Author Topic: IV Organics 3-in-1 Plant Guard reviews and thoughts?  (Read 2229 times)

philek9

• Santa Clarita, CA
    • View Profile
IV Organics 3-in-1 Plant Guard reviews and thoughts?
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
Does anyone here use this stuff on their trees?  If so, how effective is it?  I'm looking for something that does exactly what this product is claiming to do.  Protect and repel.

IV Organic 3-in-1 Plant Guard for trees and shrubs, (such as Fruit & Nut Trees, Ornamental Trees, Roses & Shrubs). Used by home gardeners and orchard growers to protect tree trunks and branches from sunburn (summer), sunscald (winter), repel insects and rodents. This product is organic, non-toxic & environmentally safer. FIRST DEFENSE: Apply IV Organic 3-in-1 Plant Guard to provide a shield against the sun's harmful rays that cause sunburn during the hottest summers day-- as well as sunscald which is caused when the temperature abruptly rises too high during the cold winter months. Both Sunburn and Sunscald cause the tree's bark to crack and/ or die-- resulting in additional stress which get compounded by insects and parasites that enter the barkless wood-- an invasion that will ultimately shorten the tree's life. SECOND DEFENSE: Apply IV Organic 3-in-1 Plant Guard to provide a shield against beetles, termites and other wood boring, chewing & piercing type insects. Organic & effective time release defense with 7 natural oils, including castor, cinnamon, clove, garlic, peppermint, rosemary & spearmint oils. THIRD DEFENSE: Apply IV Organic 3-in-1 Plant Guard to provide a shield that repels most rodents that may gnaw on the tree's bark. This product contains castor oil, which comes from the Castor Tree Seed, and naturally makes everything coated with this product taste horrible! You can also dilute 1-2 teaspoons of the prepared IV Organic 3-in-1 Plant Guard with a gallon of water to make a foliar sun screen spray to provide your entire plant with defense to the elements up to 1-2x per year--Ideal at time of transplanting. Proud Member Of The Organic Trade Association. Registered Material For Use In Organic Agriculture, color white; colors brown & green pending.

http://ivorganics.com/product/iv-organic-3-in-1-plant-guard/#overview

Thanks!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: IV Organics 3-in-1 Plant Guard reviews and thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 12:48:48 PM »
It's similar to kaolin clay (Surround) or white paint for sunburn. Kaolin clay also offers some protection from insects although not via the natural oils route.
I'm curious how well the other ingredients work for their purpose too. I have rodents that like to eat just my mulberry young bark and shoots and no other trees. I wonder if it will repel whatever it is. According to the description, it does.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:14:34 PM »
Another way is to paint the lower part of trunk with lime, cheap and effective.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 03:29:19 PM »
Another way is to paint the lower part of trunk with lime, cheap and effective.
I thought that's for a different problem than what IV Organics' product claims to solve.

Or are you replying to me about my rodent chewing mulberry bark problem? They actually will climb up the tree to find young branches and chew them up.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 09:20:46 PM »
I really wonder about the risk of plant injury from spraying oils in hot weather.

We probably don't have that product here in Florida.
Har

sudshead

• california
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 12:01:24 AM »
iv organics is pretty much lime repackaged with a vial of oil - peppermint, etc. you can make your own and save money. Pretty much by some garden lime and mix with water. But this person in australia has a recipe they use on figs - 

George's recipe for white wash
George uses a ratio of 3 cups of lime to 1 cup of copper sulphate.

He suggests mixing the three cups of lime with two litres of water, and stir to make a paste; and mix the one cup of copper sulphate with a litre of water and stir to make a paste. This mixture should resemble quite a thick paste, finally mix these together and paint on the tree.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 01:09:07 PM »
Castor Bean is a source of Ricin, a deadly poison.

Remember the crazy religious cult in Japan, and their attack in the subway system with ricin?

I would check and double check that castor oil is free of ricin, and that the oil is allowed on what you are thinking of using it on.
Har

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 01:25:45 PM »
Last year we used it on a few newly planted avocado trees in Fallbrook to protect from the sun, rabbits nibbling on the bark, and grasshoppers.  The grasshoppers and rabbits stopped chewing on them, but all the trees seemed stunted in their growth and one died.  Other trees and seedlings without the IV Organics grew fine and outgrew the grasshopper damage and new growth of leaves shaded the branches from sun damage.  The green clay is still persistent on the branches even after a year, we will not be using it again.

Janet

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 04:29:54 PM »
I have used it at home to prevent sunburn in a Mango tree I was turning into a cocktail tree.  I painted with it after decapitation, and it worked very well.

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 04:38:07 PM »
I use white latex paint mixed witn a little water.  Cheap and available.   The cheapest white paint I could find was ceiling paint. 
Brad Spaugh

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 04:47:55 PM »
I use white latex paint mixed witn a little water.  Cheap and available.   The cheapest white paint I could find was ceiling paint.
Yes, the product is pricey.
In my grove I have used latex before many times but usually the south side still gets sun burned, I was in the progress of testing insulating beads that provide insulation mixed with the latex but the wilt came in and now the sunburn is the least of my problems,
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2022, 05:02:17 PM »
Latex paint seems to do pretty well for preventing sunburn for me but its not perfect. Sometimes needs multiple coats.  If you really want to protect a special tree, you can wrap it with 90 aluminet shade cloth.  Thats what I do on banana racks. Otherwise my bananas get sunburn.  Reminds me i have a couple avocado stumps that need to be painted.  Need to go get on that. 
Brad Spaugh