or are they flowers? Is that a moist or dry looking fruit variety?

http://www.amazon.com/L%C3%BAcuma-Pouteria-Lucuma-Eggfruit-Plant/dp/B009ZII44M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382206115&sr=8-1&keywords=lucuma+plant

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
Can lucoma be propagated by cuttings? Look at the first and last picture on the side. It's the same plant picture, just a close up of the flowers or are they flowers? Is that a moist or dry looking fruit variety?

http://www.amazon.com/L%C3%BAcuma-Pouteria-Lucuma-Eggfruit-Plant/dp/B009ZII44M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382206115&sr=8-1&keywords=lucuma+plant
Hi! In the last video they plant the lucuma orchad by planting cuttings on the grownd! There are the dry var. lucuma de palo and the moist var. lucuma de seda.  :)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »
Luis, are you growing lucuma?
No, infortunately i don't get any seed yet, but i want it a lot!  ;D You have it don't you? You have a good experience with lucuma?

Yes, I currently have two grafted trees. I don't know the first cultivar. The second one is La Molina #4. I have not tasted the last one, but I have very good references about the eating quality. BTW, La Molina is the public research station in Lima, Peru.

Both trees are doing fine, but I think they would prefer a little cooler climate. They suffer some stress in summer.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2013, 02:42:12 PM »
No, infortunately i don't get any seed yet, but i want it a lot!  ;D You have it don't you? You have a good experience with lucuma?

Yes, I currently have two grafted trees. I don't know the first cultivar. The second one is La Molina #4. I have not tasted the last one, but I have very good references about the eating quality. BTW, La Molina is the public research station in Lima, Peru.

Both trees are doing fine, but I think they would prefer a little cooler climate. They suffer some stress in summer.
Really? This give me hope... i think lucuma will grow very well here...

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »

Hi! In the last video they plant the lucuma orchad by planting cuttings on the grownd! There are the dry var. lucuma de palo and the moist var. lucuma de seda.  :)
Thanks, I didn't look at that video and commented before watching it.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2014, 12:13:05 PM »
I just find a nursery here that sells Big lucuma trees of var La Molina by 25 euros. I will buy one!  ;D

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2014, 12:46:47 PM »
Now i have!!! I just buy a lucuma de seda "Molina 4" tree!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D and a canistel tree too!!!  ;)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2014, 01:29:25 PM »
Lucky you! Do you know the difference between Molina #4 and Molina #1? It would be interesting to know.

Tomas

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »
Lucky you! Do you know the difference between Molina #4 and Molina #1? It would be interesting to know.

Tomas
Hi Tomas! That's a good question but i don't know... By the way, a seed of eugenia lutescens just sprout!  ;D

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »
My big tree is in full bloom at the moment and a young  tree, which i grafted has also a few flowers...hopefully this year, I'll see some fruits. :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »
My big tree is in full bloom at the moment and a young  tree, which i grafted has also a few flowers...hopefully this year, I'll see some fruits. :)
Hi Jack! Do you know if they fruit with only one tree? Congratulations!  ;D

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2014, 05:01:26 PM »

Hey Luis, ;) Thanks...I reckon another tree not needed, as I have seen a single tree heavy with fruit...but, my tree has been flowering for several years now, though not a single fruit has been produced...maybe, a lack of pollination.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2014, 05:10:39 PM »

Hey Luis, ;) Thanks...I reckon another tree not needed, as I have seen a single tree heavy with fruit...but, my tree has been flowering for several years now, though not a single fruit has been produced...maybe, a lack of pollination.
I just hope not... i don't have more space!  :-[

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »
Usually lucuma is self fertile, same as all sapotacea I know of.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »

I just hope not... i don't have more space!  :-[

A grafted lucuma doesn't get very big...quite a manageable tree. There is always space for them trees. :)

Usually lucuma is self fertile, same as all sapotacea I know of.

Hey Felipe, I'm aware of that, but my tree doesn't set any fruit.  :-\ Has your trees started to produce?
Time is like a river.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2014, 04:40:12 PM »
Steven, my older lucuma grafted lucuma (unknown cultivar) does produce. The younger one (La Molina #4) has flowered not not produces yet.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2014, 05:08:59 PM »
Steven, my older lucuma grafted lucuma (unknown cultivar) does produce. The younger one (La Molina #4) has flowered not not produces yet.

Grazie, Felipe...maybe, the older tree is La Molina Nº1. This cultivar has been around for quite some time.

Time is like a river.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2014, 05:20:51 PM »
Is the general consensus that the more dey types posses the more highland genes and consequently have more cold hardiness?

Anyone able to sell trade or point me in the right direction seeds from higher altitude varieties?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2014, 05:26:37 PM »
Is the general consensus that the more dey types posses the more highland genes and consequently have more cold hardiness?

Anyone able to sell trade or point me in the right direction seeds from higher altitude varieties?

Ek kan sade kry in September. ;)
Time is like a river.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2014, 05:41:32 PM »

Baie dankie!
red my asseblief 'n paar ;D

I don't mind paying postage and for the seeds :D
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »

Baie dankie!
red my asseblief 'n paar ;D

I don't mind paying postage and for the seeds :D

hehe Ek sal vir jou a paar kry. :)
Time is like a river.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2014, 11:19:45 AM »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2014, 03:23:57 AM »
Interesting!
http://www.cbd.int/abs/side-events/icnp2/twn-icnp2-no4-Lucuma-Peru.pdf

This type of move by a corporation or university wanting to own rights to a fruit, in this case lucuma, happens very often. And that is why countries have clamped down on what they call biopiracy. Similar thing happened in Brazil, with a Japanese company wanting to trademark cupuacu fruit. Also in Malaysia corporations went in to "study" and then use forest products as patented ingredients in pharmaceuticals. Now both Brazil and Malaysia have some of the strictest rules about removing any plant products from their countries. What these corporations do has a very negative side effects on us gardeners and seed savers.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2014, 10:34:32 AM »
My hand luggage was searched three times before I boarded a plane in Manaus (Amazon region).
As Oscar mentioned, we get affected by the "greedy" behavior of the people in charge of these entities. All they want is to make money...money.....money!  I believe that India had to fight to keep "neem", and Brasil also had to fight to keep "açaí".... That's terrible!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk